About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2020 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Dec-3 by ModDee; 26975 views.
nomosmok

Feb-16

Hi Maja

Thank you for a beautiful post. I truly love how you write. You are able to put into words how I feel. It’s as if you are reading my mind. 
Keep up the great work you are doing. I know you have been going through a difficult time but you are staying strong in your quit. You are an inspiration to me. 
Take care

nomo

Jatchat

Feb-16

Hi Nomo,

Yes third hand smoke can be deadly, especially for children who put there hands everywhere, hope it left you not feeling too fatigued, I cleaned my computer down today, the dust gets in everywhere, the quit is going OK I just woke up after a morning nap, I was feeling the cravings after breakfast and it was because I was tired, I'm training myself to pray each time I feel uncertain and smoking reminders surface, so far it's working, the jewelry idea is good I might try it. Your right about the other people who quit, it's our turn. My hip is still playing up and I'm back on painkillers, they are easing the pain, I have yet to face up and do my exercises, I keep putting it off. I have not got much on this week, quit smoking counselor on Wednesday face to face, waiting for it to fine up so I can get some more photos, it's still overcast with showers here, What area of the States are you from Nomo as I understand it you have three time zones (I may be wrong) we are in AEDT Australian Eastern Daylight Time (GMT +11) or (UTC +11), If I want to see the time in America I just look at my world clock app on my phone. now its 5:15 PM in LA. its Midday here 19 hours ahead of the west coast.

Take care my friend, get plenty of rest and stay smoke free today

Kind regards

Anthony

Jatchat

Feb-16

Thanks Maja,

for the advice and how well you express those ideas around motivation, indeed I to have health concerns, and they capture most of my motivation, I have a list of some 30 items on my list, that I should read more regularly so as to maintain an edge in this fight.

Kind regards

Anthony

nomosmok

Feb-16

Hi Anthony 

Haha. It came out pretty big but this is my motto from my quit smoking app!  I am willing to go to any lengths to stay smoke free. That’s what it sounds like you’re doing this quit & I'm so pleased to hear that. This is what is going to keep us smoke free & successful. You are right. It is our turn. I know for me it’s about doing things differently & training my mind to think differently. There’s an old saying... if you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep getting what you’ve always got. Instead we have to accept the new normal. So far I like it!

Im on the east coast so I’m 3 hours ahead of the west coast.  Does that make you 22 hours ahead of me?  Oh my!  That’s just about a whole day!!!  It’s about 10:15pm Sunday night here now. 

I had a big scare tonight. Like I told you earlier, I think my house is sick & needs a deep clean. well I’ve been wearing a mask like you get at the doctors office since this morning  This has really improved my chest pains & shortness of breath to where I’m feeling almost normal. I went to take my shower this evening & of course I had to remove my mask. When I was finished & put it back on I could hardly breathe!!!  My chest hurt & my breathing was so labored that it took me several minutes with my mask back on before I regained my normal breathing. It really scared me. Tomorrow I’m calling my friend who does cleaning to have her come in & help me do a deep clean. Between the 3rd hand smoke & dust mites it really needs it or I’ll have to move to Australia!!! Lol
Take care of yourself, Anthony & do your exercises. That’s what will make your hip feel better. I will be right there with you tomorrow after my appointment so we can do them together. . Have a wonderful, smoke free night. 
your friend 

nomo

Jatchat

Feb-17

Hi Nomo,

Climb every mountain, clamber over those craves. victory is assured my friend, before we hit the grave.  LOL  great graphic says it all really, that's the mindset to have "to go to any lengths to  stay smoke free, though I still get those thoughts of just one, I have to remain strong,my main strategy is pop a gum or go to bed sleep it off. I was under the pump yesterday, my wife had run out of cigarettes and a friend turned up hoping to buy some, I got in the car and went down the street and bought a pack and thought what am I going to do while they're smoking so I bought a Kg of apples and munched away while they smoked, I seem to have this hand to mouth habit I just can't shake,hence all the water I drink which curbs the  appetite.

The time zone works the other way 3 hrs less for instance it's 4:30 am Tue here 12:30 pm Mon in New York 16 hrs ahead we are.

That was scary not being able to breathe, I had that feeling when we had the bush fires here thank goodness it passed with the mask on, did it have anything to do with the humidity in the bathroom?

Thank God you got over that, by all means get your friend in and get rid of all those toxins from cigarette smoke, filthy stinking foul smelling things they are. By all means move to Australia lol though we are not immune from those chemicals and bugs.

Hope all goes well with your appointment, good outcomes we want, You have given yourself the best chance of recovering by remaining smoke free Yay!!!

We will probably go shopping today, other than that I have my study and exercises to do, warm weather predicted for today with afternoon showers, I can live with that.

Let me know how your appointment goes, and stay smoke free for that's the way to be

Kind regards

Anthony

nomosmok

Feb-17

Jatchat said:

Climb every mountain, clamber over those craves. victory is assured my friend, before we hit the grave.

Hi Anthony

I just love it!!!  This should be our theme song!  I can hear music with it. Lol. Let me ask you a question. Why are you still having thoughts of having “just one”?  I don’t know about you but I have NEVER had just one in my life!  Every time I have lit one, I have relapsed to be a smoker again. You need to let that thought go!!!  When I was 26 I quit for 3 1/2 years. I had gone thru all the nonsense of withdrawals & even of gaining weight & taking it back off. All was right with the world. One night I was standing with some friends & someone was smoking. With no premeditated thought I said hey, give me one of those. So I smoked one cigarette. Nothing more ....for awhile. But very soon it happened - I started smoking again & was up to my daily routine in no time. THAT’s what one cigarette will do to you. That’s my rant for today. Lol

That must’ve been hard watching your wife & friend smoke but apples sounds like a good alternative. You can also feel sorry for them knowing that they are poisoning themselves with all those nasty chemicals!  Lol. I can relate to the hand in mouth habit. I had it very bad but broke it in one or all of my many quits. People use many different things though. Someone on here uses straws but stuffs them with toilet tissue so when he draws on them he gets some resistance like a real cigarette. I have used cinnamon sticks. They are about the size & shape of a cig & aren’t nasty if you chew on them. Water is great. Red hot cinnamon candy has been mentioned. 
My appointment went well today at physical therapy. We have so many different body parts to work on due to injury & not exercising because I 1) hurt & 2) was too busy sitting around smoking lol. The therapist gave me several exercises that covered my legs, back & upper body & one that will help open up my chest so I can breathe better. So it all went well. Now we both need to do our exercises. Lol

How did your shopping go today?  And your studies?  I’m sure you enjoy that, I know I would. It’s good to finally know how far ahead you are in time but now I have to do higher math.  lol  My mind is slipping as I get older  I’m hoping it’s just brain fog from smoking so much  

Just a restful evening planned for tonight.  I see my Hematologist/Oncologist tomorrow.  I’m sure he will be very pleased to know I quit smoking. 
So I’m guessing it’s 10am Tuesday there if my math is correct so have a wonderful, smoke free day.  

Take Care

nomo

freetobeunme

Feb-18

Thought this may help in case you could use some HELPFUL TIPS for cleansing the lungs, moving through this detox period, and overall ease the mind, body and spirit while transitioning from a smoker to a non-smoker!

Congrats! You are doing something extraordinary - overcoming a very addictive and deceptive substance!

Keep your Home Clean

• If you have carpets, have them cleaned in a dry cleaner if they are dirty. Make sure to use the vacuum cleaner as soon as need be.
  • Remove dust from your shelves, books, objects. Do it every 2-3 days, because dust is accumulating very quickly.
  • Make sure to often clean your home.
  • If you have a wood-burning stove or a fireplace, stop using them for a while. The release toxins in the smoke, which is harmful to your lungs.

Good Plants and Bad Pollen

In daylight, green plants absorb carbon dioxide and other pollutants in exchange for oxygen. That leaves us with cleaner and oxygenated air to breathe. Just don’t keep them in your bedroom, because without light, the plants will switch to absorbing oxygen.

But some plants emit pollen, spores and other particles that could be irritating to your lungs. Even if you’re not allergic, go through your household plants and eliminate them.

No problem, many plants are safe and don’t distress lungs and are easy to maintain.

Some examples: Aloe Vera, Spider plant, Snake plants, Chrysanthemum, Seeping Fig, English Ivy, Palm Tree, Peace Lily, and more. Ask for advice at your local flower store.

Use Non-Toxic Household Cleaning Products:

Household toxins

Most of the household cleaning and cosmetic products contain harmful chemicals, providing daily amounts of toxins to your lungs and body. The most commonly present hazardous substance is ammonia. It irritates the respiratory tract and causes shortness of breath and coughing. Switch to nontoxic products instead. If the only step you take is to get rid of ammonia in your home, you have already served yourself well!

Be aware of scams

A label that states “natural” does not mean that all ingredients are natural. It simply means that there is a minimum amount of natural ingredients, and the rest can be synthetic.

Also, keep in mind that all that is natural is not necessarily non-toxic. What is healthy for someone else might not be beneficial for you, if you’re allergic. In any case, make it a rule to verify ingredients of cleaning products you use.

#2 Diet

...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Jatchat

Feb-18

Hi Nomo, 

Sorry I have not got back to you earlier, but yesterday was a full day, glad you liked the poem, Yes I know how hard it is to stop at one cigarette, they grow into packs, it is an interesting perspective really to imagine smoking Packs for years rather than just one it blunts the desire, I'll take that on board.

Glad your physio went well, I need some prodding  in that direction. I'd be interested in that exercise that aids breathing.

Towards the end of the day I get tired and slightly depressed, so I go to bed and sleep it off, I am up so early in the morning I like my quiet time, but I don't keep regular hours. 

This morning there's a sunrise unhindered by cloud according to the forecast, so I might head out to the coast to Hyams Beach claiming to have the whitest sand in the world and see if I can get a few good pics.

I finished the first unit of my study this morning and passed the quiz at the end of it so I am quite pleased with myself LOL.

Is it today you go to see your oncologist, he/she will be pleased with you giving up smoking, what is it now must be 28 days thats 4 weeks Bravo congratulations, celebrate, Good on you Nomo, leader of the pack.

Another Bible Study this morning also at 8 am all men the singing is brilliant, send shivers down my spine LOL,

Then another visit to my quit smoking counselor, my CO readings are high so I'm trying to stay away from second hand smoke.

Take care my friend. stay smoke free.

Kind regards

Anthony

nomosmok

Feb-18

Hi Anthony

Sorry I’m signing on late. Since I’ve been home from the doctor I’ve just been lying around. Did some meditating, ate a late lunch then wasted way too much time on the internet!  
Yes, the doctor was pleased because I quit (again!) but was really pleased when I told him this was my last time!  I have suffered so much physicallly in this quit that I will never take another puff ever again!  So some good is coming from all this suffering. 
Of course when I relapsed I never had just one cigarette. In fact, I would not buy just one pack but at least 3 packs!  I don’t drive so it’s hard for me to get out to the store so when I relapsed I was serious about it!  Lol

oh, I need some prodding to get my exercises done too. Maybe we can motivate each other there too. As soon as I hit send I promise I will do mine if you will do yours, okay?  Deal. That is unless you’ve already done your exercises today. The exercise to open my breathing is using a pulley that goes over the door. I have to do the pulley facing the door up & down then with my back to the door. I did it yesterday & I could feel the muscles in my chest opening up. I think that could be part of my problem also - pulled muscles & relearning how to breathe right. There’s so much that goes into quitting smoking, I never would’ve thought it. 
I don’t keep regular hours either. My problem is I get a burst of energy in the evening & Im usually up late writing and/or watching a sports game on TV so I get to bed late but then I get up early or I sleep in late depending how my body feels that day. No real schedule & I keep my appointments midday to not interfere with my sleep. Lol

Did you get some nice pics of the sunrise?  Of course I would love if you’d share some with me. I always love your photos. I was confident that you would do well on your test for the theology course. Congratulations!  I envy you going to Bible study & hearing the men’s singing. Without a car I don’t get out as much as I’d like to. My plan is to have a car soon enough though. How did your visit with the quit smoking counseling go?  Is she pleased that you are quit?  
I guess you’re right. I have 28 days today. I quit on a Tuesday & today is Tuesday so that makes it 4 weeks. Oh my!  That’s a miracle, my friend & I am forever grateful to my creator & to you for all your support!  . I tried to put some party graphics on here but they usually come out as question marks!!!  Lol

ok. I’m off to do my exercises & you should too. 
I’m  doing my math. It should be about 11:30am by you because it’s about 7:30pm here. 
Take care

nomo

nomosmok

Feb-18

Oh, and thank for the tips. They are very helpful. I really need a thorough clean here but my body is not well enough to do the work. It’s a catch 22. The house is making me sick & needs to be cleaned but because I am sick I can’t get to cleaning the house!!!  One day it will happen. I will have some help on Thursday & Saturday this week. It will be a slow process at best. 
Take care

nomo