About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Why not today ?   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-8 by candrew; 463 views.
candrew

Nov-8

I have been a member of this Forum for almost a year but have not posted until this week. I believe that I  have come to a critical moment that  if I don't quit soon, something terrible is going to happen. Issues such as continuous coughing,, clearing my throat every time, and , lack of energy and the list  goes on and on. I tend to work from the back end of my decisions such as excessive planning,  questioning my decision to quit, tending to  defer  my quit date  I am a relativity healthy man 65 years old that wants to live his  life without any complications. Smoking cigarettes  this late in life is a risky venture. Who knows maybe I have realized some of the  consequences  that have feared most; emphysema, lung cancer, heart disease and again, he list goes on.  I don't need to bore you with all of this.

The front end is that the  bottom line is that we all want to quit.  Everyone is different. With that in mind know that you are in control of your life  not nicotine. Each person  will have their own approach. It is vitally important that you love yourself enough to rid you of this terrible trap. It can be done. 
Hello from Sunny Florida land of sunshine, I love it.  Allow yourself to enjoy the little things that are around you.. Stay focused and positive and allow yourself 
to "smell the roses". We are all bound to a life of health and prosperity  
I have written an article that expressed my "back end" approach to my journey to a smoke free life. Any comments are appreciated. 
Thanks for your time.
Andrew 

Why do I want to quit smoking? 11/8/2019

I have been asking this question since I started smoking for some 40 years ago. I am in relatively good shape physically. Why have I smoked for so long? Initially, I wanted to be cool among my friends. It never occurred to me that I would be smoking as long as I have. I'll never forget seeing a friend just just getting out of bed and lighting a cigarette. It grossed me out and I said to myself that I would never

smoke. I was in high school at the time.

My motivation to quit is simple. I want to live the remainder of my life without worrying about all the diseases that are associated with prolonged smoking. I have a serious coughing problem, it is kind of scary. I can feel my lungs each time I cough. Its insane. Everyone knows when I leave to have a smoke from the Oder.

My self esteem goes down 100 points, I feel less than my fellows. I dream of waking up in bed with an oxygen machine next to me. Quitting smoking is probably the reason that I continue to smoke. I am terrified to death of quitting. I view it as one of the most difficult life challenges that I must OVERCOME! But I am strong willed and God willing, we will see this through together. My cigarettes are with me at all times when I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning, a true companion (not).

Over the years I have tried several methods to quit. On-line seminars, books, smoking forums, NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) I have had so many failures that it seems redundant to keep trying. I wonder if I am going to ever going to quit. I need to stop this feeling that I will not be able to quit

and live a normal life. You can overcome anything Andrew!

Why am I afraid to quit smoking?

Fear

I am afraid of quitting. How am I going to survive without my beloved cigarettes? I really do covet them greatly and can't imagine doing without them. Health wise I am doing better each day sisnce almost dying in Life Support. This is why I need to get rid of this disgusting habit (addiction). Now is my chance.

Consequences

I have to muster as much courage as I can to fight this thing. Its time to REALLY quit cigarettes.

My body is trying to tell me something. I cough day and night, my skin looks like an alligator hide, my color looks terrible and not to mention I stink all the time. My breathing is difficult and I wease much of the day. And I wake up at night coughing for hours.

Energy

My energy is sapped due to repeated smoking. From the moment that I wake to the time I go

to bed, I am smoking My energy level is so low that I have little interest in physical

activities. I wake up in the morning and the first thing I do is reach for my pack of smokes.

Will I have to do this for the rest of my life? My fear is to wake up one morning hooked up to

an oxygen machine. I fear the most is not being able to breathe. I experience difficulty

especially in the morning.

Self esteem

My self esteem is affected many ways. Much is the way I feel about myself being a smoker.

Everyone I know has either quit or never started. I have always felt less than my peers because of my addiction. Why am I so lucky? I am missing so much
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Brenda (1sept19)

Nov-8

A great message, Andrew.  Thank you for sharing. 

ModDee

Nov-9

Hello Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your cessation journey with us. Truth is quite a few of us have been where you are now; a place where most of us long term smokers (32 years for me) arrive; intellectually understanding the need to quit smoking but almost paralyzed with the fear of quitting or not being able to quit.  Eventually, we reach crossroads where we have to choose. Continue to hang out with us reading and educating yourself with the real-life stores of people who have managed to put this addiction behind them. You will find many stories similar to yours that will inspire you as you plan for your permanent quit in January. You may have already read the articles below but a re-read is always beneficial. I've also included my own quit story.

We are here to support you in any way we can.  You can do this.

(((Hugs)))

• Edited November 9, 2019 2:30 pm  by  ModDee
In reply toRe: msg 3
candrew

Nov-9

Thanks for your  response Dee. It is great to know that there are others that are going through what I am and can share on this forum.  I  believe that with an iron-clad commitment to quit that I will be successful this time. I will continue to define what I call the "back end"  of my quitting  experience. Withdrawal or the "front" end is the easiest part for me. The back end is where all the difficult stuff is. Cravings,  triggers, head games of every kind . Those of  you who have any period of abstinence know exactly what I am talking about. 

Wow! I am so happy that I found this forum. Thought I would have to go it alone.

Anyone who has licked any addiction knows that we need more that our own resolve to quit and stay quit! Get as much love and support you can find. I believe this is what will I will need to make it. 

Good day,

candrew 11-9-2019

CC to candrew
Jonny84

Nov-9

I am afraid of quitting. How am I going to survive without my beloved cigarettes? I really do covet them greatly and can't imagine doing without them. Health wise I am doing better each day sisnce almost dying in Life Support. This is why I need to get rid of this disgusting habit (addiction). Now is my chance.

THAT WAS MY EXACT FEELING!!!!!!!!!!!!   I am 15 days into QUITTING -- I'll tell ya - I can breathe sooooo much better.  No constant dry mouth, hacking, sore throats. ect..  I can feel the air in my lungs.  I can take a deep breath without coughing.  Quitting is really hard - not going to sugar coat it - but it's worth it to me and it will be worth it to you too!!  When times get tough - cling to this forum.  It has saved me Many times!!

You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haajas75

Nov-9

I felt very similar and I'm only 2 weeks in after 26years of smoking....my biggest early success is telling myself if I want my cigarettes back I'll start smoking on my one year quitting anniversary (knowing by then no way in hell)

Neats (1146)

Nov-11

Hi Andrew,

Great post! We can all relate to your fear of a smokefree life. The fear is very real and scary but what makes many of us more petrified is the longterm effect of continuing to smoke. Do not be hard on yourself it's an horrible addiction and you have made a step in the right direction by posting on this forum. Do not give up hope on quitting, just stay with us and continue reading all the articles and stories here. 

I smoked for 36 years 40 or more cigarettes daily and I hated myself for it and like you tried everything and thought I would never stop. But in January 2016 something snapped inside. I had become so sick of my smoking lifestyle and I just  really wanted to be smoke free.  I smoked the remaining cigarettes in my pack then went cold turkey. I was very drowsy during that period and slept alot but managed to get through the detox with the help of this forum and constantly sips of ice cold water. 

You will know when your ready to give quitting another bash and when you do we are here to support you. 

candrew

Nov-11

Wow! How many benefits that you have realized in the short period of time you have been smoke-free,  I'd like to have what  you have. 15 days is incredible! 

Thanks for your reply. I think that I have found something that will truly help me in my efforts to finally quit. That is this forum and people like you who helping me strengthen my commitment to finally get rid of this beast.

We all live in fear for whatever is not working in our life. Tony Robbins, a famous motivational speaker,  was a proponent of the fire walk which we were asked to walk across a bed burning coals in bare feet Putting fear out of our minds and just simply doing it was his message

Thanks    Jonny       11/11/2019                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message