About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 40347 views.

How do you act around other people having this brain fog?  I certainly don’t feel normal.

SusanK1960

Dec-21

Hi Lainie,

Arielle posted a message here on Dec 11th that she relapsed.  Hopefully she will join again after the holidays.

What's the old saying Fake it till you make it. Smile even though you don't want to. We all face different stresses when we are quitting. I hope you soon start to feel better. Having depression and / or other mental illnesses makes quitting very tough but there have been many that successfully quit in the years I've been on this forum. 

Being around others is tough when you feel so blah. But just plug along, go for a walk outside when you feel like your emotions get to be too much. I did find deep breathing helped. Being around nonsmokers really helped too as did talking to a friend on the phone. There is no magic to this. We just need to keep going till not smoking is the norm. Our brain will fix everything with time. 

Keep up the great job of getting through another day. You do have the strength to go the distance. Good luck.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

SusanK1960

Dec-21

Hi again, 

Perhaps you can talk to your psychiatrist about post acute withdrawal syndrome.  I included an article.

https://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/post-acute-withdrawal.htm

Should I be concerned about that yet?  I’m at 3 1/2 months.  Everyone’s telling me everything I’m experiencing is normal for this time period.  I’m still waiting for some relief from these symptoms

of low mood brain fog , etc.

SusanK1960

Dec-21

I can’t answer that question, however, I sent the article to you to ask your doctor in Jan. 

Ovivi

Dec-21

This is so helpful to read. I find I’m very emotional these days. Things people say as a joke suddenly hurt me. I feel like avoiding certain situations where there are a lot of people. I though it was just me being extra sensitive.

Until I finally got free I also didn't realize how emotional quitting could be. We gave so much of our lives to cigarettes and didn't think twice about why we smoked. On average smokers smoke anywhere from 1-3 hours every day. 

Now as quitters that's all we do -- think and think of how to stay quit all the while wanting that cigarette to ease our discomfort. 

Remember if this was easy everyone would be quit since smoking is so disgusting and people don't want to be around smokers anymore. Cigarettes are no longer cool or the grownup thing to do.

But once we quit, our emotions take over and our everyday lives are overwhelmed by our incessant want for those cigarettes. The daily battle is worth it and this forum is the extra tool that helps you stay on track. Just think about staying quit for today and get to bed smoke free and repeat this till it is all automatic. Exercise and weight lifting helped me stay happier as those feel good endorphins really boosted my moods. Instead of the instant aahh from smoking, now we must get it like all nonsmokers from good foods, fun things, exercise etc. it may take longer but at least our lungs are not getting poisoned anymore. 

I wish you continuous success in your quit, stay close to the forum and be proud to be a quitter.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Belinda2019

Dec-22

Susan, thank you so much for posting the info on PAWS...

I read it all, and I could absolutely see where, in previous quits, I’d literally set myself up to fail....And such a weight off knowing that this can go on for two years, so it is ‘normal’.....

Thank god for you, and this forum - I’m learning so much

NOPE 

Seized the Day 17th October 2019

48yrsmokin

Dec-23

WOW What a weekend Trials and tribulations. This is where in the past I would haVE CAVED IN. I DIDN"T but i felt sorry for my wife. I was on total bitch mode. Up andf down and all around the head was in total fog. I'm glad I get to read about this being normal for a quit thru this forum or I would have put it all to an end and fired 1 of those bad boys up. and relaxed like I used too.  But take a deep breathe like a million times and get threw it. Beauty weekend weather enjoyed on sunday= saturday was bad- nothing helped that day. Well now that I got it all out I'll try to get through this week Day by Day and still Hour by Hour.m I don't like being a whinner. but just had to vent.                                                                                                               STILL saying NOPE TO THE SMOKE 17th OCT  2019