About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 36104 views.
Anne2020

1/7/21

Oh thanks so much.  I have to admit it was allot easier than I thought it would be although there were a few times I needed to reinforce my determination to see it through.  Now, it doesn't bother me in the least.  So that is the peace of mind you have to look forward to.  Some get it early, some much later but in any event, it does come.  I know you will make it too.  If I can be of any support to you, you can rely on me, anytime.  

CHeers!!     

DanJF3

1/7/21

Hey MDS!  That's good that you are starting to feel some of the benefits of cutting back.  I know what you mean in that you really do like yourself better because you are taking better care of yourself.  There is no shortage of physical and emotional benefits to eliminating nicotine from our lives.  That's good that you are gaining more comfort getting uncomfortable.  Even after a year I still get some cravings that can be a bit uncomfortable but you learn to deal with it.  Delaying and deep breathing are definitely things you can do to build strength.  Each time you delay and make it longer without deciding to act you gain even more strength.

Keep working in the right direction and some day soon make it a goal to go a day without vaping.  You're not making a lifelong commitment that day, just a commitment for one day and then hopefully something you can repeat the next.  The thought of failure can be scary.  I've been there and failed many times before I had a success but you have a good support system here and nobody is going to beat you up for failure unless they are super hypocritical because we have all been there.  You can do it!

MDS27

1/7/21

Nice work again on 1 week smoke free! I hope you're feeling proud and free.

I've used the patches before - you've just reminded me of the crazy,  vivid dreams I had when I used them. In a strange way, I kind of liked the crazy dreams. Because they were so vivid they were easier to recall and it was pretty funny to see what was going on in my sub-conscious. 

Yesterday, I only used nicotine 6 times, extending out the gap between uses from 2hrs, 15mins the day before to 2hrs, 45mins. I would estimate this is something like a 70-80% drop in my nicotine use. I'm noticing it doesn't have a stronger hold on me. I picked up my vape pen a couple of times for a scheduled puff and wasn't really that interested in it. "What's the point?" and "I don't really need this" were welcome thoughts that popped up. Also, only vaping in one room of the house - big change from everywhere and anywhere. Enjoying the time I'm saving from all the charging and tank filling and constantly sneaking away for a puff of having to have a drag before I go into a shop or do any activity. 

Using food as my reward, but also really conscious of gaining weight (brother just gave up and put on 15kg), so I'm focusing on making meal times special. Cooking quality food and really savouring the meal - making it a bit of an event, eating slower and savouring my food.

Anyway, plan today is to extend the stretches out to 4hrs. In the middle of the first one right now. 

Strength and peace to you all!

MDS27

1/7/21

Good to hear from you and thanks Dan,

Yeah, delay, delay, delay is working. It has become a bit of a game that I'm getting better at and I really like those moments when I realise I haven't thought about vaping for x mins. It's interesting to watch that "time for a vape" thought come up (usually after any activity) and for it to be decreasing in power and frequency.

Good call! I think I'm ready and will build up to a vape free day over the next few days. Might go for a Sunday when I don't have much on. Notice the busy days when I am rushing is where my stress increases and urges are stronger.

Thanks for your support - means a lot!

MDS27

1/7/21

Hi,

Have enjoyed reading your posts - lots of wise advice. I've been focusing on the inner peace you often talk about. It's a good thing to focus on.

Well done on being smoke-free for 1 year!

Anne2020

1/7/21

Thanks and good work on your time stretches.   Just like everything in life, practice, practice, practice.  Keep exercising your will to quit and it will strengthen your resolve to victory.   It takes time and patience is required but efforts are rewarded.  

Well done.  CHeers!

carito997

1/7/21

Hello, tomorrow will be day 10 for me if I get past this urge to run to the store downstairs to get a pack. It’s been haunting me the whole evening, it’s so hard! But I’ll try fighting it.

Eve1973

1/7/21

Don’t do it! Eat gum, chew on straw or sip ice water through straw! Hang on it’s tough, but you have made it SO FAR!

DanJF3

1/7/21

Breathe deeply and distract yourself.  The urge will go away whether you smoke or not.  I know it's not easy but you can do it.

Nope62

1/8/21

How did you get along with stretching it out to 4 hrs. between vapes? When you vape do you take one or two drags off the vape at a time? I'm not trying to be noisy, but I have no experience with vaping.

I read back a few post to understand what and how you are quitting. As I understand it you are tapering off by reducing the amount of nicotine your putting in your body each day. Like someone who keeps cutting down on the amount of cigarettes they smoke each day until they get to none.

I've never tried that approach, but I do hope it works for you!

I've used the patches and cold turkey. I had my longest quit several years ago using Chantix, 17 weeks. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how you quit, as long as you get it done.

Good Luck!