About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

August 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/25/19 by ModDee; 17757 views.
TinyBadger

Oct-20

Oooh! Another plant! And you stayed strong even though your wife lit up! Great job, Anthony! 

Jatchat

Oct-20

Thanks Tiny,

Signing up for guitar lessons today, tuition for one hour per week free of charge, Whoopee! How are you going? I have saved a $100 so far by not smoking, cigarettes are expensive here in Australia $27.95/Pckt of Holiday 20's, I used to smoke 40/day when I was working, the fortune I burnt is beyond comprehension. Oh well let that be a lesson to myself.

Hope you're having a good day.

Loreficent

Oct-20

More soon Anthony, but yes!! That is STRONG WORK for you to do that in such close proximity to someone smoking! I’m proud of you!muscleclappray

Loreficent

Oct-20

Thank you too for the explanation of patch strength and how it works! I used the patch too and often wondered how it equated as it seemed important to me in my head to understand that and I could say to myself I was still “getting a fix” but I never knew how much or the equivalent. I agree too and all of the evidence supports use of NRT for higher success rate. This of course does not mean there are not many successful cold turkey quitters as there definitely are, and I definitely find it admirable, but never worked for me. I hate to see anyone discouraged for not doing it a certain way. The most impressive and important thing is to never give up!!

TinyBadger

Oct-20

Lessons sound great! When I took up piano lessons I read that playing an instrument triggers parts of the brain that nothing else does. I'm not any good, but I like it and it keeps me busy. Here it's only 15 bucks a lesson so thats good. I like the lady, too. Cigarettes are so expensive there! I bet you have smoked away a lot of moolah but it stops now. You have decided to put your foot down and say no to burning your money and lungs. Just say no to that tobacco!

Loreficent

Oct-20

I just did the conversion to US dollars. Wow! That is about $19.74 here. When I quit I was paying $8.30 for a pack of what is considered more expensive smokes, American Spirits. You can still get some for like $5.70, like Marlboros or some generic for a little less but none under $5 I think. That is gonna change in Oregon as the Tobacco Tax is gonna pass! Woohoo!! It includes all vape stuff too, so is a very good thing. Though...we all know that folks that have the will, will find a way. Anthony, maybe put some post it’s around your house. Something like “I have the will to remain smoke free”. Turn the negative thoughts into positive and put them in writing all around where you seem them. We can change our mindset but it takes work and sometimes external reminders help! Plus...it will be good for your wife too to see the thoughts turned in a different light. Give her maybe just a spark of a different way to see it, nothing more. Just see that it is possible to turn thoughts a different direction. 

CC to TinyBadger
TinyBadger

Oct-20

Marlbs here are almost 8 bucks! Sheesh! And I was smoking up to two packs per day.

Loreficent

Oct-20

Whoa....I didn’t realize you had smoked that much. I smoked about 15. Sometimes a pack. I’ll look when I go to the store and see how much here, but For some reason Marlboro was cheaper. Tiny...you really are Montana! Isn’t that where those Marlboro commercials were made? It was always mountainous and pretty.

TinyBadger

Oct-20

Oh, yeah. In morning before I went to work I'd smoke 6 in an hour and a half. I was a very heavy smoker. Before I really quit, I had to wear patches at work because I simply could not get through 5 hours not smoking. I was smoking and wearing a patch. My golly, I was not doing well. I started on marlboro reds, then moved to camels for a while then whent to marlboro smooths. (A really light menthol) I had a surgery planned and I was so scared I smoked a pack between 5 and 11 pm. That's why this is such a big deal to me. Im not saying it's any harder for me than for anyone else, but it is hard because i constantly had a cigarette in my hand. You should've seen my fingers. Gross. I never smoked inside so my place all night was the deck. I justified it by saying I was playing with the dogs and getting them out and about, but I knew deep down that it wasnt about that. I hated myself for being so weak. The addiction had a hold of me and I felt so powerless. But that wasnt true! I had the power to choose what to put to my lips, what kind of air to inhale. I have the choice every second of every day wether to smoke or not. Sure,I get weak and ask for help. But I know in the end that it's not really what I want. I don't want to smoke. I am an addict whose brain is rewiring because it's been bathed in garbage so long that it thinks that swamp is normal. I'm going to end this cycle and fight as hard as I can to stay smober. I know I can do this. I know we can do this.