About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quitting Causing Depression   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/2/19 by missmypal; 11909 views.
missmypal

5/4/19

Thank you so much. I hope I can turn that corner soon. And I guess I’ll have to embrace the new me. 

CindiS319

5/4/19

Marge really said it so nicely.  You really need to find what works for you to pull you through the hard times.  It will definitely pass but it takes time.  We are all here for you.  I was seriously a mess the first 6 months (or maybe even more), but I was determined for more than one reason.  My friends here (including you because I still fight the demon here and there and thing about my new friends) on the forum have been my saving grace.  Have you hooked up with your quit buddies because they were my saving grace.  Marilyn, Brain, Denim, Tom, Mike, not to mention the mods, Marge, Susan, Anita,  Suzie, many more.... You can do this Marci.  We are all here for you!

CindiS319

5/4/19

Marci, 

I'm not sure if you're doing this or not but you are 5 months (or more into this), reach out to newbies on the forum.  It really gives you more inspiration.  There are so many that are 1 day, 1 week, 1 month...that you can help and inspire at 5 months.  That's a huge accomplishment.  They need your words of wisdom to pull them through.  Those first few weeks (or days) are really rough and you can make a difference. 

CindiS319

5/4/19

Emily,

Congratulations to your for 2.5 months!  That is such an accomplishment.  I'm 53 and understand what you're going through.  You can do this...just take it day by day.

overdoz

5/5/19

I really know how you feel ive been quit for about 6.5 months and as soon as spring came around, cravings out of nowhere, depression feeling horrible i had to go on the patch again which has helped a lot. I know the feeling is terrible, but cigs won't make it better though, i think its just the change of seasons really effects everyone in a  different way, i see people around Chicago walking around like their crazy, we had a bad winter and now we have awesome spring weather. Maybe the weather can be a factor. 

Robin212

5/6/19

I can relate to so much of what you talk about. I still cry...totally random. 

I took LOTS of naps the first month because I just didn't know what to do with myself. 

I still lay down sometimes and isolate myself bc I just get antsy.

There is definitely a new normal learning curve. I am still trying to figure out what my normal is. I started smoking at 13 ..I know my emotional growth was stunted. Everything we do without smoking is a brand new experience. And now it's a new season with new triggers. Marcy we gotta get through this first year! 

missmypal

5/7/19

Thanks. We have to stick together and we have to make that year. Unfortunately I can’t sleep during the day. If I try to nap I lie awake thinking. And that’s no good. 

But we’ll get through it. . . together!

??

missmypal

5/27/19

You know, I’ve been thinking about depression and quitting and I think my blues at this time might be a “Gee, it’s really over.” “It” being youth. Now I’m a responsible adult watching my diet, quitting smoking, using sunscreen, no partying, good night’s sleep, ya da ya da ya. I’m too old to live recklessly. I know that I’m going to die. Really know it. That is depressing. But I stayed strong today. I was looking for something and stumbled on an “emergency” cigarette in a drawer. At first I just shut the drawer to leave the emergency smoke there, just in case. But, fairly quickly, I broke the cigarette into pieces and dropped it in the trash. I’m not going back. Six months next week. 

sheyj

5/28/19

I’ve wondered about you! just yesterday actually. Such a great point MMP. I miss my youth, too, and can really agree with your thoughts on that and not smoking. It IS sad to come face to face with “that was then, this is now.”  Just like cigarettes, I personally “romance those days.” But, I know if I dwell there very long, I also remember some I would NEVER want to relive. Not the least of which was smoking for pleasure and fun and then becoming deeply addicted, for so many years. If I knew this then, that’s a part I wouldn’t have done! [Where does it go from social to need?! That would’ve been my limit.]

Like you, MMP, I had a “moment,” yesterday - I had a perfect opportunity to smoke. NO one smokes in my life, so that’s highly unusual (without buying a pack). I thought about it; held the cigarette then dropped it. This has not been an easy “yay I’m a non-smoker, I hate smoking” experience for me; but that minute felt final, like I turned a corner - like I’m not going back either. The sense of victory and joy may just be later for me—I so don’t want the addiction, even if I’m one of the people who admits to having liked smoking.

Congrats on almost 6 months, MMP. 

Sheyj 5 months, yesterday 

missmypal

5/28/19

Thank you for understanding. And congrats on beating temptation. So many times I’d quit but always knew, not too far back in my mind, that I’d have just one when things got rough. That’s why that cigarette was tucked in that drawer. So good to have not searched for a hidden smoke since December. And to have tossed one when I found it.