About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 9 and it's awful!!!   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-14 by MDunn1088; 2603 views.
MDunn1088

Nov-14

Hello hopefully new friends! My name is Matt, I'm 31, and it's day 9 of being nicotine free. I did the patches, starting from step 1-step 3. 10 weeks working down. November 3rd was my last day on the patch. November 4th was day 1 nicotine free. Having quit before I didn't expect their to be any physical symptoms beyond cravings. But I'm 31 and the last time I tried to quit I was in my 20s so perhaps my body chemistry has changed? I don't know. Anyway, I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder and smoking helped with that to some extent. On November 4th everything was fine...anxiety and depression was up but it was manageable and it stayed that way through the first 6 days. By Sunday the 10th, I entered a special level of hell. No major changes in my life have been happening, everything is fine with family and friends, but the one change is now being without nicotine. Since Sunday I have had major insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks, and depression. Now sometimes my mood will swing from that to being normal and happy, almost like being bipolar. I also sweat through the night..during my two-3 hours of sleep..when I wake up I've sweat through my shirt. I don't have cravings for nicotine or a cigarette so is this actually withdrawal or something else?  I went to see my doctor today and explained how bad things were and he gave me a prescription for Kolonopin which is helping a little with the anxiety and panic but I'm still suffering out here. He thinks it might be nicotine withdrawal and said it could last for another 2 weeks. So based on all this, I'd like to hear from my fellow quitters, does this sound familiar to you, are you struggling with any of these extreme symptoms? Is this normal even though I went through the whole 10 week of the patches? Any answers would be helpful! Thanks everyone.

• Edited November 14, 2019 1:42 am  by  MDunn1088
Belinda2019

Nov-14

I’m so sorry you’re going through all this. Yes, it could be nicotine withdrawal from the patches. It will pass though, so give it time. And how awesome are you - pretty much three months smoke free - go you!!

Have you thought about trying a mindfulness meditation, or a quit smoking hypnosis? I find them very relaxing and calming - anxiety and panic has been an issue for me my whole life too, it’s a hard road to walk at times. But smoking doesn’t help it - we think it does because we get that instant ‘aaaahhhh’ from it, but that’s just the addiction being fed. It’s important to remember that and not get caught up in the ‘junkie thinking’ that comes with the nico demon. 

Good luck, and I hope your day gets better. Remember NOPE

MDunn1088

Nov-14

Thanks for your reply, Belinda. How long do withdrawal symptoms usually last? I've read they can last from two weeks to a month..please don't tell me I could be dealing with this for more than a month! lol I mean do to tell me if it's true but I hope it's not. 

Belinda2019

Nov-14

I have been trying to post a reply, and it keeps dropping out!

Likely you will feel like you’re feeling for a little while yet, BUT, take heart. I promise you it’s not forever. Most days will be ok, with the odd bad one thrown in. I think it’s that particular bunch of receptors shutting down and giving us a kick where it hurts on the way out....

And yes, it did appear that the smokes helped with anxiety, but they actually didn’t. That ‘aaahhhh’ feeling when you had a drag was the addiction being relieved. Alcoholics and other drug users get the same I believe. 

Keep reaching out on here for support, it’s what we’re all here for....

’When you’re slogging through hell, keep slogging’

’This too shall pass’

’What if you caved in today, only to find that tomorrow was the breakthrough?’

N - not

O - one

P - puff

E - ever

I hope your day has gotten better x

Yes this is the withdrawal symptoms from quitting. If this was easy, everyone would be quit but in reality you will only start to get used to the cravings and withdrawal after months of developing a solid quit mindset. The first 3-4 months are the hardest and many people find the routine gets much easier after 5 months. You will still have many times where you feel aok. This is a very emotion laden drug addiction and we are all drug addicts in rehab when we start out. You need to read more of the articles on this site and also read the Whyquit.com site, Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking, watch YouTube videos about quitting etc. as they all help us develop that solid determined quit mindset as we know what to expect as the weeks and months go by. This takes a long time till our brain rewires all our memories associated with smoking so make new happy nonsmoking memories. Our brain rewires as we sleep and it will fix everything over time. We must put in the time there is no rushing this we all have to take this one day at a time. See your doctor if your depression gets worse as the withdrawL from cigarettes really does a number on our nervous system. The jittery anxiousness is from not getting that drug nicotine and all the other crap we poisoned ourselves with every cigarette we smoked. Your body is going through a type of shock right now but it will get better and easier to deal with as time passes. Stay very busy and start exercising as it will help lift the blues. So put in the time, stay distracted, drink ice water and do lots of deep breathing as this is the routine that will help you break free from this wicked addiction. Keep a No Fear Attitude and be proud to be a quitter - good luck. 

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

MDunn1088

Nov-14

Day is still rough but not as bad as the previous two days so I'm thinking it's progressing, slowly but surely. I really didn't appreciate how strong nicotine is. It's a demon drug. Has to be comparable to heroin.

Belinda2019

Nov-14

It has been likened to heroin in the strength of its addiction. Which sucks. Sometimes when I’m in the middle of a ‘moment’ I wonder where the rehab centres are for smokers who wish to quit....there’s rehab for literally everything else!

MDunn1088

Nov-14

I had no idea it would be so hard because I used the NRT therapy correctly so I thought if I had any symptoms they would be bad but holy crap! This is the worst and I'm not even wanting a smoke. I have some flashes of wanting a smoke but only to make the depression and anxiety go away. 

MDunn1088

Nov-14

Yeah like I just told Debbie, 

I had no idea it would be so hard because I used the NRT therapy correctly so I thought if I had any symptoms they would be bad but holy crap! This is the worst and I'm not even wanting a smoke. I have some flashes of wanting a smoke but only to make the depression and anxiety go away. 

Belinda2019

Nov-14

I’m so glad you made it through, and I hope today is better :)