About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 33919 views.
SusanK1960

Mar-10

Hi Anne,

68 days without smoking is wonderful!! I found focusing on one day at a time, not looking forward or backward seemed to help me in this recent quit, which was different from before.  That and the forum are what I think helped me the most.  Anyway, you asked about Wellbutrin.  It depends on your physiology.  It makes me angry, while others stated it helped with their moods.  Most everyone has some type of emotionally change when they quit.  A couple of thoughts:

If your mood does change noticeably, it usually takes a couple of weeks to get to therapeutic level, which may feel too long.  

If you start taking Wellbutrin now, it may help enough to keep any noticeable mood changes.  

You know you the best.  You have another 9 months of psychologically disconnecting from the cigs.  You will probably have cravings for another 2-3 months, although they may get farther and farther apart with each week.  Instead of having the craving ever couple hours, it may happen twice in the morning and three times at night, then maybe only when you drive somewhere, etc.  I don’t know if Wellbutrin with cravings, but it was developed to help quit smoking.

I know others are here, including me, needed help with moods.  Nicotine is know as a “mood enhancer” so you may suffer some changes as your receptors are looking for a good time and not getting it, so they can throw a tantrum and set your whole emotional balance off.   stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

abrewster14

Mar-12

Thank you so much for responding. Thank you I don’t think I would have believe I could make it this far the first week. I’ve been having the worst week at work and oddly I haven’t broken a bought a pack (literally shocked) because it would be the perfect excuse that my boyfriend and family would understand. I’ve been on the lowest dosage prescribed of Wellbutrin for six days. So far so good. 

In reply toRe: msg 386
abrewster14

Mar-12

Happy Friday all! It’s been ten weeks today. Physically doing pretty good still doing Pilates twice a week. Mentally it still depends on the day. I don’t want lung cancer I don’t want to die and that’s guaranteed. It’s crazy that my brain can still tell me I miss the ceremony and feeling of smoking. I really want to be a happy non smoker. Right now I’m just a non smoker fighting every day to stay there. I seriously don’t want to start over ugggg wanted to check in with everybody and see how it’s going for all of you 

gkim

Mar-12

I absolutely get that. Some days are better than others. I just passed four months. I know it will continue to improve - there’s got to be a day when I don’t fantasize about how smoking would feel. Ugh

abrewster14

Mar-12

Thanks for the support. I really hope you are right. I hate that I still often fantasize how it would feel the ritual of it. 

In reply toRe: msg 389
abrewster14

Mar-15

Hey guys are you hanging in there? First day no patch. Eeek

Loreficent

Mar-15

Hey there!

Wonderful! You’re doing fantastic! Stay close to here and shout out if you need a hand.

How long for you now?

abrewster14

Mar-16

Morning Lori. 
2 month and 15 days. how about you? How are you doing? I took the 7 mg patch off yesterday morning and struggling a bit today not sure if it’s my mind playing tricks on me or I wasn’t ready. I was thinking that like the carr books say all nicotine does is make you want more nicotine so wouldn’t that be true of the patch and I should remove all nicotine?

Loreficent

Mar-16

Hey Anne!

Yay! That’s a good chunk of smoke free time already! 
Well....yes...the idea of NRT is to slowly wean off, which you’ve done. This is helpful for a lot of folks as smoking is not just physical addiction. Try to look at it as the last several weeks you have been slowly weaning your body while you unhook from emotional and psychological aspects of the addiction. You’ve given yourself a head start and learned that you can get through some of those triggers and situations and you are still here and doing ok. Now you’ve chosen to do the final unhook physically by stopping the patch. This should be less but it won’t be gone and that’s ok. Hopefully you feel a bit empowered mentally by how far you’ve come! For me the physical withdrawal is by far the easier of the pieces of this insidious addiction. You are still gonna have some of that while the patch and small amount of nicotine from it clears your system. The mental and emotional attachments will still be there after a few days, just like anyone who has quit with any method at this point. Cold Turkey clears the nicotine quicker, but those folks still work through the other stuff. We all do as that is what the addiction did for us; made tons of associations and ties. You have a great start though and the only direction to go is forward. Stay close to here and reach out and keep reading. I found some good stuff recently I’ll send you, but now I gotta go. Last...worse comes to worse....put a stinking patch back on if really necessary, but do not smoke. You can keep going, I promise. You are in recovery! Yay! 
more soon....

abrewster14

Mar-16

Hey Lori 

thanks so much. I have had some really ----- days at work. I’m literally tittering but honestly the amount of time and not wanting to start over is stopping me. I’m seriously miserable. Ugggggg I know logically a smoke won’t make me feel better but the addiction is telling me it will make everything okay. I logically know that in fact I’ll just be disappointed in myself for failing my quit