About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

May 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 14482 views.
Musivore

May-5

Get yourself checked out Bismark and good luck thumbsup

Hi everyone, I'm a new ex-smoker, and I'm hoping that ex label lasts. I've not had any nicotine for 3 weeks now and this is my first real break from smoking in the many years I've been hooked.

I'm here today because my cravings are strong tonight and I think I've been aimlessly wandering the internet, subconsciously looking for help, and that has somehow led me here.

I've read some of what goes on here, and I'd like to say well done to the mods and regulars on here: you are doing a lovely job and you are making a real difference in the lives of people who are struggling relaxed

• Edited May 6, 2020 2:53 am  by  Musivore
Eve1973

May-5

Hi Mus,

Well great job on 3 weeks.... this is when the junkie thinking comes into play. Drink ice water thru straw, distract yourself any way possible. And if that fails go to sleep. Any day not smoking is a good day! And also if ever in trouble post an SOS and wait for a response by 3 people! It works! 

Start at the beginning and read a lot! Cheers to your success!

Loreficent

May-5

Hi Musivore!

Welcome aboard. Eve is right, you’re at a tough spot. Just roll with it. Like a big wave, watch it come and go. Make yourself a spectator to that part of yourself. Acknowledge it, wave, say hi, and just let your strong self watch for a while. It is going to pass. Maybe this all sounds corny, but really? It is just a thought. No biological need for nicotine or smoking.

Glad you stopped in! We are all here rooting for each other and there is lots of room for more! You can do this. 
Stop back in and let us know how you’re doing!

Hang tough! It gets better all the time.

Musivore

May-6

Thank you Evie and Loreficent for your kind inspiration. I actually went to sleep after posting here, so maybe that was cathartic just to do that? And I feel good this morning waking up to find messages of support from you guys thumbsup

I gave up more or less by accident, because I felt it wrong to go out and just load up on cigs during the lockdown (I'm in the UK). I think my willpower will hold as long as the lockdown holds. The real test will be when I meet my friends after, many of whom smoke. How did/do you guys cope with that?

Loreficent

May-6

Hi again!

Im about to go to bed here now. I actually just faced that first time 2 days ago. It was not as bad as I thought. But I have a little bit of time now and that helped. If it had been with you first week I’m. It sure it would have turned out well.

We we’re keeping distance while a friend was making me some shelves. Husband came out to smoke and I smelled it and had a very quick thought of “I should join you”, followed by the thought “ why would you want to start over??”

I just told myself that yes I’m the pat I might have enjoyed that but now I would feel worse to give up where I’m at, and then let it go.

I would say don’t worry about it right now. Read a LOT on jere, post a lot, and cross that bridge as prepared as you can be, but also believe in yourself and know you’re strong.

Stay in the moment for now. Moments very quickly add up!

Musivore

May-6

Thanks you are right Loreficent, I need to not worry too much about that for now, as I have a few weeks (I think) to build up more strength. I just don't know how determined I am yet to make this forever...

• Edited May 6, 2020 3:34 am  by  Musivore

Hello Musivore,

Welcome to the forum and good for you in quitting smoking.  Hope you will stay with us and post and read as much as you can on nicotine addiction.   Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I ever did and the very best thing.  

I am glad you found us.  One day at a time you can beat this addiction.

Fight the Urge to Smoke by Knowing These 4 Triggers

Musivore

May-6

Hey, that HALT thing on the link you posted is pretty insightful and helpful - thanks slowbumer relaxed