About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quitting Causing Depression   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/2/19 by missmypal; 10705 views.
59NoNo

8/28/19

Are you happy with your implants? - I am going today to get two placed with bone grafts - I am nervous as all he—.  Smoking took my teeth as well and now at 7 months quit - Implants are my gift to myself.  I just hope I can get through the process.  

I was happy for a few years but I've had lots of pain with mine as they shifted. I'm now scheduled for a double mastectomy and will remove them - going flat. I have the breast cancer gene, and have cancer in the ducts and all the women in my family have died of breast cancer so I'm getting rid of the problem. Cancer will not bring me down. 

It is important to know that they are not meant to be in your chest forever. There are many cases of women with illnesses due to breast implants since they are a foreign body. Some women have had mold going inside them others end up with terrible infections.  So, Make sure you have a reputable surgeon. You'll be ok with the surgery. I found it weakened my back muscles for a while but it was due to the anesthetic but I felt great within a week. 

Hope it all works out great for you. Congratulations on hitting 7 months quit. You are well on your way to freedom. 

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

59NoNo

8/29/19

Wow - sorry to hear that - good luck with your surgery.  That has to be horrible decision to have to make.  

I did not get breast implants - but 2 dental implants - I survived the procedure and now have to heal and will get two more in 3 months if these take.  Hopefully all goes well.  

OH hahaha those kind of implants. Yes I've had six dental implants. The worst part is the pulling out of the old tooth which was very painful. I didn't suffer from too much swelling and the antibiotics and steroid tabs helped.  The dental implants are expensive but they sure feel like a regular tooth. Smoking ruined my teeth! So this is another reason to quit those wicked things. Good luck in your recovery. 

alreadysick

8/29/19

Debbie,

You have been so supportive and such an inspiration to me since I started my quit. Prayers for you as you go through this tough surgical procedure. I'm sure you will be fine as you have such a great attitude. Keep us posted on your post-op status.

Michele

Killed the beast 7/9/19

Thank you Michele. I will be happy to get these cancer bombs removed as I need to see my grandsons grow up. One is 16 months and the other is 7 years old. They are my greatest joy. Quitting smoking taught me what patience with the process truly means. Also sticking with my decision, delaying my impulsiveness and staying determined to conquer a challenge are lessons I learned from quitting. I'm ready to handle what lies ahead of me without dread. I will post again once my surgery us behind me. Thanks again. 

Haannaah

8/29/19

You've been a big support for me as well, Debbie and I am so grateful. I'm sorry to read about this surgical procedure. I m keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

AnnieXS

9/1/19

Hi Debbie:

You were an inspiration to me in the first year (the toughest year) of my quit.  Thanks for all you do here.

Sending positive thoughts your way for your surgery.  I lost my sister to metastatic breast cancer back in 2001.  There is no history in our family but she had implants for 20+ years.  The implants obscured her mammograms so by the time she had them removed (she felt like one had shifted), they also took out a 2" tumor, which is really what she felt.  I can't help but think she would still be here if it weren't for those implants.  It isn't worth it.  I'm so happy you are addressing it, particularly with your family history, so you have many more years to watch your grandchildren grow up.

(((hugs)))

AnnieXS

Quit May 8, 2015

Thank you for your good wishes on my upcoming surgery. My very deepest sympathy on the loss of your sister to breast cancer. I sure hope I get these things off soon as I am afraid I have the same issue as your sister. Breast implants are foreign to our bodies and who knows if our immune systems can cope with them. My sister is dying from breast cancer and I'm determined to battle against this wicked disease. I want to see my grandsons grow up as my own sons didn't have my mom around for very long. I'm so thrilled to have conquered quitting as it will help me heal so much faster. Congrats to you on staying a quitter for 4+ years. You will inspire so many people to hang in there!

Thanks again.

AnnieXS

9/1/19

Thanks.  I am just so sorry to hear you are going through this with your sister.  

You are a warrior, Debbie.  You slayed the nicodemon, not an easy task.  I know this is different, but part of it is your mindset, and it is clear you have a very strong will.  Sending positive thoughts for a good outcome.  I hope you are going in sooner than later.  

Please keep us posted.

AnnieXS

Quit May 8, 2015