About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 74115 views.
Wuffie34

7/10/19

I used the patches and extended the step down after talking to my doctor. If you need NRT, then use it. There is no shame in needing a gradual step down and I had really no symptoms of nicotine withdrawal using it correctly. You will still have the mental battle but for me it was easier without having the physical aspect. I have a high stress job in the medical field so it was a necessity for me to use NRT or I wouldn't have been able to succeed. 

Haannaah

7/10/19

Hi alreadysick! Today is day 3 for me and I'm quitting cold turkey, so I cannot tell u anything about the patch, I've never tried it. I've tried to quit and failed many many times, so it´s not an easy process for me either, but there's no way out without going through it I guess. I've read Allen Carr´s book as well, and as u say a lot of it makes sense. It helped me understand a few things better, but for me quitting is still far from easy. Even with the appropriate knowledge about the addiction, is not as easy as the books says, because it is not a logical process. The physical withdrawal is not a big deal, it only lasts a few days, but the difficult part is rewiring our brain, reprogramming it. The process itself causes anxiety, so if u suffer from generalised anxiety disorder, maybe it would be a good idea to talk to ur doctor. As I said, I m no expert, but from what I understand, we have to hang on (yeah, easier said than done); time is our best ally in this process. 

In reply toRe: msg 55
Haannaah

7/11/19

Hi July group! How many are we? How´re u all hanging on? 

Day 4 for me

In reply toRe: msg 56
MichaelaOana

7/11/19

Hi everyone. When I was almost 100 days smoke free I had a relapse. There are 2 weeks of smoking but I want to start over and be a non smoker again. Looking back, I loved my life as a non smoker. So day one again...

ModSue (VentasSue)

7/11/19

Hey Michaela

Welcome back to the forum.

The very fact that you loved being a non-smoker tells me that you will quit - and quit for good.  I know what a long, hard process it is while we are still suffering from the symptoms of withdrawals during those first few months - it truly feels that you will never be comfortable in your quit.  I promise you, though, that you will.

I smoked for 52 years and was a true 'professional' smoker.  Nothing stopped me - I would even turn down invitations to any event where I couldn't feed my addiction.  I never planned to stop - everyone knew me as a smoker and, although they feared for the harm it would do me, they accepted that it was 'me'.  One Friday night, I got a bad chest infection and woke up fighting for breath.  I was terrified - less of dying than of being sick and dependent on others.  I found this forum and spent the weekend reading everything I could find here.  I quit on the Monday and have never smoked since.  We are all different and all need to figure out the best way to quit.  I quit cold turkey.  It was right for me.  I had to become obsessed with quitting to get through the pain of the early days but, hey, one day at a time, the pain lessened.  I stayed glued to the forum.  It was definitely my saviour and my lifeline.  I couldn't have quit without everyone who helped me here.

So, enough of me.  Please, please - make quitting your No. 1 priority for a while.  You'll love the benefits you will receive.  The best, for me, was the unexpected benefit of an enormous boost in my self esteem which grew as the months progressed.  I'm still incredibly proud of myself today and feel that I have proven - to myself and to others -that I'm an amazingly strong woman.  If I could quit - I just know you can.

Read and post till your fingers hurt.  I see that you had a journal during the quit.  Keep posting there and join in this group as much as you can.  My quit buddies were a huge part of the cocktail of aids provided here which enabled me to quit.  

You can do this.

MichaelaOana

7/11/19

Hi, Modsue. Thanks for your kind words. I Will writte here as often as I can. 

turtles

7/11/19

I really can relate.  I reached 101 days yesterday and feel like I just turned that corner but the days before it was like battling the cravings of two weeks.  It was horrible and almost gave in once.  Now I’m truly feeling the whole grasp slip away.  Hold on tight this time and you’ll make it.

MichaelaOana

7/11/19

Oh, Turtles. Now I want so bad to be where you are... 

In reply toRe: msg 61
ModAndrea

7/11/19

Happy Thursday, July 2019 New Ex-Smokers!

One of the features on the forum that helped keep me motivated were the Milestone posts. You can find them in the column on the left under DISCUSSIONS. (The Dots and Stars are from members celebrating weeks and months.) Here's just one.

Two months for Molly!

To all my fellow non-smokers:

I am posting a few hours early because I will be gone all day tomorrow and will not have a chance!  

My nicotine addiction started when I was 14.  Prior to this time, I thought cigarettes were gross.  My father smoked and our neighbor was a heavy smoker who would sometimes pick us up from school and smoke in the car during the winter time.  It was nauseating and I never thought in a million years I would ever be a smoker.  

Flash forward to a few years later when I was walking home from high school with my best friend.  She had been smoking for a while already and I asked her for one.  I started coughing. I didn't like it and figured I would never get hooked on it.  Flash forward again to 34 years later from that fateful day and here I am.  

Although I was considered a light smoker, this last year I started coughing pretty heavily at night and became seriously concerned about my health for the first time. Like many of you, there were numerous attempts to quit.  No matter how long I quit, I still romanticized cigarettes and longed for them like you would an unrequited lover.  LOL  Until I read Allen Carr's book.  I finally understood why I was so afraid to quit smoking and finally understood I am an addict.  For the first time, my desire to quit was stronger than my desire to smoke.  I remember thinking "I want to live."

I quit just after midnight on August 1 and had a few rough days.  Day 8 and Day 15 in particular were very difficult emotionally.  I cried uncontrollably at times and also became very irritable.  I cleaned my house, went for walks, ate sweets whenever I wanted to early on, watched a bunch of youtube videos about quitting smoking, read articles, and posted posted posted.  

After two months, this is what I love about being a non-smoker:

1.  My confidence is coming back.  There is a stigma, almost a shame in being a smoker.  Finding a place to smoke, hoping you're not disturbing your neighbors, even though you know are, etc.  I don't have to worry about that anymore.

2.  I smell great!  

3.  My skin looks better, I have more energy and am truly enjoying life in a way I didn’t think I could without cigarettes.

4.  I am not a recluse.  I used to refuse social occasions with people who didn’t know I smoked because I didn’t want to sit for hours craving a cigarette.  How much I must have missed out on.  I am much more social now.

5.  My relationship is better.  As much as I may have been irritable early on in my quit and still can be, we actually fight less now that I don’t smoke.  It was a constant battle before because I would always quit and relapse which would cause an argument.  My thinking was, how dare he tell me what to do.  The reality was I was only hurting myself.

Life is definitely better without nicotine!  I know I have a long way to go, and I could not have done this without this forum.  You are a blessing! Max, Lizzy, Gloria, Brian, Denim, Deanne, JR, David, Mercy, Michele, Anitia, Mod Sue and Dee, and so many others who have guided and supported me in this quit.  You said it would get better and it is getting so much better already.  Looking forward to the day when I will not think about cigs ever again.

For the newbies, it does get better with time and patience.  Patience may be difficult for us addicts because we are used to instant gratification, but it will get better in time if you don't smoke.  So the saying “one day at a time.”  Grateful to be on this journey with you all and thank you for your continued support.  Fight on my friends!

Thanks Andrea,

Good to look forward occasionally make sure your on the right track and to be motivated and inspired.

Kind regards

Anthony