About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2020 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Dec-3 by ModDee; 26956 views.
Jatchat

Feb-15

United we stand, Divided we fall

nomosmok

Feb-15

Hi Anthony

I am so pleased that you feel confident in this quit. Stick with that confidence because you can do this. Besides for my faith in the Creator, I have faith in you. Somewhere between 100 - 130 quits, one really sticks. Lol. 

It’s no problem standing by you thru your relapses & supporting you. But this is not a one way friendship. You stand by me & support me everyday, Anthony. Do you think a chronic relapser like me could get this far in my quit if I didn’t have YOUR support?  We help & support each other.  I think that’s the deal we made. I couldn’t do this without you, my friend. 

Yes, getting older is not for the weak. Lol. My full time job is taking care of my health & visiting doctors and now staying smoke free. 

I agree with you. When I go to church I always get a natural high that’s better than any drug, drink or smoke I’ve ever had. Speaking of, hows your theology course coming along?  

well take care, Anthony & have a wonderful smoke free evening. 
Your quit buddy

nomo

Jatchat

Feb-15

Hi Nomo,

I am still Mellow Yellow from this morning to pinch a Donovan song title LOL, I just did a quick count of Quit attempts since Jan 2018 and they are 50, The moral of the story is don't let your past define your future. Your perseverance in this quit is admirable, it can only bring good not harm, It really does take a lot of work to quit, that's why I have made it my No 1 Priority to defeat this temptation to smoke, the stats say that 19,000 people die from a smoking related illness in Australia per year, and that doesn't take in the loss of Quality of life in the meantime and to think that you are dependent on a poisonous chemical for so called pleasure in life defies logic, I guess when you retire like I did you have more time to reflect on the poor decisions you make and it's been 40 years that it has taken me to come to this realisation, Any way I have had my little rant!

Likewise the mutual encouragement that is offered on this site is so beneficial, no one who is not a smoker could appreciate this, But YOU have understood and stuck by me and I will be eternally grateful for that. So I guess we're in it for the long haul. 

Looking after your health can be a time consuming task, as long as your seeing tangible progress the success feeds on itself and motivates you to keep on going, change is hard but if you keep on taking new challenges and succeeding nothing is impossible.

The course is taking me twice as long as the guidebook says LOL, but I am on track and have finished day 2 of five days in the first subject, it is interesting, illuminating in depth (for me) look at the state of humanity. 

Thanks heaps for your support and and stay smoke free.

Kind regards

Anthony

Majomar

Feb-16

Hi, Just to say hello to everyone and send my support to Anthony and nomo, whom I truly admire. The spirit and energy and support you show... It is beautiful. I've been reading this thread for the first time, not everything, parts, but I think I get the struggle and efforts out in this tough journey...

If I may suggest to Anthony, it seems that each time you relapse the path you followed was similar (regarding method, patches, gums, Chantix...). If you put effort in wriiting down or putting together a plan, I'd add motivation to that. What motivated and motivates you, very specifically put - why do you want to quit. That I found to be one thing that has to be... like a rock in my decision, no matter what. I too tried several times and just now I figured I do not have any more excuses, no matter how difficult it is, I will only prolong my suffering if I relapse, and have to to all of all his again and it doesn't make any sense anymore. I had to see with my own eyes how painful death from cigarettes is to really make that decision and stick to it.so health is a big motivation (to put it simple, it's always more complex, the way you made yourself a smoker and all the reasons and process of quitting, at least forsome of us). Repeat your key motivation to yourself, every day every time you have a craving. Maybe visualise your worst cigarette fear, just keep that picture in your head and than see, really see yourself free from that demon, breathing with your full capacity, free, light, and strong.

Maybe it would be good if you changed at least something in your daily routine,in everything you do and steps you folow, I think it's good for the brain. You had a path followed for some time and maybe you'll increase support to your efforts if you change something, add an activity, avoid some other activity... Anything.

You will make it. Just remind yourself why are you here. 

I think you wrote you'd relapse once you stop using Chantix. Forget that. It's not Chantic or Mantix that keep you away from cigarette, it's your decision and your will and I congratulate you on that, Anthony! And you should congratulate yourself and be proud and just keep moving on, one day at a time. You can do it! You are there, already just let yourself see that and believe in it.

Kind regards,

Maja

• Edited February 16, 2020 5:17 pm  by  Majomar
In reply toRe: msg 388
Majomar

Feb-16

P.S. Regarding motivation, I'd make it really very very personal. To educate myself of all the hazards and statistics, it helped, it is important, it adds to motivation, I read all the time about that to encourage myself, but I believe that motive must be inner, ours, personal. 

Maja

nomosmok

Feb-16

Jatchat said:

to think that you are dependent on a poisonous chemical for so called pleasure in life defies logic,

Hi Anthony

I love what you said about smoking. Yes, it doesn’t make sense, does it. We’re slowly killing ourselves & saying how much we enjoy it!  This is a keeper for sure! 

Im quite late signing on today. I haven’t been feeling well, as you know. I realized today that I need to do a thorough house cleaning to get rid of not only dust but 3rd hand smoke that came in from the porch where I smoked. I didn’t know anything about 3rd hand smoke until I quit this time but it gets onto everything. 
So how are you doing on your quit today?  I’m hoping & praying that you’re staying strong & committed. I read somewhere a suggestion that I’m trying. It said to put on a piece of jewelry - a ring, bracelet or something, I’m sure a rubber band would do - and every time you see it, say I don’t smoke. Just another way to reprogram our smoker’s mind. 
Yes, we’re in this for the long haul. And I do understand. You just haven’t seen all my slips & relapses but I know being quit & positive about it only one day to get a crave so loud & so long that you almost have no defense against it & succumb to it & smoke once again even though you don’t want to. I’ve been there 100’s of times. I don’t know why I’m being successful so far this quit. Maybe #131 is the one that works!  Lol. I know you will be successful too. If I can do it, so can you. People quit smoking everyday. Why not us???

well I hope you have a wonderful day, evening, night. Btw how far ahead in time are you?  I’m EST. 
Take care Anthony

nomo
?

nomosmok

Feb-16

Hi Maja

Thank you for a beautiful post. I truly love how you write. You are able to put into words how I feel. It’s as if you are reading my mind. 
Keep up the great work you are doing. I know you have been going through a difficult time but you are staying strong in your quit. You are an inspiration to me. 
Take care

nomo

Jatchat

Feb-16

Hi Nomo,

Yes third hand smoke can be deadly, especially for children who put there hands everywhere, hope it left you not feeling too fatigued, I cleaned my computer down today, the dust gets in everywhere, the quit is going OK I just woke up after a morning nap, I was feeling the cravings after breakfast and it was because I was tired, I'm training myself to pray each time I feel uncertain and smoking reminders surface, so far it's working, the jewelry idea is good I might try it. Your right about the other people who quit, it's our turn. My hip is still playing up and I'm back on painkillers, they are easing the pain, I have yet to face up and do my exercises, I keep putting it off. I have not got much on this week, quit smoking counselor on Wednesday face to face, waiting for it to fine up so I can get some more photos, it's still overcast with showers here, What area of the States are you from Nomo as I understand it you have three time zones (I may be wrong) we are in AEDT Australian Eastern Daylight Time (GMT +11) or (UTC +11), If I want to see the time in America I just look at my world clock app on my phone. now its 5:15 PM in LA. its Midday here 19 hours ahead of the west coast.

Take care my friend, get plenty of rest and stay smoke free today

Kind regards

Anthony

Jatchat

Feb-16

Thanks Maja,

for the advice and how well you express those ideas around motivation, indeed I to have health concerns, and they capture most of my motivation, I have a list of some 30 items on my list, that I should read more regularly so as to maintain an edge in this fight.

Kind regards

Anthony

nomosmok

Feb-16

Hi Anthony 

Haha. It came out pretty big but this is my motto from my quit smoking app!  I am willing to go to any lengths to stay smoke free. That’s what it sounds like you’re doing this quit & I'm so pleased to hear that. This is what is going to keep us smoke free & successful. You are right. It is our turn. I know for me it’s about doing things differently & training my mind to think differently. There’s an old saying... if you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep getting what you’ve always got. Instead we have to accept the new normal. So far I like it!

Im on the east coast so I’m 3 hours ahead of the west coast.  Does that make you 22 hours ahead of me?  Oh my!  That’s just about a whole day!!!  It’s about 10:15pm Sunday night here now. 

I had a big scare tonight. Like I told you earlier, I think my house is sick & needs a deep clean. well I’ve been wearing a mask like you get at the doctors office since this morning  This has really improved my chest pains & shortness of breath to where I’m feeling almost normal. I went to take my shower this evening & of course I had to remove my mask. When I was finished & put it back on I could hardly breathe!!!  My chest hurt & my breathing was so labored that it took me several minutes with my mask back on before I regained my normal breathing. It really scared me. Tomorrow I’m calling my friend who does cleaning to have her come in & help me do a deep clean. Between the 3rd hand smoke & dust mites it really needs it or I’ll have to move to Australia!!! Lol
Take care of yourself, Anthony & do your exercises. That’s what will make your hip feel better. I will be right there with you tomorrow after my appointment so we can do them together. . Have a wonderful, smoke free night. 
your friend 

nomo