About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 17446 views.
KalyaRed

Jun-14

My husband stinks too after he smokes. We've tried several approaches. First, he should be breathing fresh air for a while. Then he should brush his teeth. Then if it still stinks he uses some mouth wash. It's a trial and error thing really. 

It's ok that he's not ready to quit yet and it's great that you are. Your list of reasons might seem silly sometimes but never half as silly as poisoning yourself for no reason. Maybe that's your inner junkie trying to trick you. 

Respect your timings, you see here in the forum there are all kinds of people, people who quit forever at first, people who've been trying for years, patch users, lozenge users, cold turkey quitters... Even though our enemy is the same, we are all different people and each person has to really get to know what works for them. If it takes 1000 tries it's OK. One of them is going to be the one. 

You're doing the right thing, gardening, spending more time outside, coming to the forum. And yes, you'll beat this. 

DebraAnne60

Jun-14

Absolutely love the mind games article.  I feel like I wrote it.   lol.....Thanks or sharing  it.

How do I share this articles?

https://www.verywellmind.com/mind-games-go-both-ways-when-you-quit-smoking-2824894

Cheers

Nope62

Jun-15

Welcome to the forum!

You will find lots of help here to get you back on track! Don't feel ashamed, many others have lost their quits. You know you can do this because you've done it before! Just learn from your last quit and build an even stronger quit this time.

Good Luck!

Jeff

Nope62

Jun-15

Welcome back! 

I'm sorry that you lost your quit. I remember you from last time you were here. Don't be embarrassed! I also lost a 20 day quit and had to start over. I just finished the 28 day of this most recent quit. Are you playing the same game as I am? I'm a cereal quitter! This is my fourth quit this year. I guess you could say I'm a glutton for punishment.

You know your way around here. Just try to built a solid quit this time. Use everything you've learned on past quits to help you with this one, your forever quit.

Good Luck!

Jeff

Nope62

Jun-15

Welcome to this forum!

Yes, I have had the same problem, grieving or feeling sad about not smoking. It's odd, but others have told me it is a normal part of the quitting process. I am at times "romancing the cigarette". That is part of the junkie thinking I have to talk myself out of from time to time.

If you are serious about quitting smoking, you have came to the right place. There are many people here who will help you through the process. Post often, about how you are feeling. Commit to your quit by taking the daily Nope pledge.  Make a promise to yourself each day not to smoke and keep it! Don't worry about tomorrow, you can deal with it when it gets here. One Day At A Time

Good Luck! Jeff

slowblumer

Jun-15

DebraAnne60 said:

How do I share this articles? https://www.verywellmind.com/mind-games-go-both-ways-when-you-quit-smoking-2824894

So, open the article.  At the top right click on the URL and select 'copy'.  Then you can paste it in a post.

In reply toRe: msg 62
slowblumer

Jun-15

Hi June Ex-Smokers,

Good description in this article on health benefits the first weeks/months after we quit and discusses the difference between nicotine withdrawal and psychological urges.

KalyaRed

Jun-15

Hi Jeff!

Yeah I'm playing the same game! It does seem masochist at times but it's the nature of addiction. I have faith that sooner or later one of the quits will be the last one! 

I don't dare say this is going to be the one, I'm taking one day at a time though. 

I also fell in love with working out on my previous quit. Having relapsed I found myself thinking ridiculous thoughts like "I can't start smoking again! Tomorrow is cardio day!" 

So I guess I'm not yet a confident ex smoker and I'm not a mindless smoker anymore. I'm paving the road between the two. Let's stop this silly game and quit for real this time! 

Let's guard our quits :) 

KittieM

Jun-15

Thank you :) It is good to know  - It seemed such a strange way to feel but what you said makes sense! Yep - sadly a best (and reliable) friend through thick and thin for more years than I like to mention. 

KittieM

Jun-15

Thank you very much! I really found it strange until you and @tinybadger made it quite obvious :) I feel more settled now, always good to find a reason for something and I have read all the info thank you again!