About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 33919 views.
ragdollmmb56

1/5/21

hi my name is marcia. i started not smoking on january 3, 2021. they say the 3rd day is the hardest. how unbearable or whatever is it anyway. i hope i can get thru it

gkim

1/5/21

Congratulations on your quit. Deciding is the hardest then the rest is just fighting with yourself. I’m a little over two months and I have no idea how I accumulated these many days. It definitely wasn’t easy and it won’t be for a long time but if you really want it then you can do it. It’s a commitment to yourself. Good luck. Read everything you can on this site. More info you have better prepared you’ll be. Also read other people’s stories. It puts everything in perspective and you will know you made the right choice. 

DanJF3

1/5/21

You are on the road to freedom!  I'm glad you are finding the book helpful.  Smoking doesn't really give us anything positive although we trick ourselves into thinking it does.  I totally relate to how daunting it feels to be without nicotine.  I've mentioned this on some other posts on this site that on my second last day as a smoker I nearly was in tears thinking about giving it up.  The only way I kept from actually crying was to tell myself my quit wasn't going to last more than a couple days anyway so let it go.  

Once you do quit you will find more mental strength and sense of confidence and some peace of mind.  Oh and likely you will get better quality sleep.  That is a definite gain.  The beginning is the hardest part for sure and yes things get easier.  Does that mean we never have thoughts of smoking or vaping again?  Well no, I certainly have the thoughts now and then but thankfully they are not thoughts that lead to action.  

Keep your positive outlook and share the journey with the support you have here.  You will see you can do this!

In reply toRe: msg 22
CarlaLee123

1/5/21

Today is day 5

quit date Jan 1 2021

Anne2020

1/6/21

Excellent - you've past the first of the icky 3's - (3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months)  and are on your way.   Now that the nicotine is out of your system, your cravings will being to take hold because your body is sayin give that to me, your mind is trying to trick you into thinkin you want that and you are working double hard to establish control of both your mind and body. 

Your strength of spirit is your backup.  Well done CarlaLee.         

Anne2020

1/6/21

You can deal with it.  If you can convince your body to smoke those awful cigarettes, then you will have no problem convincing yourself not to smoke them.  By day three smoking is revealing its true self you to - the horrible smell, taste, and drain on your health.

Quitting was not tough for me and doesn't have to be tough for you either.  Have your read Allan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking.  You can get it on-line and it is an excellent book to help you unveil the truth about smoking and what you have been brainwashing yourself into believing.

You can do this.  

abrewster14

1/6/21

Me too! It’s an accomplishment. I have to say first thing in the morning and right before bed are still driving me crazy. I’m patched up and reading Allen cart for the second time. I was surprised by how actually addicted I was and how strong the mental urge to smoke is. I have been a 8 to 10 smokes for 25 years and was terrified and sad to quit Jan 1. 

gkim

1/6/21

Yes, first thing in the morning is my toughest too and when I get up in the middle of the night. When I smoked I didn’t mind so much I did that since I can just have a cigarette. I’m a little over two months and those urges have subsided considerably. Some mornings I actually don’t even think about it. I keep thinking it’s a miracle. What our bodies and and minds are capable of is amazing. Good luck to you and keep reading. For me the Quit Stories on this forum is really helpful. It’s a reminder to me why I need to stay strong! Welcome! 

In reply toRe: msg 27
Anne2020

1/6/21

Forgetting to think about smoking (the peace) - that's the first sign that you are well on your way.  That inner peace will become longer and longer as the days and weeks go by.  Soon, you will forget about smoking all day.  Then it will become something you only used to do. 

Congradulations and well done.  

Msg 5459.29 deleted