About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 1’ner   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Oct-31 by cbeel5; 1874 views.
cbeel5

Oct-31

Hi everyone. I quit today! I’m doing something different this time and that’s coming out of my introverted shell, actively joining the discussion and raising my hand to say I need all the support I can get from folks who understand the journey.  In my past quit attempts I would silently read hours and hours of your stories and use them for motivation so thank you!!!

My biggest fear with quitting is what will I do with my time. I’m a stay at home mom with a 1 and 2 year old and smoking has been my sneak away from Elmo playing in the background all day :) I’ve smoked for 10 years and sadly it breaks my heart that I can’t even remember how to enjoy day to day life without smoking.

I know that’s the nicotine talking and the other side of this journey of quitting is my life back. I can’t wait to smile again without that guilt. I can’t wait to see what it feels like to experience life and enjoy it without needing to smoke.

In reply toRe: msg 1
MarkOU812

Oct-31

Welcome cbeel5

Glad your joining us on this journey and congratulations giving it another go. I'm working on week 3 myself, after 39 years. Keeping busy is so important. I joined a gym and trying yoga, liking it. With the money you save from not smoking maybe afford a sitter and get out, try new things and make new non smoking memories. I Downloaded a few games to my phone to fill in. Take a look at the jokes and games on this site and take a look at all Denim's inspirations and encouragements, they are great. SOS if you need to we will be here to help. Happy to meet you and keep the faith.

10/13/2019 I stopped poisoning myself.

Mark

MarkOU812

Oct-31

Oh yeah

Pledge Nope every day. NOT ONE PUFF EVER.

it's in the discussion list 

Ssoshwifty22

Oct-31

Good job on starting the best journey of your life. Who knew that something so simple as constantly saying no to something, will improve your entire overall health. Even at 2 months I find myself thinking I could just have one, but I follow it up with a big fat nope everytime.!!  I wish you the best in your endeavor!

Shauna 08/29/2019

DebbieMC317

Oct-31

I feel you on this one!! Im in my 49th hour of being smoke free. It is a very rough road. I had to go cold turkey, no other choice unfortunately.  Everything I've read states it gets easier. Just waiting for that to happen, Lol. Right now I physically feel like crap, and mentally, well that's even worse. Hoping to make it out the other side.  I won't be slipping up and going back either. I am 100% penniless and jobless. That's the reason I HAD to quit. I know everyone will say its for the better. I agree. But it was the only thing keeping me sane during this very rough patch in my life. Y'all are lucky to have something to keep you busy. No job, no car, no money. Im lucky to have a phone due to someone else paying the bill. Said person is also letting me stay with them. So what does one do when you have no options? If Im not scouring the internet applying for jobs,  I walk twice a day weather permitting. Any ideas or suggestions would be great! Just needed someone to talk too...thanks 

48yrsmokin

Oct-31

The first thing you can do is Say NOPE I don't need it any More. Everytime that erge comes on. I'm on my 15th day. after all these years I guess the heart stent got my attention and want to see the grandson grow up.  Find somethings that you totally enjoy and go out and do them with your Kids That way you can enjoy them as much as they will enjoy you with out your smoked up self.   And I can finally say that I'm not in need of Pack and lighter everywhere I go.  I Use dum dum suckers as my crutch for now  and it is getting less ansd less Every day

Brenda (1sept19)

Nov-1

Welcome to the forum.  Take it one day at a time and you will find freedom.  Don't look back, don't look forward, just stay in today. Try to keep a positive attitude and enjoy each day that you are free.  You are giving yourself the gift of life and good health and getting rid of disease, slavery and death.  Rejoice in your freedom and tell yourself you can do this.  Pretty soon this thinking starts becoming the normal way of thinking and you have found the freedom you seek.  One day at a time and just don't smoke.  You can do this !!  

Brenda (1sept19)

Nov-1

DebbieMC317 said:

But it was the only thing keeping me sane during this very rough patch in my life.

Smoking doesn't keep you sane.  We all like to think it does, but it doesn't.  You will find that things tend to calm down when you are not constantly needing your fix.  Smoking is not your friend and never will be, it will only take from you until you have nothing left to give.  Be happy that you are getting rid of this horrible addiction and take it just one day at a time.  Getting free will start to open up other areas in your life.  Try to be positive and tell yourself that you are getting rid of the slavery first, then the rest of your life will hopefully start falling in to place.  Read all you can on this site and others about this addiction and realize you are giving up nothing, but you are gaining everything.  Wishing you all the best. 

SusanK1960

Nov-1

Congratulations on your decision to join the journey!

I am on my third week.  I have been a smoker for 40 years and for this last year, every night I concentrated on the wheezing, the coughing, the thoughts about what it feels like to have to be on oxygen, etc.

Some of the tactics I use are one day at a time, when the urge hits, concentrating on the changes that have occurred, such as easier breathing, rosy cheeks, not smelling of smoke, and most of all, knowing I’m not alone!  I have all these people with me thru this forum.

We are with you!

10/13/19 

ModDee

Nov-1

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm so glad you decided to come in with us.  Take a look at the article below on getting through your first week of quitting and then the post below it from Mod Jenn.  Even if you've read it before in your browsing here a re-read is always beneficial.

Here's a wonderful list ModJenn put together that should come in handy.

Quit Toolbox

• Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat. Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat...
  • Knowledge is power. Read everything you can get your hands on about this addiction. The more you understand about your own addiction to nicotine, the better equipped you become to get through the cessation process.
  • Post on the Forum until your fingers are sore. Post, post, post. 
  • Closely related: Go to the NOPE pledge daily and hold yourself accountable.
  • When you come across posts that inspire and/or strengthen you ~ copy and paste them into a Word document. In this way, you can reread them when you feel wibbly wobbly and are climbing the walls.
  • Distract, distract, distract. (Shhhh.....I would do jumping jacks and by the time I got to about 10-12 I was distracted -- that's for sure. Try puzzles, reading a book, anything that shifts the focus of your thoughts.) More generally, stop whatever you are doing, move, and do something else. The craving will pass.
  • Remind yourself this is a journey and the more time you put between now and that last cigarette, the stronger your quit muscles become and the more you have in your quit toolbox. Take it one minute and hour at at time, if necessary, and the days will keep adding up.
  • Every day you go to bed smoke-free is a good day. Be kind to yourself along the way.
  • What you are experiencing is normal - "this too shall pass".
  • Take a shower. Brush your teeth. Put on lotion.
  • Read your quit reasons.
  • Create a list of all the benefits you are experiencing now that you no longer smoke. Practice gratitude at least once a day for these benefits and life changes.
  • Cinnamon flavored sugar-free gum (even cinnamon sticks).
  • Chai tea (I had to avoid coffee for a while but can drink it now without a problem).
  • Eat healthy snacks, such as carrots or frozen grapes (Some honesty here: I didn't always do so well with this one due to this pesky sweet tooth I developed once I could taste my food again. The good news is that as my quit felt more secure my eating wasn't as erratic.)
  • Protect your quit at all costs by avoiding situations that are high-risk for you, especially in the early part of the quit (e.g., other smokers, alcohol, etc.).
  • Make a plan for handling cravings when around temptation. Do not enter potentially difficult situations without a plan.
  • Remind yourself that it's going to be okay - time is your friend as you relearn every aspect of daily life.
  • Keep a journal to record your journey and it's easier to see how far you have come (It gave me perspective at times when I needed to remember that I may not be where I want to be but I'm most certainly not where I used to be.).
  • Reward yourself for the small accomplishments and the larger milestones (this doesn't' have to involve spending money).
  • Exercise - go for walks, join a gym, just keep moving.
  • Accept and tell yourself (that self-talk we have to turn from negative to positive) that the craving is actually a sign of healing and they will occur less frequently and with less intensity as the smoke-free days add up.
  • Deep breathing -- take 4-5 deep breaths -- fill up your diaphragm and and make your tummy stick out.
  • As ModLisa says: "When in doubt go to sleep". 
  • As ModMic says: "SOME DAYS, IT IS ENOUGH THAT YOU JUST DON'T SMOKE. Some days are crappy from beginning to end, and you can kick, scream, cry, punch something, bite someone's head off...if you did not smoke, you win and a little more healing happened".
  • Visualize a craving like a wave washing over you. The tide does leave. 
  • Tell yourself four things: (1) Smoking is no longer an option regardless of what life throws your way; (2) I am worthy of freedom from this addiction; (3) I can. I will. End of story; and (4) I am stronger than this challenge and this challenge is making me stronger.

Best wishes as you continue your cessation journey.

(((Hugs)))