About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 50407 views.
ModDee

6/5/19

Hi Silverene,

Congratulations on 5 days of freedom and a great start to your cessation journey.  I'm glad you found us and so glad you're seriously considering taking your life back and opting for freedom.  I promise you won't regret it.  We'll be here to support you all the way. Education about our addiction is a huge key to success. Arm yourself with the tools that you will need for a successful permanent quit. Continue to read all you can about our addiction  A prepared quitter is a successful quitter. 

I'd also like to invite you to join in our Daily NOPE Pledge. NOPE stands for Not One Puff Ever. Every day we get together from around the world at all stages of quit to pledge our commitment to remaining smoke free. One member starts the thread and the rest of us join in. You can find it in the DISCUSSIONS column on the left under the heading of General Chit-Chat.

You've found the right place!  You'll have lots of company here as you and your buddies make your way through this first smoke-free month, so settle in and make yourself comfortable. Take your quit one day at a time for now - you can do this!

Best wishes.

(((Hugs)))

Congratulations on deciding to do it this time! Yes depression and the uglies are big triggers but you did not give it a full year. I found after fourteen months that my body totally calmed down. 95% of the nicotine receptors finally shut down and life as a nonsmoker was awesome and I smoked for over 44 years.

This is an ugly drug addiction, it is not cool and  everyone can deal with life issues without them.  The quote from Allen Carr's book  "We may Want them but we dont Need them" is very true. There are many things people do that are not good for them (drinking too much, eating too much etc.) and addictions are tough to break free of but, it is up to us to choose to stop smoking and poisoning our bodies.

This forum is the best rehab tool as we give each other support along the long journey as we build our solid strong quit mindset. All us like minded people have the same common goal -- freedom from this wicked tough addiction. I hated the thought of being a drug addict and the image of an old lady having a cigarette hanging out of her mouth.  My grandchildren luckily won't have that image of me. Channel your anger towards cigarettes for doing this to you and not towards family and friends. Cigarettes are to blame and we all fell for the trap. We all sure didn't want to be addicts and not be able to live without them. We must change our minds and change our thinking into positive thoughts and help rebuild our bodies. The mental battle gets tiresome and frustrating but it takes an entire year or a little more until you feel like your true new and improved self again. You know you can do this and with help from your doctor you can get free. Try out new things that you would never have done as a smoker and enjoy long conversations without interruption. My own children said it was so nice to finally have conversations without me saying I want to have a smoke. 

It does get better so nail it this time and don't let anything or anyone sabotage your quit. You already know you can do six months just keep going the whole distance this time. Good luck in your journey and post often on this forum as this place will help you in more ways than you think. Here post your frustrations and get great feedback from others battling this too. Be proud of yourself and keep thinking positively. You won't regret getting this addiction behind you once and for all. relaxed

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

AsadAKhan

6/5/19

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for sharing all this information. That is big help for all of us.

I was unable to find any information about that 95% receptors closing down after 14 months anywhere. Can you please share more details with respect to this research. The only information I found on Internet is about having same number of receptors in smoker and non-smoker at around 12 weeks mark. 

Regards,

Asad Khan.

An old forum member on the other Forum had this broken down. We have some shut down somewhere around the end of the 3rd month then more around six months and then by the end of a year 95%. Staying quit is extremely hard but if this was easy everyone would be quit. I used to get headaches and an increase in cravings around the time more receptors were about to shut down. This is why some people say they are getting out of nowhere strong cravings. Our brain is rewiring and shutting down those receptors. We get anxious, angry, moody, depressed, going looney at times but that is our brain diligently trying to fix what we screwed up by smoking. Instead of the instant aahhh feeling we got from a smoke now it takes about 10-15 minutes getting that aahh feeling through great foods, exercising, doing fun things just like Never Smokers enjoy. We Can Live Without Them. Recognize the craves as what a hardcore drug addict experiences. We get the jittery nerves, insomnia & wild mood swings too just like them. So make a solid unwavering decision to end your addiction. Be like a soldier going into battle with the Bring It On Attitude - No Fear! Smile & Snear back at that nicotine monster and be the winner in this battle. No more Romanticizing smoking or pineing over them as they are not worth it. You've been poisoning your body for years so give quitting a full year to heal it and get your true life back. Good luck.

AsadAKhan

6/5/19

Thanks. That is great help. I have faced few days where I get tons of cravings from no where along with anxiety and depression (very sad feeling). Yesterday (day 77) was one, before that it was day 64 and day 32,33,34. I think it is linked to something.

But I am not sure on the pattern.

Wondering how timings are different for different type of quits like cold turkey or NRT or medicine. Is that going to change nicotine receptor timelines or not?

It does not seem to matter whether people take NRT products or cold turkey. The nicotine products only have a very small amount of nicotine so people need not worry about getting the nicotine. The body needs time to adjust to your new life without cigarettes. Those nicotine receptors were getting their reboots with every cigarette and now they still want that boost. Over time more and more will shut down and your brain rewires and readjusts which will eventually all even out. This is a slow gradual process and at times will bring you to your knees. Just remember to just keep deep breathing, drink lots of water and stay distracted until life as a quitter becomes automatic. 

silverene102

6/5/19

I feel okay now, but I’m so petrified about upcoming months as with before I don’t really think about smoking at all, instead I feel hungry all the time. By 3 months I’ll start obsessing over some life goals and by 6 months I totally lost any desire to do anything, feel like a failure, blaming everyone and everything with so much anger.  Finally I felt like I couldn’t do it anymore and give in.

At this time, I will blame everything on cigarette. I’ll get angry with cigarettes for making me feel this way and I don’t wanna have anything to do with it anymore.  I think it’s a very good advice. I hope I will make it this time around  with the help of Zyban, new exercise routine and supports from all of you. thank you ! 

I also was hungry ALL THE TIME ESPECIALLY SWEETS!! I gained 40 pounds during my quit BUT I decided it was ok until I got totally free. The forum has a saying that Year One is for quitting and Year Two is for losing the weight and getting fit and healthy again. In year two I joined a gym hired a trainer and learned from my quit that the 3 D's work for weight loss too. Deep breathing, drinking lots of water and staying distracted from eating really helped me get into the best shape of my life. I used NRT for a few months but eventually just used things that I could chew on. I liked black licorice since I could inhale and get that nasty hand to mouth habit satisfied and by five months I gave it up too as I thought how silly I must look. I learned to deal with the anxiety of the quit through doing lots of exercise. Use whatever substitutes you can but by all means just don't smoke cigarettes ever again.  So if I can quit at my age and learn to weight lift and get strong anybody can. No worries It Can Be Done! You Got This!

AsadAKhan

6/5/19

Thanks for raising this point up. May be this is for June and should ask you questions in March forum. However I guess these questions will help all. My 2 questions are

1) I am getting lot of hunger pranks during some days and I guess now my brain is mixing cravings of nicotine with food cravings at some times. You mentioned that I should keep focus on no nicotine and eat if required. As at sometimes I am fighting with my hunger as well to avoid extra weight gain. Kindly suggest?

2) On most days I am chewing a lot of chew gums (sugar free pepper mint) as I guess they are helping me with cravings or empty feeling. I am worried that may be I will get addicted to them and my smoke free life will depend on them and if I am replacing cigarette with chew gums. Do you think if it is ok for me to use as many chew gums I want and I can get rid of them once I am smoke free for let say 1 year.

silverene102

6/5/19

Omg thank you so much, Debbie! It’s good to know I’m not the only one with constant hunger. So far I’m able to ignore it by keep telling myself I’m not actually hungry, it’s just the nicotine withdrawals talking  

im so glad to have found this forum. I’ve learned so much and actually feeling like I’ve got this and NOPE again