About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

November 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 27768 views.

Hi 48 yrs,

You are absolutely right about the mind games.   They can shake you to your core.  But each time you take a deep through a craving, a little bit of healing takes place.   We often can't see this healing and have to trust it is there.  The 'I AM COMMITTED' is a powerful thing.  It is stating  that. 'no matter what happens, I am not going to smoke '.  

My quit buddy Steve, used to say that we have the freedom not to smoke.  He used to say it to me over and over in the early days.  It helped.  Another buddy kept telling me to 'stay in the boat'.  We can create our own mind games to combat the constant bombardment from our brain looking for it's fix.

Positive Self Talk For A Better Life

Negative self-talk limits you, increases stress, and hurts your self-concept. These effective strategies can help you stop a negative self-talk habit.

SusanK1960

Dec-20

Happy day!  You are one month of being free of nicotine!  How wonderful is it to breathing free-er?!  Keep it up!

CC to Deborah S
  • Edited December 27, 2019 12:58 am  by  SusanK1960
Belinda2019

Dec-20

Absolutely Ed! It should be getting easier, not harder!

So today I’m wrapping presents. After every couple, a crave....sigh. Then I remembered, it takes about a year to re do all the stuff you did as a smoker, but now as a non smoker....

Now I’m saying to each one, ‘thanks for coming, but you can go now, I got this on my own.’ And they are getting fewer - I just wrapped four gifts without one so currently #winning lol  

And I’m in a better mood too, so hopefully that continues, I need to pick up my partner from the airport this arvo

Keep on NOPE-ing!

NOPE

Seized the Day 17th October 2017

In reply toRe: msg 299
Denim50

Dec-25

Hey November ‘19 group, 

Congratulations on one month smoke free this month!  I wish all of you continued success in the coming year.

I also wish all of you happy holidays and a happy and healthy New Year.   

• Edited December 25, 2019 3:42 pm  by  Denim50
In reply toRe: msg 300
Newthomas

Dec-25

Hey group. Made it thru Christmas day. It's the quiet hours at night that are the worst for me. This will be like a test run for New Year's Eve. 

Belinda2019

Dec-25

Well done Newthomas! You absolute legend.....very proud for you

I made it through too....go us!!!!

NOPE

Seized the Day 17th October 2019

In reply toRe: msg 302
Tjs1599

Dec-26

I have not posted for awhile and thought I would update and reconnect with November group.  I am still smoke free.  Jan 1 will be 2 months.  I took on a new job the first part of December and they random check for Nicotine.  Just another back up.  I am having some days harder than others for not smoking.  Forgot the stress involved with a new job.  But one deep breathe at a time and I am making it through.  Coming back to this group is the best decision I can make.  I DO need the support...not just random Nicotine test.  Happy Holidays and the best gift I got this year was another day of not smoking. NOPE.

SusanK1960

Dec-27

Hi,

It is great to hear from you and I am so happy you are still a not smoker!

I was surprised to hear that your company does random nicotine tests. Was being a non smoker a condition of being employed?  

SusanK1960

Dec-27

Hi Newthomas,

That is great to hear!  I think that you will do just as well at New Years Eve.  Are you going to Times Square?