About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

3-4 months smoke free   Quit Support

Started Nov-28 by Lainie (elaineadele); 2001 views.

What does it feel like to go through months 3&4

48yrsmokin

Nov-29

I'm there withyou LAINIE I'm wondering the same thing I haven't been at that point for ever. The only way we will find out is go for it and get there ourselves. THat would really be a winner.

How far along are you?

48yrsmokin

Nov-29

I'm 6 weeks along and this is my time of doubtness in the past and right now I keep telling myself ICAN DO THIS.  Keep NOPING.

SusanK1960

Nov-29

Hi Elaine,

You are almost thru your third month.  That is farther than I have ever made it.  The last quit, 5 years ago, I was in my third month when my emotions/brain went haywire and I was contemplating suicide.  that was scary thinking and if you knew me, the many who did know me could not believe that I would have such thoughts.  I did not realize that the third month was more challenging than the prior six weeks before. Even though that was my thinking last time, I am trying to quit AGAIN.  I am much more educated this quit than last time.  To be honest, I have a lot of trepidation of approaching the 3 month, however, I am going to take it on again.  I don’t think that everyone has the same problems at the same time, and just cause it happened once to me, I am banking on it being a fluke.  I can’t let negative rule my quit!  

Oh Susan.  I’m so sorry.  What did you do?  Go back to smoking?  I can relate to your thinking.  I’ve been so down lately, I don’t know what to do?

SusanK1960

Nov-29

I did go back to smoking.   That obviously was not the answer as smoking is not healthy, but neither is suicide. I have never read that reason for relapsing.  I did not have “support” last time when I quit.  Even though it is a personal journey, I was doing it alone.  This forum is support.  The people on this forum state the icky threes.  I have made it thru two of the three icky threes, so have you.  In fact you are almost thru the third month.  Should I relapse because you I know there are several people, including you, that have been blue/anxious/panicky during their quits at different times than me and why should I put myself thru that again?  I have medication helping with the blues/anxious/panic feeling so I have to trust when it gets bad, I will be able to work thru it, in addition to the meds.  Everyone is different on an emotional level, as far as how we handle it, yet, still the same that we have to get over an addiction.  I don’t like thinking of dying by saying, I didn’t try hard enough.  Addiction made me weak, and taught me weak is easy.  If I want to beat my addiction, it can’t be “easy”.  Does that make sense?

• Edited November 29, 2019 5:44 pm  by  SusanK1960

Makes sense. What meds are you on to. Deal with all this.

I wish you all the best. I’m thinking of going for counseling. I can’t find anywhere when you get relief.

SusanK1960

Nov-29

I am on Paxil. I hope it will help.  What I learned on the journey this time was, “if stopping was easy, everyone would stop smoking”.  Weak is easy. Stopping is not.  It also shouldn’t be “painful”. Since emotions also play a big part In stopping, I am choosing positive emotions instead of negative.  Last time, it was three months of negative emotions and willpower. I was on Chantix, which may have contributed to the suicidal ideation.   This time, so far, positive thinking has helped alleviate the amount of times willpower is needed.  Whether that is Paxil or positive thought bring positive results that has helped this quit, it doesn’t matter what the answer is, as long as I don’t smoke.

• Edited November 29, 2019 7:32 pm  by  SusanK1960
Belinda2019

Nov-29

Oh Susan I am so sorry you had to go through that - what an awful time for you. I had similar when I hit the late menopause transition (which I’m still in, yay, can go for 10 years) about 2.5 years ago. I’m taking MRT now, which has really helped. I’d been on Paxil for years beforehand which stopped working for me. I’m taking a small dose of mirtazapine at night for insomnia these days. Funnily enough I’m feeling much less anxious with this quit, but more flat and lethargic, no motivation which is unusual for me. So probably more depressed, pooped out. Or maybe this is normal? I am crying more than usual, and I’m getting angry more than I used to - I’m thinking that I’m feeling these things more because the stick is now gone. 

Anyway, I’m so glad you found your way out of that nightmare - please, pm me if you start feeling that way again, it’s an awful place to be. Hugs revolving_hearts