About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Having the urge to smoke today    General Chit-Chat

Started Nov-4 by BlueDahlia29; 983 views.
BlueDahlia29

Nov-4

Hello, it's been over a year now since I quit smoking but today am having thoughts about smoking which I know would be incredibly stupid.  I think it's that the weather has cooled off and it's beautiful out and I remember enjoying sitting out in weather like this and smoking.  Another reason is because of all the weight I've put on since quitting...30lbs in a year- yikes- when I smoked I hardly ate and think it helped me stay at a consistent weight.  Also, since I quit smoking I began drinking again, something I had given up for 3 years prior to quitting smoking, thought if I went back to smoking it would be easier to quit drinking but don't want to keep trading one addiction for another.  Think I need to go back to basics and write out my reasons for not smoking as well as taking the nope pledge daily and supporting other quitters. I would hate myself if I went back to it, but am having a bit of difficulty today.  Thanks in advance for your support, I'm grateful to have this community to turn to.

Going back to Smoking?????? The definition of insanity? == doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting a different outcome.  You must stay in control over your emotions and selective memories. We all remember when we got that aahhhh feeling from smoking, but it was never quenched and back to one after another happens again. 

We all can use the same quit mindset for over eating or over drinking. But cigarettes will eventually take your breath away and poison your entire body. So please don't fall for them ever again. Stick close to your forum friends and keep pledging NOPE.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

MichaelaOana

Nov-4

Hey, Blue. I always admired people on this forum who reached one year smoke free. I understand it is way easier than the first 3 or 4 months in our quit. I do understand thought that is still a batle. Please be strong and perhaps try therapy for the drinking problem. Find a forum like this one for that problem too. Ask help and start the recovery step by step.

Anyway. I am almost 2 months smoke free and the last week was torture. I think you dont want to start all over again. Stay close to us and keep fighting. You know the craves dont last for ever...

Hugs.

BlueDahlia29

Nov-4

Hi Debbie. Didn't smoke and not really sure why I had such a strong urge to do so this morning.  I'm not going to smoke but the urge was strong enough I felt I should post about it.  Just getting it out and acknowledging the temptation helped. It would definitely be insanity to start again, for sure.

BlueDahlia29

Nov-4

Hi Michaela, thanks so much for your post. I joined a quit drinking forum today. I'm good all week but then on the weekends I struggle with it. Big congratulations on 2 months, that's awesome!  You're absolutely right don't want to start the process all over again, was way to hard to get here.  I sometimes wish life didn't have to be such a battle though, I'm constantly trying to improve myself and sometimes I'd like to just live. Btw did NOT smoke.

MichaelaOana

Nov-4

Bravo, Blue! I am glad you found that forum. Good. Step by step darling!

Indeed I would like the life to be easier without this constant battle, but this is life....

Keep strong and post when you have troubles.

Hugs.

Molly010

Nov-5

Hey Blue,

Glad to hear you did not smoke and I think you know how defeated you would feel if you did.  At the same time, you did the right thing by posting and that is why the forum is here.  It's amazing that it can still creep up on us like that.  We have to be careful of those urges for the rest of our lives, I suppose.   Congrats on your one year!  I don't recall if I ever congratulated you on that huge milestone.  I don't get on the forum as much these days.  :)

claire0331

Nov-7

Hi Blue! Not sure if you remember me but I think we started posting here around the same time. I know this is weird coming from an internet stranger but I am so so proud of you. And, to be honest, quite jealous of your quit. I’m happy to see that you didn't smoke and protected your quit. :)

Hi Blue,

You are going to have thoughts of smoking off and on.   Deep breath through those thoughts and tell yourself smoking is not an option.  What helped me during those times was thinking through the process.  I have that cigarette and it is gone in a couple of minutes and then I am right back were I started wanting another and another and another.  Don't fall for it - the brain will cry out occasionally but you are stronger than that.

By the time you get to your 2 year mark those thoughts will become less and less frequent.   Remember what we called the 80% club:

80% Club 
According to a 2002 study conducted by researchers at Boston University, smoking relapse rates drop off sharply after two years of smoking cessation, with nearly 80 percent of ex-smokers going on to make their quits permanent, never smoking again.

Also think through these questions:

• Why did I quit smoking?
  • How long did I smoke?
  • How long have I been smoke free?
  • How long do I think it should take to be free of this addiction?
  • If I go back to smoking, will I want to quit again?
  • How long will it be before I do? Weeks...months...years? When illness strikes?
  • Will quitting be any easier next time around?
  • How do I think smoking will benefit me?
  • Is it worth giving up what I've worked so hard to do?

BlueDahlia29

Nov-9

Thanks so much for posting this Marge.  I haven't smoked and don't intend to I just had a really strong desire to last week but I am able to think it through and I know just how hard it would be to quit again, it's easier to stay quit then to get quit if I started again and I know just how much I'd regret it.