About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Where is everyone from?   General Chit-Chat

Started 8/26/19 by Jan2185; 5547 views.
lindnog

8/30/19

Thanks Jan, how far along are you with your quit and how are you feeling?

Brenda (1sept19)

8/30/19

From beautiful Colorado here.  If you smoke generics, you can buy them for around 3.69 a pack.  Name brands range between 5-7 dollars a pack

Jan2185

8/30/19

Hi again, I have actually stopped now for 25 weeks last Sunday (quit on the 3rd March this year) after smoking for 48 years.  I found it very hard at first because I didn't want to quit but certain circumstances made me.  I was a "secret" smoker for 10 years but at the beginning of this year I had two health scares and a massive row with my husband - it was exactly what I needed to make me stop.  I havn't had any aids to help me because I just felt that I was swapping one addiction for another so have kept  strong with the help of this forum and my own thoughts of why I quit in the first place.  I still crave a smoke and i still dream vividly - sometimes so vividly in fact that when I wake up I feel I have had one!!!!  

Some days are great and I hardly think of it but others, usually when i am alone at home or get a little stressed over something, I think I would like one - but so far, I havnt and I dearly hope I never will.  I have made sure there are no cigarettes in the house so it would make it more difficult if I have the craving whilst here alone.  

All in all I think we are all very strong on this forum and our strength helps others... i love being honest, which i can do here - I love admitting these things to people who listen and understand - and i love sharing my thoughts, fears and successes  - thank you all

Well done on your progress so far lindnog - keep strong and keep typing here - it really does help :)

Jan sunflower

• Edited August 30, 2019 11:39 am  by  Jan2185
lindnog

8/30/19

Wow Jan so you are nearly at the 6 months mark, that’s brilliant!

I was once a secret smoker for a while, but that is even more stressful than ever. 

I'm not using any quit aids as I am following Allen Carr’s instructions which I think could help you a great deal. He explains why we shouldn’t use the willpower method as it makes us feel as though we are missing out on smoking and feel as though cigarettes are precious to us. 

Mum doing okay although it is only my second day, this morning instead of getting up and having my usual cup of tea and a cigarette I had a sick of toast and a cup of coffee. I’ve had thoughts to do with smoking/cigarettes but not any cravings .

Have a good weekend Jan xx

Jan2185

8/30/19

Yep it will be 6 months on the 3rd September :).  i have just read some reviews on Allen Carr's book and they are very mixed. Do you think it has helped you a lot?  Some have said its very patronising and very repetitive but it worked, one even said it was annoying.. just wondering how you have found it...

Hoping the weather stays good this weekend as i am not working :).. enjoy yours too

take care xx

sunflower

lindnog

8/30/19

Hi Jan, 

I feel that without me reading Allen Carr’s book I would never have been able to stop smoking. Yes he is very repetitive but I do think this is needed to help reinforce his points. He helps the smoker to see the traps that nicotine keeps us slaves to and his method to stop is very much common sense and he takes the fear out of stopping. I bought mine on EBay and I definitely recommend you read it. He does tell the reader to continue to smoke until they have finished reading the book, but you are already now a non smoker so don’t start smoking! 

Ill be talking my dog out for a long walk in the morning and getting my hair cut on the afternoon 

Jan2185

8/30/19

Thanks for the info and I definitely wont start smoking again lol :)

Enjoy your walk in the morning... i am catching up on a few chores round the house and just chilling out a bit :)

sunflower

I'm coming up to 6 years quit and Allen Carr's book got me into The Quit Mindset. I still used NRT and other substitutes but what he wrote hit a nerve with me and I liked his viewpoints about cigarettes and the addiction. His book, the many YouTube videos on quitting, the Whyquit.com site and most of all This Forum were the constant support only a click away. Everyone here wants to be done with smoking. We exsmokers know your pain and the pay it forward support helps everyone stay involved and dedicated to getting free. I also hated the thought of being a drug addict. Getting through the first year takes tenacity so dig deep and read everything so you get as much information you can so you are aware of what to expect as the months go by. Good luck in your quit.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

lindnog

8/31/19

Hi Jan, I’m just back from my walk in the woods and usually when I get back home, the first thing I do is make a cup of coffee and have a cigarette. Not today, I’ve had a drink of water and came on to this forum. 

This morning I have been watching some videos on YouTube and in particular a man called Chris Skoyles. He has lots of videos talking about aspects of stopping smoking. Have a look see if you can find him and if not let me know and I will see if I can send you a link. 

Have a good day xx

lindnog

8/31/19

Hi Debbie, I remember chatting with you when I was on here before, I think we played some word games together lol

It is most definitely a case of getting yourself in the right mindset to quit and stay quit. I think a huge part for me is not using the willpower method as it would make you feel as thought you were missing out on something very precious  

Today is day 3 and I’m feeling okay, I’ve been out in the woods taking my dog out for a walk, breathing in lots of lovely fresh air. I’m going to the hairdressers this afternoon.

Thank you Debbie for your advice and support