About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2020 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 31638 views.
DebraAnne60

Mar-5

So how are my fellow January 2020 quiters doing?  Seems  very quiet in this group.

CC to Majomarnomosmok
nomosmok

Mar-5

Hi DebraAnne

Thanks for checking up on me, especially today. I’ve just been quite crazy with all that’s going on in my smoke free life. My brothers death, my sisters antics, facing back surgery but the insurance denying it then preventing the appeal. All this on top of double brain fog but I’ve been putting one foot in front of the other & staying smoke free. Then last night my sister pulled another hurtful bomb & I’m 1200 miles away & powerless & got upset. The thought of smoking has been hanging around all night & all day. Of course I don’t really want to smoke but the junkie thinking is trying to convince me of all the reasons smoking would be good for me. I’ve been working all night & day with my tools to get over this one but for some reason I keep sliding back into it. So thanks for checking up on me. I can use all the help I can get. 
nomo

CC to JatchatMajomar
Hapjap

Mar-5

Hi Nomo. Condolences on the loss of your brother. You inspired me. My brother-in-law passed away last night. He was a very special guy. He had Down syndrome and was the sweetest happiest guy ever. Like you I did not smoke. I know I could have used it as an excuse but I remember your post. So anytime you need a hug or a firm grip just reach out.

DebraAnne60

Mar-5

Wow, you are really adding up the experiences as a non-smoker.  Your brain must be working overtime creating those new reaction paths and getting rid of the old reaction patterns.  I would be exhausted if I had so much to deal with all at once.  I hope you are taking some extra vitamin supplements to help you through all of this.  Vitamine B12 is especially good for stress.  I picked up some extra's of B12 and a multi-vitamin just the other day.  I haven't taken any vitamins in years.   I was so surprised that everything seems to be a gummy or a chewable.  No more swallowing hug vitamin pills that would get stuck in my throat for hours.  

Don't let any of what is going on around you get inside and derail your purpose.  All of those things will eventually settle down and you will be so much better having come out of it solid in your determination to face all of life (not just the easy parts) as a non-smoker. 

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a rant room where we could just rant all our frustrations out without recourse.  Maybe some exercise would help.  Yeah, like a punching bag and some boxing gloves.  That's about what I need from time to time. 

Have you checked out the Jokes folder in this forum.  THere are quite a few good jokes in there.  Might help to take yourself out of yourself.

What do you like to do that takes you out of yourself?  For me, its gardening.          

nomosmok

Mar-5

Hi Hapjap

My condolences on the loss of your brother-in-law. It’s never easy & we miss them so much. I’m so proud of you for not picking up a smoke. That’s makes me smile that some good could come out of my pain & post. Just keep it up. There really isn’t anything that earth shattering to smoke over. And yes... I could use a hug!  It’s been a tough path lately but I know once I get to the other side of this I will find myself stronger than I ever knew I was. Thanks for being here for me. 
hugs

nomo

Jatchat

Mar-5

Hi Nomo,

I sympathise with your plight, and no one would blame you if you did smoke, going through your trials but believe me it's a short term fix to a long term problem. you're amazingly resilient and with your attitude and determination success is guaranteed, Saying that though we are all human and we come with own weaknesses and strengths, tap into your strength Nomo and you will be looked after.

Feel free to message me anytime if you need support that's what we are here for

Hugs

Anthony

Majomar

Mar-5

Hi, DebraAnne!

I can't find the time... I've been busy and tired and I am very sleepy right now... but wanted at least to say hi, and to write something to you and to nomo, also.

Still smoke-free... a complex journey... I face now uncontrollable appetite issues, but... still, the most important thing is not to smoke. I can't believe I still have cravings and that junkie thinking can hit hard, but... it's different than at the beginning and hopefully at some point it will ALL go away, it's annoying :D

Hope you're doing good and wishing you so! 

Majomar

Mar-5

Dear nomo,

I congratulate you on your strength once more. You are a true inspiration and I can only send, and I do, positive thoughts and thoughts of hanging in there.

I don't think that we face challenges in life that aren't meant to make us grow. Sometimes, like it's some kind of law, with one difficult situation come several more, as if something is pushing us over our limits, testing our nerves, our whole being. I understand how hard can be having issues with your closest at a time of such grief! I had similar situations and at moments I thought I will just crack. But I didn't. I just... persevered... and the pressure went down and it will, and you will survive this and everything will pass, because that is the nature of things, of life, nothing ever is permanent. When you don't have an answer and don't think you can... think -  Just don't, don't  think. Just wait. Just... endure that moment as it is a moment. And take all your grief and everything you're feeling as a fuel that will make your soul grow. 

Someone said that the grief we feel when loved ones go away dos not diminish, we grow around it and that "container" becomes bigger and we learn how to handle it. 

Don't think about everything that has happened and making you feel terrible at once... your loss, your sister, operation... it's too much. You need to find space to heal and to grow and do that. You can't change your sister, just your attitude towards her. With surgery and insurance, maybe it's OK to put it on hold? Eventually you'll figure it up, do what you CAN. Find space to heel and grow, for your soul, and your body will follow you. And your mind will find a solution with more ease. One step at a time... All the fog form quitting will clear up... rest, sleep, be really very kind toward yourself. Take care.

Maja

• Edited March 5, 2020 5:38 pm  by  Majomar
Majomar

Mar-5

My condolences for your loss, may your brother-in-law rest in peace.

You are very brave and very strong.

I think we will all be able to cherish the memory of our loved ones that passed away with more clarity, with a stronger sense of dignity, a stronger sense of ourselves without cigarettes and they would all be so proud of us...  stay strong. A hug,

Maja

• Edited March 6, 2020 4:39 am  by  Majomar
Jatchat

Mar-5

Hi DebraAnne,

I'm afraid I fell off the wagon again, got to complacent and cocky, anyway don't want to moan and groan to much, but I have started another quit.

Kind regards

Anthony