About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 17274 views.
TinyBadger

Aug-24

I think the key is knowing how vulnerable you are. It seems that people who get overly confident get closer to slipping, if not slipping. You have a great attitude so I'm sure you'll hold strong. Fighting that temptation today was huge. They say the character of a man is how he behaves when no one is looking. I think you're passing the test because you could have smoked and not said anything here, but you didn't. You were honest and brave and strong. I believe in you and your ability to fight this addiction. 

xvaper

Aug-24

Thank you so much for the encouragement. But honestly one more second and you would have seen me here walking the walk of shame..

TinyBadger

Aug-24

There is NO shame here. NONE. I've had to come back after slipping on previous quits and no one here feels anything for you but empathy. Granted, if you are like me, you'd be beating yourself up before anyone else had the chance to. I three away a 133 day quit for "just one". It took me a while to come back here and own it. I was so ashamed of myself. But it's a bump in the road and I continued on. I am on day 75 and holding on. I bet you can too. I also would bet that you'd throw out that cigarette before you even got through the whole thing. You'd hate the taste and the smell, maybe a little cough. You'd realize how proud of yourself you were in quitting, and the pride is somehow less. Take it from someone who quit for 7 years and started smoking over one crappy Christmas, it's not worth it. There is never just one and you'll only regret it. You did good, I'm proud of you.

Anne2020

Aug-25

You quite for 7 years and restarted?  I have seen people who can smoke one or two and then leave it again for months, even years.  I guess that's a rarity.

TinyBadger

Aug-25

It's true. I was engaged and my husband said he wouldn't marry me unless I was quit for at least a year. Quit cold turkey and didn't look back for 7 years. Then we had a super bad family event and I had just one...right?!?! Then I didn't want to east the pack so I smoked the whole thing. And my quit went down the pooper. Here I am, years later, quitting again. My story tells how one little puff can bring you back. One cigarette leads to two and then more. I am an addict and left unchecked, my addiction will take over. I will never lose this quit. I simply refuse. I'm not going to start this all over. I've lost so much by going back. Just goes to show how we can all slip back in to our old ways.

Anne2020

Aug-25

Just like crack cocaine or heroin, the addiction is real after just one puff/smoke.  It is just so insidious.  There should be warnings of the addiction like one hit will keep you addicted for years rather than years of smoking will make you sick.  

Just like crack cocaine or heroin.    ONE is all it takes.

Loreficent

Aug-25

Hey Tiny,

I read this when I was waiting for the kids and it reminded of a meal I had once. I was driving back to Seattle, had visited my folks in Michigan. Anyway, later September and was taking I-90. So beautiful. Well there were State Troopers on the highway turning everyone back as there had been this huge snow fall and Bozeman Pass was closed. So I turned around and went back to not even sure what town now. Got a room for the night. Was snow there too but not as bad. There was a restaurant that I don’t recall the name but they had a variety of foods on the menu from different cultures. So I ordered this bowl of Thai soup. I love Thai food. Love it. Have eaten it in every major city I’ve lived in or visited here in the US, which are quite a few at this point. You know what? To this very day that was the BEST  Thai soup I’ve had!! Yup. Right there in some smaller Montana town and not even at an official Thai restaurant. Now maybe it’s a case of same with taste as “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, but that soup was sooo good. This was in like 1990 or 1991, and I still remember it fondly. So...there you go. If I ever remember where I was I’d definitely stop again except I’m not sure when the next time is I’ll be that way driving across country again, if ever.

You are funny what you said about your sister! Here, we used to call it “granola” too, but now we say “crunchy “. I’m pretty crunchy as are most of my friends and we never take it as a slight to be called it, we just agree. So she likely doesn’t mind if you call her that, right? I also think it is very sweet and endearing that you were enamored of Bipoc folks on your bus trip. We could all do with a little inquisitiveness and a sense of being enamored to meet folks that look differently or dress differently from us. 
One question here for you gals...what the heck is Glamping?  

CC to xvaper
TinyBadger

Aug-25

It kind of depends on your definitions. There are hike thrus, people who back pack and hike in an effort to get somewhere, usually a long distance. Then there are regular hikers who camp. Then there are campers, you know, eating sandwich type food or canned beans kinda thing. They stay in one spot and set up an area for chilling. There is car camping, when you put your cooler and chairs and whatever into your car and park somewhere to camp. Usually around a lake or a campground. Glamping to my friends is using a generator, an RV or 5 th wheel, using things like electric coffee pots and other devices like microwaves, sleeping in your car on an air mattress when the weather is fine, only camping places with flushing toilets., etc. It's pretty much like I want to be outside but I want to be home. No offense to anyone here, but my friends and I do find it funny when someone can't dig a hole and poop in it. Some people are too squeamish to use a vault toilet, even. I'd rather not squat over a hole but I'll do it when I need to. That's the joy of the outdoors! As to Bozeman, my sister went to college there and I would spend my summers in Bozeman with her. It was so much fun! The people are great and the mountains are gorgeous. Our dog is going to see a dermatologist there in about a month and we are excited to go. I highly recommend going there again, if you have the chance. I'm glad the soup was good! I was reading your note thinking about how badly this was going to end but I'm impressed! Thai, go figure! 

Loreficent

Aug-25

I know! Like I said it was the best Thai soup of that sort I’ve had to this day and that was some time and many bowls ago. How far are you from Bozeman to drive it? It is beautiful there. I want to take my daughter to Glacier and Yellowstone. She was in Yellowstone right when she was first learning to walk and called the Bison “Doggy!” It was pretty cute. Doggy was her very first word and I loved that. I’ve been to there a few times. Camped in a tent spot mid September in 2008 and the Elk bugling was so worth freezing my butt off over! Pat went with me that trip and we had such a beautiful time.

Ok...so no offense intended here either...but if that is what Glamping is I can’t stand it and can’t stand being stuck with a tent site anywhere near it. Why bother is how I feel about that. I’m not much for car camping either but it was easier when my daughter was small. Now she likes it how I do where you gotta hike in a bit and then pack it all out again.  I’m the one who will dig a hole if needed any time rather than go in a pit toilet too and will pee anywhere needed as long as there isn’t poisonous plants! Haha! Also don’t feel showers are necessary if only out there for 4-5 days. Just find a river or lake and swim the crud off. No soap though as it attracts bugs. That is way TMI!! But like I said...crunchy is my style. 
Man...now I’m wanting to head out! We stayed at a hotel at the beach the last couple of nights which was a total luxury splurge and I’ve never stayed at a hotel at the Ocean. There is no “legal” sleeping on the beach here, but...there are plenty of ways around that and generally the folks who do it are very respectful and pack everything out. 
I might be interested in that coffee pot you talked about before your trip but can’t find what you called it? 

TinyBadger

Aug-26

Glamping isn't totally my gig but I admit I've done it. I have never slept in an RV or 5th wheel, but I have a friend with a battery powered curling iron and we tease her relentlessly. If you're just gal paling around it serves it's purposes. I'm about 1 hour and change from Bozeman depending on the route. As far as bigger cities go, it's my favorite. There's a restaurant called 5 on black. It's basically a build your own bowl if Brazilian is your gig. You get lots of choices, mostly vegetarian, and the portions are huge and everything is from scratch. Delicious. They have one in a few cities round here. The thing I love is called a jet boil. It boils water in about 90 seconds and is amazing. Great for oatmeal, tea and dehydrated meals. Soups and rice too. They have a ton of different products for packing and cooking in the outdoors. I don't drink coffee but my husband boils water in the jet boil and then uses the aeropress. He likes the aeropress so much he makes coffee at home with it sometimes. He loves bones brand coffee, too. If you look it up on YouTube, don't be discouraged beause some nerdy people have some pretty crazy ways of using the aeropress to make a brew. Jet boils aren't the cheapest thing out there but they've never failed us. Nothing better than coffee and cooking in the rain. Screw building up a fire for a cup of joe, especially if you plan on hiking. They also have connection tubes to hook to other outdoor cooking devices. I'm a walking advertisement, sheesh! I do not bathe when camping unless we go swimming. I don't mind and neither does my husband. That's half the fun- adventuring in your own filth. We honeymooned in glacier, and we go there every year. Usually at the very beginning or end of the season., It's less busy then. That's gods country, right there. I hear that Yellowstone has a week where it's only open to cyclists and it's pretty neat to get that close to nature without a million cars. But glacier is more my gig. Also, there is this tiny town a little way away from glacier called Somers. It's got one cafe and a couple of bars. Great fresh fish. It's right on flathead lake and it's gorgeous. Sometimes we rent a cabin there as a homebase then head to glacier. I feel like 90 percent of people would get some peace from spending even one night in the outdoors. Even car camping is good for the soul. Or.go to a park, sit in the sun and read. Or maybe go to an outdoor BBQ. Outside is great for anxiety and depression, stress and mood. I speak from experience.