About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

TRYING NOT TO BREAK DOWN!!!!!!!!   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-7 by Jonny84; 2094 views.
Jonny84

Nov-7

I am basically freaking out!!!   I have been sick - bad virus- for like 2.5 weeks.  I have not smoked for 13 days.  All of a sudden I had the worst nicotine craving and just felt like my head was going to explode!!!!  I am still feeling the anxiety BIG TIME from this.  All I wanna do is smoke!!!  I know I shouldn't but DAMN!!  I don't feel like I have much choice.  Maybe I should just start smoking again until this DAMN VIRUS passes - That's junkie thinking isn't it.  Sorry - I am totally clinging to this forum right now.  I really don't want to go back to smoking.  I have come so far and I really don't want to go back - I think it's just too much to bear right now.  I'm gonna wait an hour and see how I feel.   THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

claire0331

Nov-7

Don’t do it! You got this! It isn’t worth it. Remember there is no such thing as just one.  Why start over? Your are doing so well. 

June2019

Nov-7

are there meds you can take for the virus to get you to sleep? Tylenol pm good for sleeping through pain...if you are in pain.

after the 1st few days, the first few weeks of the quit of the tuffest and you're almost there. brush teeth/use mouthwash, suck on a straw, do jumping jacks - do whatever you have to do to get past this crave

claire0331

Nov-7

I was in line at Target when I posted earlier so I had to make it short. Now... ler’s be real. Your head is definitely not going to explode. If you choose to smoke now, what is that going to achieve? You will still be sick, but now you will be sick and smoking again. Do you really want to go through those first few tough days again? It isn’t worth it. And smoking now will just prolong the illness you already have. 

• Edited November 7, 2019 5:06 pm  by  claire0331
Jonny84

Nov-7

You are 100% correct!!   Thank you so much!!  I did not break down.  I went to the gym and just did light reps of all the weights - then sat in the steam room for a couple - came home and put my step 3 patch on. Did not smoke - thank you so much for the support - I was dying!!  loo  but I am a lot more calm now.  Thank You Thank You Thank You Claire!!  I owe ya!!

Jonny84

Nov-7

Thank you June!!  I made it through smoke free  -  I went to the gym - just did light reps and jumped in steam room.  Made a world of difference!  That craving was horrible - I really don't want to go back to square 1.  Thank God I made it through!  Tomorrow will be 2 weeks.  I will take a motrin PM tonight -- I'm not in pain - I am at the tail end of a virus - it has lasted 2-1/2 weeks.  It's been really tough mentally to deal with this and not go to the gym and to not smoke - but i'm hangin on!!  Thank you for the reply!

Exercise is the best thing to do when those super wicked tough craves hit. I punched pillows, did lots of jumping jacks, did lots of jogging and walking, cycling, strength training etc. as it kept my mind busy and lifted my blue moods. Week 3 can be tough too so be prepared to outwit those craves. It is a battle till some receptors shut down after 3 months so hang on by your fingernails as the drug addict in us does not go away quietly. Keep telling that nicotine monster to aahh shut up as you are not falling for it ever again. Keep a Bring It On - No Fear attitude! Don't let anything or anyone sabotage your quit.

Be proud to be a quitter as you are doing something monumental!! Keep on NOPING along with all of us.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Jonny84

Nov-7

Thank You - I definitely will!!I think I'll be ready for week 3 now that I can go back to the gym.

SusanK1960

Nov-7

Claire,  you are brilliant!  

Hi Johnny 

You seem to have conquered your crave.    Well done......you have the lovely Debbie for support.  - the most helpful quitter I know.

Hope your virus clears soon

Vivienne