About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Chantix   General Chit-Chat

Started Feb-11 by Eve1973; 573 views.
Eve1973

Feb-11

Has anyone used Chantix to quit? This is my 3rd or 4th time using Chantix. Been successful with it, but once off of it, I seem to get all the nicotine cravings back and go back to smoking. I have a long way to go before I am off the medication, but wanted some insight/ inspiration on what to do later. Day 11! NOPE is my new motto! Thanks for that inspirational message.

CindiS319

Feb-11

Hi Eve, one of my wonderful quit buddies (Denim) forwarded your message to be because she knew I used Chantix at first.  It wasn't the first time I'd used it but this time it helped immensely because of other changes I made with my quit.  I also agree going off it was like a 2nd withdrawal. I had a quit date set 3/19/18 and on 3/9/18 at 5:30am said "I'm done".  It was still hard but I think Chantix helped a ton.  I was basically breaking habits and working through the junkie thoughts.  So then at about 2 1/2 months I thought, I'm done with Chantix.  BIG MISTAKE.  I felt like I was at Day 1.  I was ready to light up.  So I went back on them and asked for a refill.  Then for the next 2 1/2 months I slowly weened myself off.  And I mean SLOWLY.  I didn't want to feel so crappy and I didn't want to start all over.  So I just did every 2 weeks or so lower my dosage.  I still had withdrawal but not as bad as just stopping.  It was really a huge help the first couple months and I highly recommend it.  I understand it doesn't work well for some people so they shouldn't use it.  It was just an "aid", just like NRT (patches and gum).  My main motivators were this forum, education and a shift in my mindset that cigarettes were not my release or friend.  They were killing me.  I used every tool I could to get through my first year.  You can do this!  I smoked for over 35 years a pack of Marlboros a day.  My husband still smokes.  It annoys me but I don't really care anymore.  I'm the stronger person and am very proud of it.  Again, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!  Message me anytime.

cherbearquit

Feb-11

Hi Eve . I used Chantix to quit twice and had the same problem when I quit taking it. Lost 2 quits that way. Cindi has great advice about stepping down from it.  I can honestly say that I don’t blame my failed quits on Chantix. I allowed stress and “junkie thinking” lure me back. I am determined to make this my last quit by learning from my past mistakes, keeping a positive attitude, practicing NOPE and reading articles and posts here anytime I am having a difficult time. You can do this! You have the advantage of knowing what to expect, learning from your past and relying on all of the great information and advice this forum has to offer. Best wishes to you!

Quit 12/6/19

candrew

Feb-11

Hi Eve

I don't know if I can help you with insight/inspiration but I have been on Chantix now for 7 weeks. In that time I have relapsed twice for 8 and 9 days respectively. I believe that it helped for cravings but in that I relapsed twice does not say much.

I gave in to easily.

However its time to do it again, My new date is Valentines Day, Feb 14.  I will continue to take the Chantix as long as my prescription lasts. I am concerned that if I am to be successful will I need the med to stay quit?

Please let me know what you find out.

candrew

CindiS319

Feb-12

Hi Cherbearquit,

Congratulations on over 2 months!!  That's great!  I was so disappointed when I initially stopped Chantix (because I felt pretty strong in my quit) and had physical cravings that were out of this world!  I was like "Oh hell no...I'm not doing this!"  My doctor had no problem renewing my script, so I just thought to myself "Why am I in such a hurry to get off this?  It's not like I'm going to become addicted to it."  As a side note, I LOVE the Chantix commercials with the Slow Turkey.  It cracks me up every time I see it.

I, like you, really changed how I was approaching my quit this time, doing exactly the things you state in your post.  I was so angry, at society, at Big Tobacco, but mostly at myself, for having this addiction for as long as I did.  I used that anger and determination to battle all the junkie thoughts and cravings along the way.  Sounds like you are doing awesome!

CindiS319

Feb-12

Hi Candrew,

When you've gone a period of time (undefined) with not even one smoke and feel pretty solid in your quit, then try weening yourself off.  I really recommend going slowly because it is still hard.  Not as hard as cold turkey, but the cravings are stronger than when you're taking it normally.  You just have to power through them for however long it takes.  I think I weened myself off in about a month, a week at a time.  I think you're not supposed to split the pills in half, but I did anyway.  I'm not very good at following directions... haha.  Good luck to you on Valentine's Day!  We're here to support you!

Eve1973

Feb-12

Thanks so much for your insight! Really appreciate it! And early congrats on almost 2years! That is fantastic. 

I have tried to ween myself off before, but not as slow..... can try that when I am ready, and yes this forum is very helpful. Can’t wait to have a month under my belt! 

I believe the different mindset is KEY to kicking this awful habit! Wow kudos to you having a smoker around. You are definitely a strong woman!

Thanks again Eve - 13 days!

Eve1973

Feb-12

Thanx Cher, 

My doctor did say I could stay on it for a up to a year, but see what your Doc says. Also I may try Wellbutrin after done with the Chantix. 

I think we go back to it because we start thinking we can just have one, but this NOPE acronym i keep repeating in my head. Also made my own up, NOMP ( Not one more puff) and it’s funny to say..... another thing that I am doing differently this time is, everyone I do see smoking, rather then envying them, I am saying “ Look at them killing them selves.” 

I always stayed away from drugs because of the videos they showed you in health class in school, but maybe they should make one ( not just a commercial) about the effects of smoking and what is does to your body/mind/life!

I know you can do this too! You are almost 2mos in and no more junkie thinking. You are stronger than a Junkie! Thanx for your input! Be Strong! 

NOMP and NOPE, Eve 1/30/2020

Eve1973

Feb-12

Candrew, my doctor said I could be on it up to a year, never been on it that long (6months).. but going to stay on it as long as I can and may try the Wellbutrin afterwards..... but you have to have the motivation to stayed quit! 
   Try writing down why you want to quit, ( I carry my list in my pocket) maybe try writing down what triggered you to relapse and what you could do instead if it happens again. Just a thought, good luck on V day!

NOMP AND NOPE, Eve 1/30/2020

Eve1973

Feb-12

Haha I did the same thing with the pills when weened myself off them..... don’t follow directions either