About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 17287 views.
Tabitha1104

Jul-19

I sure hope it works out for you this time too!

This is my first time trying to quit.  Hope it's my last! Fingers  crossed!

TinyBadger

Jul-19

I'm crossing mine for you too. You'll get it done, I know you will. Post an sos on here if you're feeling desperate, and wait for a reply before you smoke. It'll give you time for the craving to pass, plus some emotional support. 

Tabitha1104

Jul-19

Thanks  for the support!

xvaper

Jul-24

Hi Chloe,

I totally relate.

I am Juliette, 25 days clean. I was also astonished when I started reading about it and did the math. Like you, I was vaping about a pack a day worth of nicotine.

I also realized how powerfully addictive vaping is simply because it lets you avoid the side effects of cigarette smoke. You don't have to take a smoke break, your clothes don't smell, the lungs tolerate it better, (at least it feels that way). 

If you are like me, self employed and mostly working from home, nothing stops you from sucking on this device continuously. I vaped even though it was activating my migraines.  When I was out in the evenings, socializing,  I would smoke other people's cigarettes, and after awhile I would get restless, I couldn't wait to get back home and vape. Sometimes I would turn down impromptu invitations to socialize because I felt too comfortable on my couch with my vaper. With this covid19 situation I have been vaping more than ever.

I used a vaper even when it was malfunctioning and spewed the liquid while vaporizing it. I would spend hours trying to fix it. I was totally panicked when I ran out of juice or filters, and would drive all around Brooklyn to find a store that sells the brand I used, and when I really ran out and couldn't get my supply for a few days, I bought cigarettes instead. I would then smoke cigarettes the rate I was vaping because I was used to continuously vape, so as a result I  could go through almost a pack in one sitting in the back yard, and end up throwing up, and I would tell myself that this is the last cigarettes I will smoke. And of-course it was not.  if I ran out of juice. again, I would buy cigarettes, smoke a lot and throw up all over again

When I quit 25 days ago, my physical withdrawal included dizziness, very upset stomach, weakness and depression. It caught me by surprise, I did not realize I was this addicted. It took almost two weeks to wear off. 

I want to quit because this thing It is totally enslaving. My fantasy about being a seldom social smoker who otherwise has no cravings is finally shattered. If I stop vaping and turn to cigarettes I will without a doubt become a heavy smoker. I don't want to be controlled by this vaping anymore, even if it doesn't smell or make me cough, because it is isolating me, controlling and harms my health. 

I hope to succeed, but I also know my mind is and will continue to try and trick me, and there will be very testing situations, especially as restrictions ease further and I will be out and about around smokers everywhere I go. I have to completely change they way I think and totally change all the habits that trigger wanting to smoke. So far I lasted way more than I thought, but there is a lot of work to do.

I am reading a lot of articles and testimonies here, It's definitely helping. I hope we both succeed!

xvaper

Jul-28

Hi Chloe,

I have been vaping pretty much since it was invented. I started because I was trying to stop smoking cigarettes, not realizing it is even more addictive. Like you, I only recently discovered I was taking in the amount of nicotine equivalent to at least a pack a day. I was also socially smoking, on top of vaping, and when I ran out of juice or filters (I was using the refillable kind) I would go out and buy a pack. I am now 29 days clean. It is hard, BUT the last few days have been a revelation. I am free from vaping and that is an amazing feeling. I also took a cigarette from a friend two days ago, but was only able to drag a few puffs before I put it down, after 27 days of not smoking it was disgusting. I was also listening to Alan Carr's audio book. I don't agree with everything he says, but on the whole I am sure it influenced my quitting a lot.  I am not so vane  as to think that I am out of the woods, but I feel so much better and I am optimistic. If I can do it, you can too!

SusanK1960

Aug-1

Congratulations xvaper, I believe you have earned your first star!  I listed all the changes I noticed in just one month to confirm how much better I was for quitting. 

xvaper

Aug-1

Thank you so much! I cannot see you post with the list you made..I. would like to read it!

TinyBadger

Aug-1

Congratulations! You've definitely earned it!

TinyBadger

Aug-7

So today is my step down date for patches...I have one left but the pharmacy doesn't open early on Saturdays and I thought I'd try patchless today, and have my last one for back up. A little scared but optimistic. How's Brooklyn?