About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

30 days as an ex smoker but still struggling    Quit Support

Started Oct-21 by Dee0517; 850 views.
Dee0517

Oct-21

Hi, it’s been 5 weeks now and I still crave cigarettes emotionally. I still feel anxious and depressed and would like to know how long do I have to endure these feelings and if anyone else can relate to how I feel. I worry that I will relapse because the anxiety and depression is awful. I didn’t like that cigarettes controlled me which is why I’m trying to quit but feeling anxious is no fun either. Can anyone else relate or offer suggestions?

Read more about the process of withdrawal. Yes this is a very emotional anxiety provoking recovery. Remember this is a wicked Drug Addiction. Right now you are experiencing the wicked stuff. It takes a lot more time for your brain to rewire and fix everything.

As quitters we must put a lot of quit time in to make the memories of smoking fade with all the stresses and situations where we smoked. We must make new memories and be stubborn in our resolve to end this insane addiction. We have all been poisoning ourselves all these years and the pull of this addiction will not go quietly.

That nicotine monster is screaming at you to smoke but think of him dying a little when you get through a crave smoke free. Keep telling him to aahhh shut up!! Be proud of yourself each and every time you chose not to smoke whenever he repeats his pleas for you to smoke - remember it's a trap!

The battle is a long one but as we sleep our brain rewires and will fix everything. The first three full months are the hardest then, in month 4 our moods lift and we reach a type of peace in the quit because some nicotine receptors have shut down. They continue to shut down at different intervals throughout the first year and by a year we have about 6% of those receptors left.

So hang in there and make new memories, keep busy and distracted and give your brain the time it needs to fix every cell in your body. You will never regret becoming a successful quitter it's just a difficult journey but so worth it. Read everything on this forum as you'll see others post how their quits proceeded in the quit stories and journals folder. It is a wicked tough addiction but stick close to the forum and keep your chin up things will get better with more time. relaxed

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Dee0517

Oct-21

Thanks for your response. I’ll do my best to stay an ex smoker and follow your suggestions 

Ovivi

Oct-21

This is great for all of us under 3 month-ers to know. Some times it feels like we should have gone through it all by now. It’s war and the nicotine fights dirty, but I am determined to win.

In reply toRe: msg 4

Yes Ovivi this is a horrible drug addiction!! & We All Got Hooked Into It!!

We all need to stop making cigarette manufacturers rich at our expense. Since I quit I've saved over $13,000. If only I had quit when I was young -- between my husband and me we wasted over $250,000 smoking over 40+ years. We could of had a place in the Caribbean for that money. We both quit cigarettes back in 2013 and never looked back. It was a tough, agonizing and frustrating time during that first year but it becomes a way of thinking as the weeks and months go by. Keep your thoughts on going only one day at a time as the anxiousness jittery nerves etc. do calm in month four. You'll still get waves of anxiety and incessant thoughts of wanting to smoke here and there and out of nowhere but keep telling the seductive nicotine voice to shut up. Smile and be proud to outwit that monster. Feel sorry for Smokers as they have to smoke because they are addicted. You choose to stay quit no matter what crap comes your way. Protect your quit like you would a tiny baby or a tiny puppy and don't let anything or anyone sabotage your quit. You may want cigarettes BUT you don't need them!  Use whatever substitutes you can but just pledge to never shove another poisonous cigarette in your mouth as you are so done with them. It's not cool to smoke anymore so end that insane addiction once and for all. Read everything you can on how others have managed their anxieties and the process of slowly breaking free. I truly wish you success in your quest to be free. Good luck!

Ovivi

Oct-21

Thank you, Debbie! I’ll keep telling that voice to shut up, as many times as I have to. Thanks for all your support and advice! It makes all the difference!

Dee, I don't have any tips beyond "hang in there" myself, but at least know you're not alone. Between bad habits from the last year and the shock of quitting 6 weeks ago, my mood and motivation are mostly in the can. Did you experience some lessening at a month though? I did, some, and it gives me hope that I'll be all the way out of the hole soon enough. Otoh, I was supposed to get out of bed an hour ago...

Dee0517

Oct-22

Hi Meredith, 

thanks for your response. I still have bad moments throughout the day, but it is getting a little better. I hate the anxiety & depression far more than the cravings that come & go. For me, the anxiety feels stronger than the cravings, if that makes sense. I  smoked for over 30 years and was very emotionally addicted to smoking.

ModDee

Oct-22

Hi Dee,

Congratulations on 5 weeks!  I think we can all relate to what you're going through.  Often times the mental withdrawal is worse than the physical withdrawal.  Time in the process is your friend.  If you feel that what you're feeling is exceptional for you you may want to have a discussion with your health care professional about what you're going through. 

Keep educating yourself about this notoriously cunning addiction of ours.  See the article below.  "Beat the mind games when you quit smoking,"  I think it will help you understand what you're going through.

Hi Dee yes the anxiety and the jittery nerves are so frustrating but your brain is rewiring and your whole body is undergoing a change for the better. Every cell in your body and all your hormones and nervous system were bathed in those poisons from cigarettes. It will take more time for everything to calm down and those thoughts of smoking fade away. You are doing awesome - congrats on being a determined quitter!!  So, do lots of yoga belly breathing to calm your body. Pamper yourself to keep those feel good hormones flowing. I found walking/ jogging and working out at the gym the best way to help keep the blues and jitters under control. All the icky stuff faded away by 14 months for me but others felt the peace sooner. We have to keep vigilant right up to a year or a little more as that inner junkie in exsmokers still creeps in every now and then. Keep telling him to shut up and hit the road as cigarettes no longer control you. I truly wish you continued success in your quit. You can do this too!