About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

April 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 31231 views.
KalyaRed

5/12/20

I guess there's a smokeless smoker in all of us. None of us is above relapsing. I have to swallow my pride whenever I check my smoking app and it says "previous attempt 121 days". 

I quit during lock down too! It's not the easiest - but we can do it! I keep thinking if I managed to do it during the most difficult time I'll be a fool to waste it! 

As Jeff said "guard your quit" 

Ana

SusanK1960

5/14/20

Congratulations on your first star, DJ!

It’s been a few minutes since we have heard from you.  Hope you are doing well and staying healthy and smoke free!

livtoswim

5/20/20

Hi Susan,

Thank you for reaching out!! today i have been smoke free 17 days 21 hrs and 13 mins. 

I am going to nope so see you there.  Have a great day

Eve1973

5/20/20

Good for you! Keep going! Will be a hard road, but so worth it! Congrats on 17days! I know you will be so happy at 3weeks, 1month, etc. just keep thinking you can do this!

Jatchat

5/21/20

Hi Deanne,

I am right there with you I have  19 days on the 21st May

Keep on keeping on top of your quit

Kind regards

Anthony 

KalyaRed

5/22/20

Hi Marge! 

I just read this today. I was actually in need of an attitude adjustment. 

It was a great read. Indeed we are having a choice, and that's a true blessing. 

I'm going to keep this in mind. 

Onward to day 50!

Ana

slowblumer

5/22/20

Hey Ana,

You had a great attitude to begin with, but we all get weary of the quit ay some point and need motivation.

The article is very helpful in putting things into perspective.  Also recommend the One year and Beyond Milestones.  Each one is so different but holds much wisdom for new quitters and old as well.

Anew924

6/4/20

Thanks for sending that. I just saw that now. Sorry.  Actually it is a really good time I read that. It has been 2 months for me but lately I've been thinking about smoking and want to so bad. I feel like it will just"fix" me,like if only I could have a smoke.  Reading that dear John letter helped me alot, to remind me again how awful smoking is!

lmnopqrstuv

Apr-18

Hello everyone,

This is the first time posting but really need the help.  I have now been smoke free for a year (cold turkey) but the last two weeks have felt like hell.  All I can think of is smoking.  My mental health is starting to be affected, drinking more and everything reminds me of wanting to smoke.  This has been really hard on me and just wondering why this is happening after exactly a year.  My family is really supportive but really I am thinking that smoking isn't all that bad.  I use to smoke 10-15 cigarettes a day and had a tough time for the first four months when I quit but then it got better and got down when I had good memories with smoking.  Yes, my health has improved in that I do not have that hacking cough for the first minutes in the morning but I have gained 20 pounds and actually feel worst then when I did smoke.  

I am just wondering if anybody with experience has felt this way after their first year gone of not smoking and just need a little bit of educational (not motivational) reasons why I am feeling this way.

Loreficent

Apr-19

Hi,

Im sorry you’re having such a hard time. You are at a very vulnerable stage, and it sounds like the inner addict is really trying hard to lure you back with a variety of rationalizations. 20 pounds most certainly will not kill you and is manageable with some exercise and simple changes in diet likely. Smoking damage is manageable with oxygen therapy, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, blood pressure meds, heart surgery, cardiac rehab, etc.  You get my drift. Sorry to be so blunt, but frankly, I’ve needed to be the same way with myself since my one year mark in February, so I’m not telling you anything I’ve not said to myself.

I stumbled on this ebook right after I made a year, a d it is a godsend. If you haven’t truly accepted and educated yourself on the addict you are, I highly recommend doing so so you can full embrace recovery. The whole thing is quite good and easy to read, but I think you will find a lot of value in Chapters 11 through 14 specifically.

Stay the course, start walking, cut a few refined carbs and sugar some and don’t smoke just to end up wishing you were where you are now. Interested in your thoughts on the book; I found it highly educational.

https://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html#html