About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quitting Causing Depression   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/2/19 by missmypal; 10473 views.
CindiS319

5/4/19

Hi Marci,

That is really a good point.  Even though everyone else thought of you as a non-smoker, how did you see yourself?  Smoking is so time consuming, when you quit it's like you don't know what the heck to do with all that time.  Plus how much time we spent planning on where and when we were going to get our next fix (especially if you were a closet smoker) you probably don't know what to do with all this extra time.  Try and find some new hobbies or something fun to take up all this time you now have.  It will help take your mind off it.  I remember time going so slow the first few months.  Sometimes I would just go to bed early because I wanted to smoke so bad and couldn't shake it.  Sometimes I would just sit and cry because I felt so frustrated.  Didn't help the fact that my husband still smoked and still does.  Now I could really care less.  I actually get aggravated when he has to stop and take the time to smoke and I have to wait for him. rage

Anyway, just do whatever you need to....just don't smoke.  It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life but it will get better (I will keep telling you that) and you are doing it.  Hugs to you my new friend!

missmypal

5/4/19

Yup, empty weekends are hard. Thanks, thanks, thanks for your support. It really means a lot. I love being called your “new friend.” 

xo

Marci

missmypal said:

“I want to get back to who I used to be” or “ I don’t know who I am anymore.” I didn’t think those feelings were related to smoking but now I am.

Hi Marci,

That's a right on way to describe how we feel once we quit smoking.  Our lives were wrapped up in 'feeding the beast'.  Smoking was intermingled in every thing we did.  Once we quit, we have to learn to live as a non-smoker.  The first couple of months I didn't want to get out of bed because I could not smoke.  Now I see the addiction made me feel that way. 

My doc put me on an anti depressant for a full year and it helped.  However it was not until month 10 that I really turned a corner in the quit. 

So, keep on keeping on because it will happen for you in whatever time it takes.  I was a long time smoker  (over 40 yrs).  We are all different in the amount of time we smoked and our health at the time.   You will find that it will be all be worth this struggle.  

missmypal

5/4/19

Thank you so much. I hope I can turn that corner soon. And I guess I’ll have to embrace the new me. 

CindiS319

5/4/19

Marge really said it so nicely.  You really need to find what works for you to pull you through the hard times.  It will definitely pass but it takes time.  We are all here for you.  I was seriously a mess the first 6 months (or maybe even more), but I was determined for more than one reason.  My friends here (including you because I still fight the demon here and there and thing about my new friends) on the forum have been my saving grace.  Have you hooked up with your quit buddies because they were my saving grace.  Marilyn, Brain, Denim, Tom, Mike, not to mention the mods, Marge, Susan, Anita,  Suzie, many more.... You can do this Marci.  We are all here for you!

CindiS319

5/4/19

Marci, 

I'm not sure if you're doing this or not but you are 5 months (or more into this), reach out to newbies on the forum.  It really gives you more inspiration.  There are so many that are 1 day, 1 week, 1 month...that you can help and inspire at 5 months.  That's a huge accomplishment.  They need your words of wisdom to pull them through.  Those first few weeks (or days) are really rough and you can make a difference. 

CindiS319

5/4/19

Emily,

Congratulations to your for 2.5 months!  That is such an accomplishment.  I'm 53 and understand what you're going through.  You can do this...just take it day by day.

overdoz

5/5/19

I really know how you feel ive been quit for about 6.5 months and as soon as spring came around, cravings out of nowhere, depression feeling horrible i had to go on the patch again which has helped a lot. I know the feeling is terrible, but cigs won't make it better though, i think its just the change of seasons really effects everyone in a  different way, i see people around Chicago walking around like their crazy, we had a bad winter and now we have awesome spring weather. Maybe the weather can be a factor. 

Robin212

5/6/19

I can relate to so much of what you talk about. I still cry...totally random. 

I took LOTS of naps the first month because I just didn't know what to do with myself. 

I still lay down sometimes and isolate myself bc I just get antsy.

There is definitely a new normal learning curve. I am still trying to figure out what my normal is. I started smoking at 13 ..I know my emotional growth was stunted. Everything we do without smoking is a brand new experience. And now it's a new season with new triggers. Marcy we gotta get through this first year! 

missmypal

5/7/19

Thanks. We have to stick together and we have to make that year. Unfortunately I can’t sleep during the day. If I try to nap I lie awake thinking. And that’s no good. 

But we’ll get through it. . . together!

??