About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 37    General Chit-Chat

Started Oct-9 by james5040; 384 views.
james5040

Oct-9

I am on day 37 still using gum and lozenges but I am down to 2-3 of those a day. Today has been a rough day but I will make it through. My biggest problem is that I have gained weight. Already 12 lbs. For those of you that are early in your quit plan something to do with your time. My wife keeps laughing at me because I am always in the fridge or pantry. I know its just that I am looking for something to do at the times that I would normally be getting up to go outside to smoke. Looks like I need to use some of that time I am getting back from not smoking at the gym. 

James, Hear Dat! On top of totally freaking my pattern-loving brain out, I quit being able to feel hunger -- so I'm right there at the pantry with ya (lol, especially since I'd go through the kitchen to smoke on the back porch). And hey, I'm at day 37 too! Frankly, I've just been so crazy I couldn't even tell you how it happened. ;) I'm so grateful that part seems to be dying down.

Finally it dawned on me (thanks Trish) to just eat at specific clock times...hopefully it'll at least help slow the weight gain (8lbs so far). Maybe I can even keep the clock times and just make the amounts smaller...;D

james5040

Oct-9

Good job on day 37! It hasn’t been easy but it is getting easier. At least for me I don’t feel the urge to smoke nearly as often but it does seem like when I crave one I REALLY crave one. 

I went out to get some fresh air today during lunch and there were people smoking in the smoking area about 100 feet away. All of a sudden the wind changed direction blowing their smoke my way. It smelled horrible. So I guess that’s a plus. 

As far as the weight and eating I’m a little different than you in that ever since I quit I feel like I am always hungry. I’ve never been the most in shape person. But I’m not usually out of shape either. I work out or jog a couple days per week so kind of the Dad bod look. But the weight I put on recently is starting to get to me. Clothes don’t fit. I’m down to only one pair of jeans and if this continues I’m about two weeks away from having to get a brand new work wardrobe.  I’m not sure that there is anything I want to do about that right now because what I am doing to quit smoking is working. But Eventually I’m going to have to spend a few months of serious working out to get rid of this. 

What do you feel has been the best part of your quit in the 37 days so far?

Mine is that I woke up in a great mood a couple of times in the past week. I mean genuinely happy the moment my eyes opened. I’m not sure that as a smoker I ever once woke up happy. I always woke up needing a cigarette. 

Ooo, good question. Not wheezing at night is a big relief. That one was pretty scary.

My favorite, though, really is just watching my brain adapt. Mostly I just get sucked into the freak-out, sure, but when I remember to step back, it's actually pretty cool to watch. And super empowering, like looky what I'm making!

And, of course, BEING FREE.

And as for the bod, yeah, it's more than worth it and it's not like I was gonna be tryin'a git some or something (monogamously committed and very, very happy about it), but it woulda been nice to be able to wear my favorite swimsuit at my resort vacation in early December.

trish2uh

Oct-10

70 days no smoking....I've finally been able to sleep again.  I couldn't lie down without coughing for about a month so got very little sleep.  I'm finally sleeping now through the night no coughing or wheezing.  And breathing is finally getting easier if I just wouldn't think about it I give myself panic attacks breathing just thinking about what I went though early on.  But I'm still happy I made it this far!!

Brenda (1sept19)

Oct-11

YAY Trish, 70 days down and sleeping and breathing good.  We are all doing this one day at a time and together.

james5040

Oct-11

Wow Trish. Good job!!! 70 days is quite the milestone. Glad to hear that breathing is getting easier. Its amazing how our bodies respond when we get rid of this poison. Its almost like the most manipulative person in the world has a hold on your life and it takes so much time and effort to realize that you don't need that in your life and you are so much better without it. 

trish2uh

Oct-11

Thanks James now if I could only get my damn brain to not think i'm not breathing I'd be fine...lol Panic attacks in the first month scared the crap out of me and now its just in my damn mind and hard to get rid of I'm working on it baby steps for that too. 

Trish

turtles

Oct-17

I gained 17 lbs and am slowly working on it.  I did learn that smoking increases your metabolism, quitting slows it way down, then it goes back to normal.  Also at my age, toning becomes more difficult.  I’m working on it but any way you look at it it’s better than smoking.

quit 4/1/19