About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2020 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 65033 views.
In reply toRe: msg 17
IainZAR

1/4/20

Hello to the January 2020 Quitters.

What a good day, and what a good idea, you've decided to be the real you, free from smoking. Amazing. Just wanted to pop in and say hi and send my support. I'm a January 2019 quitter and happier every day I'm smoke free. It's hard, but most definitely gets better.

Use this forum and get in touch, there are lots of amazing people here willing to share and provide support. Keep strong and stick to what you've decided. Cheers from sunny africa!

• Edited January 4, 2020 5:38 am  by  IainZAR
Dee0517

1/4/20

Hi Mod Marge,

Thanks so much for the list of encouragements. I really needed to read them. I’m almost at 4 months but I still struggle everyday. Some days are worse than others but the last week as been very tough due to a family crises. My stress level is so high right now and in regards to my Son, I don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel. Hope I’m wrong and my prayers are answered soon. I take long walks to help with my anxiety and cravings. I keep reminding myself that if I cave and smoke a cigarette, it’s not going to take away my problem or solve it. Not sure why after almost 4 months my mind still plays tricks with me and try’s to convince me that smoking will calm my nerves. I know it’s false because if I do smoke again, the guilt will only make me feel worse.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. I’m still struggling but I’m going to keep trying one day at a time. Can’t wait for the day when I stop thinking about smoking... 

Dee

slowblumer

1/4/20

Hi Dee,

I kept that list up in my room and literally had to run to it at times.  4 months is wonderful.  Don't let anything make you smoke. It will just create more stress and will not help the situation.   Stress is a major trigger and I mean major.  if possible go to a quiet place , sit and do 10 slow deep breaths.  It can relieve some built up pressure.

I don't know how long you smoked but it is not at all unusual to crave at four months.  I turned a huge corner at 9 months but it is different for us all.  I promise you, by one year it will improve vastly.  Stay here and read and post.

How to Stay Smoke-Free In Times of Extraordinary Stress

NoTobac

1/4/20

Thanks for reposting this list ModMarge. I've copied and pasted it. I've got my quit scheduled for next Wednesday or Thursday and I'm sure I'll be using this list a lot!!!  

slowblumer

1/4/20

Well then, you might like this list and build on it for yourself. 

How to Know if You've Got Quitter's Flu

When Quitting Makes It Hard To Sleep

NoTobac

1/4/20

Thanks. I'm checking out everything I can get my hands on! smile

In reply toRe: msg 25
ModAndrea

1/4/20

Hey, January 2020 Ex-Smokers!

I know how tough these first few days can be. When I first quit smoking, I stuck close to the forum, reading everything I could.

I highly recommend the posts you'll find in the folders from the column on the left -

Dots and Stars Milestones

and

One Year and Beyond Milestones   f

These are written by forum members in celebration of weeks, months, and years smoke free. Here's one from Molly.

Have a wonderful smoke free day! I'm glad you're here. blush

Hugs,

Andrea

Lubbercat

1/4/20

I have now passed 4 days and celebrating every minute. Had one of my grand kids here last night and most of today so that made it easier. Now working on getting things done, waiting on the washer to get finished. I might take off tomorrow and go on an adventure if the weather is decent. I figure that will help pass the time or maybe start some crafts. 

Hang in there, we've got this

cherbearquit

1/4/20

Dee, I am so sorry you are dealing with so much stress. Stress can definitely cause cravings to return. I once caved due to stress during a previous quit after 8 months. I hated myself for that! And smoking did not solve the problems, so please stay strong and remember NOPE! Stay close to the forum for support and know that we care and are here for you!