About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quitting Causing Depression   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/2/19 by missmypal; 11948 views.

For me 14 months was when I finally found my entire body calm down and those cravings were nonexistent. I know it is a long time but you'll still get craves in the tricky 8-11 month time period. We have a thread called The Tricky 8-11 Months - please read it. The craves occur because more nicotine receptors are shutting down and out nervous system (brain) gets a little irritable and those smoking memories come into focus. The big thing is to just let those thoughts pass by. 

Congratulations on getting through the toughest part. Now, just stay on target and win your freedom. We can't rush this anyways so just keep taking this one day at a time. No Fear - Freedom will soon be yours!!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Janinelove

7/8/19

for me now it seemed the first 2 years after quitting smoking went fast. However, living the first 1.5 yrs after quitting it went painfully slow. Just hang in there and fight. It so worth it. 14 months is not comparable to many several years of being smoke free, addiction free, and healthy

missmypal

7/14/19

What medical issues are you dealing with?

Yvonne1956

7/14/19

Hi missmypal, When I read that you still have depression after 7 months it scares me. I have quit various times but this is the first time my depression has been really bad. I quit cold turkey 5 weeks ago, felt so bad after the second week that I was prescribed wellbutrin which I have been taking for almost a month and still feel depressed and it takes a lot of effort to do anything.

It has helped me to read the messages here and the support you are giving to each other. It frightens me to think that I'm fine smoking but depressed when I'm not and if its really worth it. I've smoked off and on for at least 40 years.

Would appreciate any advise. 

CC to CindiS319

As a long term quitter just know that some people that already suffer from depression may find quitting more difficult But, many of the successful quitters say that there worst depression symptoms lifted after that first year. We all go into a type of depression and shock when we first quit. But cigarettes will cause unending suffering later in life. My teeth got the brunt of my smoking addiction as I've had 12 root canals and now 6 dental implants all due to smoking because smoking robbed my gums of proper oxygen supply. Also, on a sadder note, all our close friends that smoked are dead. They all got cancers and none of them made it to age 65. So, rethink your situation the rationalization of continuing smoking makes no sense. Keep in close contact with your doctor and use whatever substitutes you can and using NRT products helps most people get over the hard months of the quit. Read all the articles on this forum and get fully educated on what to expect as the weeks and months go by. Pack your patience as this is a slow process. Protect your quit and don't let anything or anyone sabotage your quit. You can do this just like so many have. Be proud to be a quitter!! 

missmypal

7/15/19

I don’t think my depression is all smoking, non smoking, related. I think it may actually be a smaller part than I thought. I have had deep depressions while smoking and I was depressed before my quit. So don’t go back to smoking. Stick with the Wellbutrin. Smoking wouldn’t bring me out. I know that. Hoping meds can do it. 

Yvonne1956

7/15/19

Thank you! I'm exercising and doing Yoga and that has helped me a lot and yes I will continue with wellbutrin.

Yvonne

59NoNo

8/28/19

Are you happy with your implants? - I am going today to get two placed with bone grafts - I am nervous as all he—.  Smoking took my teeth as well and now at 7 months quit - Implants are my gift to myself.  I just hope I can get through the process.  

I was happy for a few years but I've had lots of pain with mine as they shifted. I'm now scheduled for a double mastectomy and will remove them - going flat. I have the breast cancer gene, and have cancer in the ducts and all the women in my family have died of breast cancer so I'm getting rid of the problem. Cancer will not bring me down. 

It is important to know that they are not meant to be in your chest forever. There are many cases of women with illnesses due to breast implants since they are a foreign body. Some women have had mold going inside them others end up with terrible infections.  So, Make sure you have a reputable surgeon. You'll be ok with the surgery. I found it weakened my back muscles for a while but it was due to the anesthetic but I felt great within a week. 

Hope it all works out great for you. Congratulations on hitting 7 months quit. You are well on your way to freedom. 

59NoNo

8/29/19

Wow - sorry to hear that - good luck with your surgery.  That has to be horrible decision to have to make.  

I did not get breast implants - but 2 dental implants - I survived the procedure and now have to heal and will get two more in 3 months if these take.  Hopefully all goes well.