About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 17487 views.
TinyBadger

Aug-22

How fun will that be?!?! It's always nice to get away for a bit. I think it's funny about preparing in case the dog pukes. Pets can be good or bad to travel with. I can't imagine traveling with a cat. Dogs can be a pain, you have to take more breaks and find places with grassy areas for them to potty. At least for my dogs, who refuse to go on pavement. I bet the lake will be nice, especially with it being so hot. You'll get to take a dip and cool off. This sounds like a ton of fun! Are you ready for some time off without smoking? I found I didn't think about it as I much as I thought I would. The morning was hard but the rest of the day was golden. I needed to get away for a few days and I admit that it was great to get away from all the news about covid and all the things our country is facing. Right now is a hard time for some of us to quit, and I think it says something about a person who can do it during these times. Im sure you'll have a great time and have some fun. I am just a tich jealous because I've always wanted to go to that area because my piano teacher lived in New York and tells great stories about it. She did mention that her apartment had roaches and it really bothered her becsuyit made her feel dirty. 

xvaper

Aug-22

Well it might be even too cold..Upstate NY is way cooler than NYC.  I'm going sep 3-7 and the temp can drop a lot by then. Oh Well. Better than nothing. There are still great. things to do up there. For me, the evenings are the hardest in terms of wanting to smoke and there will be smokers there, but hopefully, I will prevail!

If I even think of a roach I get hysterical. Thankfully not in my house!!!

TinyBadger

Aug-22

We don't have roaches here, I guess it's too cold. I did buy a fancy lamp from an imports store quite a few years ago and a very large insect crawled out of the box. The guy I was dating was from corpus Christi and told me it was a roach. It was so gross and very large. He lit it on fire because he said they can come up the toilet. HOLY CRAP! So glad I live here. Im sure you'll do fine with the smokers. You have a great attitude and are very realistic about the threat of addiction relapse. Plus, we are here, if you have phone service anyway. You already know the plan, to bring gum or straws or whatever it is you need to get through it. You have everything you need to succeed. I know you'll do it because you are such a source of positivity and inspiration here. You really try to connect to everyone here and that's a really nice thing. 

xvaper

Aug-23

Awww thank you. In reality I am quite a cynical person, but I think in the last few years I have become more mellow. I still have a dark and sarcastic humor but I only exercise it with people I know for sure will not be offended, and will have a laugh about it.

As for upstate..I am bringing pumpkin seeds and also melons, and sparkling water, they all seem to help!

What you are talking about is a water bug.  its like a super sized cockroach. In Israel we only have the big ones and we call them the Hebrew equivalent of cockroach. The kind we have there fly. There are many of them in TelAviv. They are one of the main reasons I can't go back to live there.  I am absolutely terrified of them. I have a visceral reaction to them, a real phobia. They can fly through the window and also land on you at an any time, in or outside the house. I once woke up in terror, screaming because I felt one land on me in the middle of the night. My brother thought I was being murdered. Your friend was wrong though, they cannot come up the toilet. They do crawl on water lines, and even inside on the sides of the large sewer pipes, but they cannot swim upwards through a pool of water. They will drown. I cannot even look at one. If there is a dead one in the basement my tenant will come to get it. It doesn't happen very often, and if they do get in somehow they die because I have tons of roach poison. I have never had one inside my apartment and there was alive one, I will leave the house and not come back until someone finds it and kills it. 

TinyBadger

Aug-23

I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse! It was sooooo gross! I would freak out if one landed on me in my sleep. Absolutely freak out. Here, there aren't a lot of bugs, just things like bees and grass hoppers. Some box elder bugs and black widows (and a few varieties of what I consider to be large spiders) but those are manageable. We also have some crabby snakes. I hate spiders so my husband does the removal and/or killing. I don't think I could manage somewhere with large insects and spiders. I saw a documentary on Australia and almost passed out with all the poisonous stuff they have there. So glad to be here, although it is nice in that regard, most people don't like the winters here so they go south for the winter. I can't say that I blame them, driving on ice really isn't my thing but I do love snow. Im such a jerk- the obnoxious neighbor kids were out throwing snowballs at a car and I had them convinced that there are north American snow vipers. They are white and sneak up and bite children who aren't paying attention. Scared the poop out of them, they scattered to their homes and after that, you could see the walking slowly with their heads down, scouring the snow for snakes. Judge me if you will. 

xvaper

Aug-23

That is Hilarious!! Great story. Scare 'em straight.  I don't mind spiders. They kill the bugs. I don't know about a tarantula crawling on me, but other than that I let them do their thing, they stay out of the way for the most part.

TinyBadger

Aug-23

Well you better stay away from those wintery snakes! My husband hates the lies I tell kids about my biker gang, the oinklers. Or the tall tales I spin about woodland creatures. Well, he doesn't hate it, he just worries that I'm emotionally scarring them. I have a friend with two kids under ten and she is very religious and has to remind me to lay low with her kids as she doesn't want to encourage certain types of imagination. Whatever that means. Makes me feel like I'm in the movie dead poets society, inspiring children to be naughty.

xvaper

Aug-24

I think its hilarious. That's part of growing up. Kids tell each-other these things anyway. life is hard, its all about emotional scarring, and if this is the worst emotional scarring these kids will experience in life then they are lucky indeed.

TinyBadger

Aug-24

I think so too. I'm just doing my best to help raise those future taxpayers! How's your quit going? Any cravings? I went to the dentist today for a cleaning and they said my gums were bleeding a little, but that's normal when you first quit. Creepy.

xvaper

Aug-24

Super creepy! I am good last night a guest ( I have an airbnb) has left 4 cigarettes in a pack in the room after he checked out. I had to flush them right away, because one more moment andI would have smoked them. I was so close. But I didn't! Shows you how vulnerable I am. I hope next time this happens I won't slip.