About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

When is the right time to stop Chantix   General Chit-Chat

Started Feb-14 by 1970Flyboy; 267 views.
1970Flyboy

Feb-14

AS of today I am 45 days nicotine free.  And as I write this at 11:24 in the morning I just remembered that I forgot to take my morning does of Chantix and it was not a big deal.  I went ahead and took it to maintain the therapeutic results of the medication.  I would like to know from people who have stopped smoking using Chantix when you came off of the medication?  I know that there will not be a blanket answer that is applicable to everyone, I am just looking for a general rule of thumb.  Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.   

cherbearquit

Feb-14

Hi. There is another discussion right above yours that might interest you. Cindi gave great advice on this subject. She talked about taking her time stopping the Chantix and slowly weaning off of it.  Everyone is different, but I can tell you the first three months of quitting are the most challenging I think. So take your time and try to get more input on this. Wishing you all the best!

Quit 12/6/19

CindiS319

Feb-14

Hi there and welcome Flyboy!  I tried to stop taking it cold turkey at about 5 months and it took a couple days, but the cravings hit me like a train.  I wasn't even sure it was really doing anything.  That proved it to me right there.  So I went right back on it and it took me about a month to totally ween myself off.  I would keep the same dose about a week and then step down.  It made it so much easier than just stopping.  Give yourself time... there's no rush.  Don't risk what you have accomplished so far for anything.  45 days is a huge accomplishment so always have your guard up.  You never know what's going to cause a trigger or a craving.  My first summer it was grilling and gardening... I would have never expected that!  But like you say, everyone is different so just listen to your mind and body and do what you're comfortable with.  You're doing great!

DebraAnne60

Feb-14

Just curious, where are you hailing from?  It is still Feb 14 where I am. 

1970Flyboy

Feb-17

I live in Louisville, KY USA.  If you are also from the US sorry for the formality in the address.  I have just noticed that there seems to be people from all over the word on this chat board.    

DebraAnne60

Feb-17

yeah thats so cool - I am from Ontario, Canada

CindiS319

Feb-17

I'm in Northern Ohio.

Eve1973

Feb-18

Hi Flyboy, this is my 3 or 4th time on the Chantix. I have gotten all the way to 6 months and weened myself off..... no good all the cravings reared it’s head and went back. (Not saying this would happen to you). 

Everytime I have been on the medication has been different. So I would say it affects everyone different. When ready, start to ween off, but still be ready to go back on. (Told my doctor about craving after 6mos and he said I could stay on it for up to a year) probably try again around 8or9 months to ween off very slowly.

This time I am having a much healthier and brighter outlook that I can succeed. Especially with this group for support! 

I hope this helps!

Eve 1/30/2020