About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quitting Causing Depression   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/2/19 by missmypal; 11903 views.
arlcruise

Jul-28

What helped me in this regard was recognizing smoking was a self created state of depression. Because of the need to re nicotine ourselves after crashing from an endless cycle of needing to feed ourselves. 

Missmypal, I'm glad I'm not alone, though you may be a forum ghost by now.
I wish anybody talked about how nicotine is an antidepressant and how the ONE THING you don't do with an antidepressant is abruptly stop taking it without medical supervision. I wish I had known the psychological shock would cost me my favorite pastime and my best friend and how the imminent threat of also losing husband and roof would break me. (Thankfully I still have both and they're a great support as I glue myself back together.) I wish anyone talked about how a year is just a convenient fiction and how that key's gonna feel pretty dang Pyrrhic when I still feel like this in a month and four days. I wish I had found this thread and the "Tricky 8-11 Months" about, ohsay, 10 months ago.
On the other hand, I shudder to think of a shiny-eyed, determined New Quitter coming upon this rant or others. So maybe it's for the best.

I know my brain and psyche will heal. I know I'll rebuild better, faster, stronger. I know this is my Path and what I need to learn.
And so far, it really, really sucks.

missmypal

Aug-1

Hi. I hear ya’ and feel ya’. It took me almost 18 months to climb out of depression, which I’m not sure was 100% related to quitting. But quitting and being without the chemical comfort of cigarettes definitely prolonged it. I didn’t come out of it in a snap. It was gradual, but I did come out of it. Still smoke free and feel pretty good about giving up smokes. No cravings, even if I have a drink. Or two. 
you WILL come out of this! You have to keep telling yourself that. Because it’s the truth. You are doing a good job, even if it doesn’t feel that way. You are going to be okay. Smoking won’t help now. But maybe talk to your doc about Rx anti-depressants. I take them. Hang in there and do only as much as you can. 
Marci

arlcruise

Aug-1

Try looking at whyquit, Joel Spitzer. You may find answers. I did.

missmypal

Aug-1

Thanks. I’m firmly a non-smoker now. No cravings. Lucky I guess.