About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/25/19 by ModDee; 21925 views.
Jatchat

Sep-20

Alls well here no smokes, but I've been reading on the why quit .com site that people who use NRT only have 6-7% chance of quitting beyond 6 months, is that true? I rang our quitline and she said 60-70% of their clients are successful who use NRT. who do you believe? Joel Spitzer quotes all these scientific studies to back him up. i am confused, perhaps I spend to much time on the internet...

Kind regards Tiny

Anthony

Loreficent

Sep-20

Well Anthony, there is definitely a lot of data supporting the use of NRT on increasing the odds of a successful quit. Who do you believe? My unscientific reply to that would be to believe in yourself. Be your own N=1. Do what works for you and don’t put too much weight into worry about it. There are lots of folks who are successful with NRT and a lot successful without. In the end though, either way you go about it, you gotta go through it to get to it. Human nature often requests the least painful option for many things. Just keep putting pieces of the puzzle of you together and carry on. Regardless what method you use you can succeed. Do what works for you. 

TinyBadger

Sep-20

I've done both. My first quit, which was for seven years was cold turkey. This go round I used nrt because cold turkey wasn't cutting it. All the things I did cold turkey were not working this time. I agree with loreficent, you do you. The american lung association class I took highly recommended nrt and chantix because it increases your odd of staying quit. There were a few cold turkey quitters and they are still smoke free since January. So it's a toss up. Don't let anyone tell you what's best for you.

Jatchat

Sep-21

My best effort was with the patches, 10 weeks, so I'll stick with them...

In reply toRe: msg 121
Jatchat

Sep-21

I guess I can't cut cold turkey so patches it is...

Loreficent

Sep-21

Well, they made a world of difference for me too Anthony. So cheers to the patches! Just stay in it to win it. Loved that Milky Way picture. Made my day.

Jatchat

Sep-21

Yes they are effective, I would be useless going cold turkey, Yay for the patches.

Glad you liked the photo, I went out to Currarong a beach side town and drove into the Car Park behind the beach and my lights startled three Kangaroos, they were the only occupants and I had the beach to myself, I was lost in the awe and wonder of the milky way, the stars were magnificent, then when I got home about 11:30, I stacked the images in Lightroom and did some post editing, the camera sees more than the eye,  I was amazed.

Kind regards

Anthony

TinyBadger

Sep-21

Well I'm glad you're here to share the beauty you see in your country. I'm glad you're still going strong. You're a rockstar, Anthony! I couldn't be more proud of you. What day are you working on?

Jatchat

Sep-21

Hi Tiny,

Into Day 8, wow the morning has been hectic, Have been photographing wildflowers, this morning with the camera club, down at Ulladulla, I used two cameras and flattened both batteries, I have no idea what the names of the wildflowers were, most of them were orchids, tiny little flowers, I was shooting in Macro so I hope they turn out, first time I have tried it.

Consequently didn't have time to think about cigarettes, too busy..

How are you going?

Kind regards

Anthony

TinyBadger

Sep-22

Pretty good! I'm so glad you're doing well. My husband bought me a macro for my nikon but they call it a micro in the catalog and manuals. So weird. I love taking up close pictures of things. Sometimes we miss the beauty in a small thing when we are looking at the bush. I have a garden so there is no shortage of flower pictures, but I admit that I am not even close to your talent. You really are very good at what you do. I'm glad you find it a relaxing way to quit smoking. You're doing so great, I can't even tell you how excited I am for you in this quit. I think it's going to stick!