About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 36602 views.
Nope62

2/25/21

I am glad to hear that both you and Glammy2016 are doing well.

I am also in week eight. I have bad and good days. Today was the worst I've had for awhile. I almost gave myself 24 hrs. notice. I have this deal with myself that if I decide to go back to smoking I have to wait 24 hrs. after I decide before I pick-up again. I made it though and I hope tomorrow is a lot better. I can't get my mind off of smoking. I'm no longer taking an NRT, but thinking about going back on it.

I don't have another Doctors appointment until April. I took a breathing test where they made me breath into this machine, then they gave me a breathing treatment. After that I had to take the breathing test again. I must not have been too bad because I never got the results.

I check in here everyday and I have also noticed that there has been very little activity lately. Maybe that is a good sign and the people that are quitting are doing better.

Take Care!

Glammy2016

2/26/21

Pilates you go girl! I bought a treadmill 7 weeks ago so I could walk every  morning  after I quit. Haven't got on it yet I swore  this time would be different and it wouldn't be a coat rack. The good news is every morning I get a chance to try again. I'll bet  it felt good for your  friend to be able to throw that pack out the  window without opening it. The quit mindset won the battle I knew a woman who had an unopened  pack of cigarettes in her purse for 2 years . She said she bought it the day she quit. She kept it and told herself if she ever wanted one it was there. Not sure that would work for me. I think how the thought of needed a smoke effects us depends on how much power we give it. I counter that by recognizing  every time I find myself doing something  that would have required  me smoking in the past and saying look at me this is amazing  I am free I don't need to smoke. Then when that nicotine demon tries to tell me I will never make it I have a reference to call him out on. Hope your appointment  goes well. Happy Friday. 

Glammy2016

2/26/21

I have read that NRT can be used up to 6 months safely. I use the patch 7 MG and lozenges 2mg. I am planning on taking full advantage of the extention . I ran out of patches during the recent winter storm as my shipment was delayed.  The lozenges  alone were not enough. The cravings were so much stronger. The patches finally got here yesterday  and I am not ashamed to say I tore that box open lol. I am a sissy and need the comfort it offers. I hope your breathing test goes well. 

Anne2020

2/26/21

That's the thing about smoking - when you quit, you have to always quit.  Even years down the road, a craving or thought could pop into your head to pick up a smoke (just one).  One is all it takes.

Think of the crack head or speed addict or even alcoholic.  Once hit, one drink, one smoke will take you all the way back to the beginning of your quit.  Ever play snakes and ladders and land on a slide.  

That's why you can never drop your guard.  Always be vigilant.  After all, you are fighting yourself, right.   No more cunning an adversary than yourself.  You know you so well.  You know how to talk yourself into smoking which means, you also know how to talk yourself out of it.

Stay away from the smokes man - back away - far, far away.

Anne2020

2/26/21

Well done - you are doing great - keep it up.  You can do this and know you can.  You just have to put the time in the get the time out.  Cheers!

Chloeleb2001

2/26/21

If its this Friday - Im praying for you and that its all good news! If its next week, good luck :) every day you just don't smoke your body heals :)

Also, pilates?! I love pilates! Not sure if you've looked into Bikram yoga but once the pandemics over, I'm sure you'll really love to sweat out all the BS too! Could use a Pilates friend too. You from LA? Take care :) 

abrewster14

2/26/21

Haha I really like it. I bought an at home system but going to the class and having an instructor keeps me accountable to going and sticking with it. No I’m definitely in the you can’t smoke what you don’t have camp. If I had smokes I’m sure I could find a reason. Haha you phrase that really well but yes I’m going through the same thing. Stacking up experienced not smoking 

abrewster14

2/26/21

Last week I had a few days like that. I keep telling myself that I can’t let my brain think I’m going to give in. I think the 24 hour rule is important. Also it’s two steps you have go to the store and buy them and then you have to light one. At some point you will have to start all over again. Don’t throw 8 weeks out the window. NRT is better than smoking. You got this just don’t smoke today 

abrewster14

2/26/21

You are not a SISSY! Whatever helps you not smoke do it. You are doing great. 

abrewster14

2/26/21

Thank you it’s next Friday. Even though I’m fully vaccinated I have to go for a covid test Monday blaaaaa. I really love the stretching of Pilates. I had never done it before. I really like the classes near me are limited but I’m going back Monday night. Still doing my sit-ups everyday. I wish I could use a Pilates buddy too but I’m in nyc. 
hows you’r quit going?