About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Enough is Enough   Quit Stories and Journals

Started Jan-15 by Enuff2020; 1149 views.
Enuff2020

Jan-15

I thought I would put all my posts here since I seemed to be writing a diary more than anything else in the other folder, and this way I will be able to look and see everything in the same place. I hope that's what this folder is for....

So I'm going to find my other posts and copy some of the things and put it here so I will be able to look back on it.

I had a text message at lunchtime from a friend saying "it's days like today that nicotine is for" - I'd told her I was having some frustration at work (nothing unusual there, it's unusual if I'm not frustrated). I haven't told her I've stopped smoking yet. I want to wait a bit longer because while I don't think she would deliberately sabotage me, when I have said before after I quit and took it up again that I wanted to quit she kept saying things like "don't worry about smoking, you don't smoke much, you have to die from something".

I think part of the sad thing for me is that I have no one except people on here to say well done, because my husband doesn't know that I was smoking every day at work and my self-centered colleagues haven't realized that I have quit (and wouldn't care anyway).

Anyway, I need to do this for myself and will succeed.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Enuff2020

Jan-15

Posted in the January 2020 New Ex-Smokers group, posted here for my diary benefit....

Gee that Very Well Mind website is fabulous (so is this forum), so much information that seems to be written just for me!

Posting this in case it helps others as well:

Ask Yourself 7 Questions Before Smoking a Cigarette

If you absolutely cannot shake thoughts of smoking and are worried you're about to cave in and smoke, stop everything. Sit down with a pen and paper and honestly answer the questions below. Or, answer these questions in advance and carry them with you to review when needed.

• Thinking back to the day you quit, how were you feeling about smoking?
  • How many years did you smoke? How long did you want to stop?
  • If you go back to smoking will you want to quit again? Will you wish you hadn't lit up?
  • When will you quit again? Will it be weeks, months, years, or when illness strikes?
  • What benefits will smoking offer you?
  • Is smoking now worth giving up all of the work you've invested in cessation?
  • Will quitting be any easier the next time around?
In reply toRe: msg 2
Enuff2020

Jan-15

Jan-14

Thanks Susan, I like that "you are in training".

I said to someone on one of my previous attempts I had to learn to be a non-smoker because I have smoked 98% (guessing) of my adult life and they didn't get what I was saying, but maybe people here will. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Enuff2020

Jan-19

This is probably a bit harder than I thought it was going to be, but this is day 11 and I have not even touched a cigarette so that is something to be proud of blush

I just realised I'm not wearing a patch today, but I should be okay because I had been cutting them in half anyway since I only smoked when I was at work. And since I am not going to buy any I should manage to get through the cravings which I seemed to be having even with the patch - so mine are obviously more mental than physical, which is probably true because I don't think they have necessarily decreased much since quit day neutral_face

But at least I haven't had to go through another quit day like I have been doing every week for months and months and months - which wasn't a waste of time because it got my mind used to this idea.

ModDee

Jan-31

Hey there..............................................

(((Hugs)))

In reply toRe: msg 5
Enuff2020

Feb-13

Thankyou for caring.

I failed. 

I've been on the site a few times but haven't logged in.

I've had days of not smoking and then days in a row of smoking.

My intention is to stop again today.

I still don't know (and will never know I guess) why I had that one after the longest period of quitting this time for 10 days. 

The only good thing is that I am only smoking 5 or so a day, which I know isn't great, but better than 10 or 20 a day.

I just don't know why I keep having that one? 

And why it doesn't seem any easier after 10 days than it does after 1 or 2 or 3. I read the stories and feel like such a failure compared to everyone else. But I don't want to quit quitting, I really don't want to smoke but I just seem to fail at telling all of my addict brain that :( 

Maybe I was too cocky when I first quit? I really thought I could do it this time. 

In reply toRe: msg 6
Enuff2020

Feb-14

(copied from my post to February 2020 Ex-Smokers page)

Okay, let's try this again (talking to myself).

Have had last smoke. Hopefully I've learned something this year, even though I thought I already knew I CAN NOT have just one puff. Anyway, at least I haven't given up giving up. 

ModDee

Feb-14

Good to see you're not giving up!  You deserve to be free.  See you over in the February 2020 thread.

(((Hugs)))

In reply toRe: msg 8
Enuff2020

Feb-15

Had last smoke about 4pm yesterday and it's now almost midnight

Proud of myself for not giving in to the "just one more packet" nonsense today and tonight, and will have to break that down to not giving in to the "just one smoke" because I thought I was doing so well last time not buying a packet, had a bad day at work (typical so got to find another way to deal with that) and got  just one from someone, didn't have another for a few days and that was just one but the next time after that I was buying a pack.  So I can't have "just one". 

Anyway, bed time now and another smoke free day tomorrow

In reply toRe: msg 9
Enuff2020

Feb-15

(Posted to me in the February Quit forum)

Here are a few articles you may find helpful.  We need to pull out every tool we can find to  win this battle.  There are two strong pulls in the first few months, one pull to smoke and one not to smoke.  We can beat it but must want it above all else.  You can do this.  Read as much information as you can.

Fight the Urge to Smoke by Knowing These 4 Triggers

Tips to Beat the Mind Games When You Quit Smoking

How to Beat the Junkie in Your Head When You Quit Smoking

Nicotine withdrawal puts unhealthy thoughts of smoking into our minds, but with knowledge of what to expect, you can beat junkie thinking down.