About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 70494 views.
Ovivi

10/9/19

How’s today going, Fairycake? Be kind to yourself today, you are doing a great and hard thing by quitting those sickarettes!
Ovivi

10/9/19

Way to go, Wayne! Take extra special good care of yourself these next few days, as if you were sick. Rest a lot, do things that make you smile, have a little snack, whatever feels good that’s not smoking. You are breaking free! No more nicotine poison in your system, no more being a prisoner to something that’s trying to kill you! Congratulations!
Wayne1957

10/9/19

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome and encouragement.  I've now crossed the 49 hour mark, and I'm still hanging in there.  I hope everyone else is still on plan as well.

Wayne

Meredith (GettinFree)

10/9/19

I think this is my favorite sentence on all of VeryWell:

"Allow recovery to unfold for you as it will, and you will find your freedom, just as others before you have."

from https://www.verywellmind.com/stress-and-smoking-cessation-2825273

slowblumer

10/10/19

Hi Meredith,

That's a really good article and hits it right on the head.  This part is critical:

"Apart from the physical side of recovery from nicotine addiction, we must also begin the work of dealing with the feelings associated with our cigarettes — the psychological side of smoking.

When we quit, we quickly start to feel the stress of emotional loss, which is triggered by the many associations we've built up around smoking over the years. We smoked when we were happy, angry, sad, bored, lonely... you name it. When we stop smoking, the emotions that bubble up are often powerful and can take us by surprise.

Healing the mental side of nicotine addiction is where the real work of smoking cessation lies for most people.

As you erase old associations and habits one-by-one and replace them with new, healthier choices, quit-related stress will be reduced and your ability to manage stress in other areas of your life will improve".

Clearlungs16

10/10/19

Thank you, you stated precisely how I feel, and the circle I've been through with all my relapses.  You get it!

JR (DPartonFan)

10/10/19

Wayne,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the decision to break the chains of nicotine that have bound you for so many decades.

Today is my one year anniversary and I am so grateful to be one year nicotine free. This was not the easiest journey for me but it is one that I am so thankful I chose to make. 

Most days now I never even think about cigarettes and the cravings are mostly non-existent. I did use the patches for about three weeks in the beginning to lessen the withdrawal and that helped me a lot. 

Hang in there, stay close to the forum and read as much as you can about breaking free from addiction. Allen Carr’s book Easyway to Stop Smoking helped me a lot. I always thought smoking was just a bad habit to break but once I realized it wasn’t a habit but a drug addiction instead then I was able to dig in my heels determined to break the addiction successfully. Good luck to you...I promise you can succeed at quitting.

Congratulations on hitting the 1YEAR CLUBHOUSE!!!!!

You earned your freedom! This past year was a slow frustrating struggle but you hung in there and pledged NOPE every single day and now you get the freedom. Keep diligent through year two as by the end of year two we have an 80% chance of remaining quit for life. Don't ever fall for the just one junkie thinking as its a trap as you know. Keep on coming back and posting plus support all the new quitters on their quest for freedom. You've definitely proved that you are no sissy!!

"Quitting isn't for Sisies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

June2019

10/10/19

Someone's got a fancy, new, hard earned key! Congrats on this special day, JR!