About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

May 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 18412 views.
Elizaquits

Jun-3

Anthony,

Congratulations!! I hope you treat yourself somehow! That, and I am looking forward to celebrating many more accomplishments together!

All the best,

Eliza

Nope62

Jun-3

Congratulations on your one month of being free from the slavery of smoking. I'm sure you will add many more months and years to this one.

Take Care!

euknight

Jun-3

Hey Eliza.....

Lol....no I never confessed to the 100s of butts....Sorry to say I was not the confessing type in those days.  That was experimental smoking back then.

Did I tell you I had a terrible reaction to the brand name 21mg?  On the 3rd day I was on the floor dripping in sweat with miscarriage level nausea.  (....I know weird example but that’s the worst level I have had before).  Also some digestive bizarre things.  My friends said to go to the 14s or go off them.  I took a break for a day then went to 14s.  I was so sick I didn’t want to smoke anyway.....which is unusual for me.  When my docs nurse got back to me she said to definitely go to the 14s.  Been ok since  then.  Doc said higher doses of nicotine could “ accelerate  digestion “. I’m telling you.....bizarre!!!  

Thanks for asking.  Haven’t told anyone on the site yet so will cc.  Craves not as sharp but there.  Recognizing them and acknowledging what the feeling is and taking alternative measures.  Most the time am able to identify the feeling and trigger.  Not so much at first.

How about you?  What is it like for you now?  What have you been up to?Oh...also tell me your quit date again.  It is May, right?

That dogs name is Tabitha.  I call her Tab.  She is sleeping against my calf right now.  Precious girl.

Have a beautiful smoke free day!!

Peggy

5-8-20

CC to Loreficent
Jatchat

Jun-3

Thanks heaps, I hope so  to, good luck with your quit

Regards

Anthony

Jatchat

Jun-4

Thanks Eliza,

I am sure we will.

Kind regards

Anthony

Elizaquits

Jun-4

Peggy,

Oh no! I am sorry to hear that! There was someone else on here who got sick as well, I can't remember who in this moment though.. I am glad the 14 is working for you, that must have been scary for sure! I believe it about nicotine accelerating digestion.. TMI but that was one of my fears when I quit, that it would change my schedule, if you know what I mean lol.  No apologies on the confessing, I have done worse, trust and believe!! I meant once you arrived into adulthood, when everyone could look back at laugh at it. :)

I am glad to hear your cravings are diminishing and that you are able to recognize and acknowledge them, those are all very important things! I still use the HALT method when need be, am I hungry, angry, lonely, or tired? I also have found deep breathing to be extremely helpful, I take three deep breaths with the exhale being longer than the inhale. For me, that has been huge! I have also become more serious about practicing mindfulness, so I am sure that is helpful as well. 

So far so good on my quit - I actually stopped using the patches over the weekend! I want to write a post about my patch experience so that it may be helpful to others, I just haven't found the time yet. I actually quit on April 10th, so this Friday will be 8 weeks. I think I am going to switch to months, and wait for June 10th to roll around, but every time Friday arrives I am thankful for not only the weekend, but my quit, it is an added bonus :)

It is the same for you, I think.. let me check..  5/8 was a Friday! That means tomorrow is one month!!! Yay! Go girl!! Kudos to you and your quit!!! 

We are doing it! Cheers!

Jatchat

Jun-13

Hi Elizaquits,

How is your quit going with out the patches, I have been on the 21mg patch now for 6 weeks and am now considering reducing to 14 mg, I have some in my medicine cabinet , I will have to check the use by date they have been there for a while, would be interested in your thoughts and anybody else for that matter.

Kind regards

Anthony 6W

In reply toRe: msg 358
Jatchat

Jun-14

Checked my medicine cabinet out and the 14 mg patches used by date was 2011, I walked down the street and bought 28X14 mg patches that should last me the four weeks I have to be on that particular strength and then down to 7 mg for four weeks, I am taking this quit seriously and believe in a long slow taper, when I was on champix I came off suddenly and relapsed straight away. 

The diet is going well at the same time, eating way more veges and limiting carbs have lost 18.5 Kg or 40 lbs nearly 3 stone. clothes are starting to swim on me, have to visit the op shops and see what I can find for the winter season only ten weeks left and the days are getting warmer.

Go to check in  with my smoking counselor tomorrow get checked for metabolic syndrome, my BMI  is down to just over 30, still obese by that scale, but she is pleased with my progress.

That's all for now

Kind regards

Anthony 6W

slowblumer

Jun-14

Hi Anthony,

We all need a plan and looks like you have one.   Stay with it.

Congratulations on 6 weeks.  You do seem more focused and persistent this time round -great work.   Don't let anything stop you.

Woo, 40 pounds-that's amazing!

Elizaquits

Jun-14

Hey Anthony!

So far so good, thank you for asking! I think I am at, or around 2 weeks without the patches. For me, the biggest difference was going from 21mg to 14mg, so just be prepared for the first day of your 14mg. It's nothing crazy, just a feeling of being on edge (at least that is how I felt), after a day or two you should get used to them and no longer notice the difference!  I found the 14mg to be easier to wear as well, since they are smaller than the 21mg patch. I really can't say enough good things about the patch - for me it really helped wean me off of nicotine. I am hoping the same for you! :) 

Congratulations on your diet! 40 pounds?! That is amazing! From your photo, it is hard to believe that you had that to lose! 

Let me know how you feel with the 14mg when you switch!

Best,

Eliza