About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 34212 views.
MDS27

1/6/21

Yesterday, was the first full day of consciously trying to reduce vaping. Only 6 vapes with an average gap between vapes of 2hrs, 15 mins. This is a decent improvement on yesterdays 6 vapes with 90mins between. I know there are potential pitfalls with a cutting down approach rather than total cessation, but as I said yesterday, reducing to 6 vapes from approx 20+ per day is a big step for me and after it being such a dominant part of my life for so long, I need to take these baby steps first. 

Already I feel like I am leading a cleaner life. I feel more in control and less like a slave to nicotine. Keeping busy and distracting myself by finding things to do has helped - idle hands and all that. I had my strongest craving yesterday in the midst of doing some reasonably stress-provoking work as I worked through some investment decisions, a time when I would usually be sucking on my pen non-stop. I enjoy having more time and am excited to fill my life with more meaningful activities. I also have a sense of knowing I am on the right path and I like the guy I'm looking at in the mirror more.

For the past 2 years the first thing I've done upon waking is filled myself with nicotine. This morning I waited 25mins. The urge was really strong, but I sat there with it, breathed into it and reminded myself its an urge, but it doesn't mean I have to act on it. Today, my goal is to stretch the gaps out to 3hrs. 

CC to Loreficent
MDS27

1/6/21

How did day 3 go ragdoll?

Strength and courage to you!

Nope62

1/7/21

I'm back again and ready to quit for good! Tomorrow will be one week quit. It's been hard, but I'm doing it.

Sorry about posting as a reply, but I couldn't figure out how else to post and get involved with other quitters here.

Good Luck to you all!

MDS27

1/7/21

One week - Getting it done! Good for you.

I'm not there yet. What's working for you?

Anne2020

1/7/21

Welcome back and well done.  First week is the hardest.  Cheers!!    

In reply toRe: msg 41
abrewster14

1/7/21

Tomorrow is 7 days - actually kinda surprised. Hanging in there thank you for all the support. 

Nope62

1/7/21

HI!

Thanks for the reply! I will have a week at midnight tonight. You will be able to get there!

I use a quit plan that is a combination of things I have learned from past attempts. This time I am using a 7 mg patch during the day. Putting it on when I get up and taking it off when I go to bed. It makes me have weird dreams. 

For me, I really don't think one way of quitting is any better than another. I set a goal of not smoking each day and then try to stick to it. Every day I don't smoke, I win that day. Then I pray for the strength to make it through the next day. So it's a day at a time for me right now. I don't have the strength or commitment to use the word never when it comes to smoking. I wish I did, because I think those quitters are more successful. I can only manage the present.

Good Luck to You! 

Nope62

1/7/21

Congratulations on being quit for one year! You deserve to be proud of yourself!

Anne2020

1/7/21

Oh thanks so much.  I have to admit it was allot easier than I thought it would be although there were a few times I needed to reinforce my determination to see it through.  Now, it doesn't bother me in the least.  So that is the peace of mind you have to look forward to.  Some get it early, some much later but in any event, it does come.  I know you will make it too.  If I can be of any support to you, you can rely on me, anytime.  

CHeers!!     

DanJF3

1/7/21

Hey MDS!  That's good that you are starting to feel some of the benefits of cutting back.  I know what you mean in that you really do like yourself better because you are taking better care of yourself.  There is no shortage of physical and emotional benefits to eliminating nicotine from our lives.  That's good that you are gaining more comfort getting uncomfortable.  Even after a year I still get some cravings that can be a bit uncomfortable but you learn to deal with it.  Delaying and deep breathing are definitely things you can do to build strength.  Each time you delay and make it longer without deciding to act you gain even more strength.

Keep working in the right direction and some day soon make it a goal to go a day without vaping.  You're not making a lifelong commitment that day, just a commitment for one day and then hopefully something you can repeat the next.  The thought of failure can be scary.  I've been there and failed many times before I had a success but you have a good support system here and nobody is going to beat you up for failure unless they are super hypocritical because we have all been there.  You can do it!