About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 15558 views.
SusanK1960

Aug-1

Congratulations xvaper, I believe you have earned your first star!  I listed all the changes I noticed in just one month to confirm how much better I was for quitting. 

xvaper

Aug-1

Thank you so much! I cannot see you post with the list you made..I. would like to read it!

TinyBadger

Aug-1

Congratulations! You've definitely earned it!

TinyBadger

Aug-7

So today is my step down date for patches...I have one left but the pharmacy doesn't open early on Saturdays and I thought I'd try patchless today, and have my last one for back up. A little scared but optimistic. How's Brooklyn?

xvaper

Aug-7

It is raining and less hot today, which is fantastic. Still no uptick in Covid cases for NY, which makes us hopeful we have developed herd immunity. We'll have to wait and see.  Yesterday evening I had the mother of craving. The worst so far. I got a work email that was a tiny bit stressful, nothing major but oh my god my brain was playing tricks. I almost went to buy a pack just so I can "smoke three" and then give the rest away or flush it down the toilette. I was seriously going to spend $20 on three cigarettes. I waited. I was trying to think how it won't help me one bit with the stress, but make it worse. I was thinking about how afterwards I will have to brush my teeth and scrub my fingers to get rid of the nasty smell. Nothing worked, until...after 20 min it passed. Then those thoughts about the negative parts of smoking started to make more sense and I was pleased I did not break. Waiting and reinforcing the negatives is the key, I think. Don't be scared of losing the patches, fear will sabotage you. Just wait it out if it happens, and try to think about all the negative aspects, down to. the nasty taste in. your mouth that would still be there the morning after. and your hair. and. clothes. We can all agree on that, It's gross. Enjoy your trip breath the fresh air and have fun. Create smokeless memories, that is SO important, to make new connections in your brain between having enjoyable experiences without cigarettes.

TinyBadger

Aug-7

I'm glad the weather has been better for you, 80s today here, so not so bad. I have made it about 5 hours without a patch and I'm not seeing a huge difference. There's a difference, but it's pretty small, however I did have a lozenge, so I'm sure that plays into it. I think it's funny that they always say that a craving only lasts about 5 minutes because mine are longer than that and it sounds like yours are too. I try to think of all the negatives to motivate me and the taste is definitely high on the list. I'm going camping on the 14th, next Friday, so I have to persevere until then. I know I can do this, it's just weird how my cravings are so much worse than the first couple of weeks. 

xvaper

Aug-7

The incognizant brain activity is so much more influential on our behavior,  as it turns out, than our cognitive thoughts do. We have to   aware of this fact..It will flare up, but the longer time we put between us and nicotine, it will subside. At least that is what I'm told :)

TinyBadger

Aug-8

So I'm on day 2 of no patches. Things are pretty good- I slept in and had a nice long morning walk. I agree with you on that the longer time I put between myself and nicotine eventually the cravings will subside. I think there was a shift in my brain when I realized I'm an addict. Not someone with a bad habit, but an addict. That helped me be a little more gentle on myself and go about things with a different mindset. I bought some sugar free candy and it's definitely not as good as the sugar. Also, the package warns that it may have a laxative effect. Great. Thanks Lifesavers. I'll be in withdrawals and in the bathroom.

xvaper

Aug-8

HAHAHA

That. fake sugar is awful. Not good for you either. Did you get the nuts?