About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I feel like I am a lost cause   Quit Support

Started Feb-15 by AliceMay5; 1179 views.
AliceMay5

Feb-15

Hi everyone.  After my bust on 7 February I continued to smoke and drink.  Then last week I decided to have another go.  Managed 4 days THEN, I felt powerless over the pull of cigarettes and alcohol.   This came about by what I perceived as major stressors but I know I would handle them better without these crutches, I just need to give it a go. My main aim is to be in the February quitters.

Dearest Alice you are not a lost cause. We all attempt umpteen times to finally draw a line in the sand and say I will not fall for it ever again and I will withstand anything and everything withdrawal throws at me. 

Yes the first three to four months are the hardest as you gain the quit mindset. Stay busy, get outside, go to places where smoking isn't permitted, lay off the coffee or scale it back, chew on gum, use whatever nicotine replacement products you need to just never put another cigarette in your lips. I used the nicorette spray, gum and nicorette inhaler plus black licorice, mint gum, sugar free candies, and after six months I joined a gym and walking/running group to lose the weight I gained with quitting. Now I do weight lifting and cycling 5 times a week. 

Each one of us has the ability to prolong our actions - wait it out - drink water instead of shoving food into our mouths and not shoving a cigarette in our lips when things get stressful or use it as a reward. Our brain needs time to fix everything we did to it by smoking those poisons. Yes the cravings suck but turn this thinking around as proof you are fixing your body. Every time you make it through a craving think of it positivity. You are slashing this from your life. None of us needs cigarettes to cope with life. They cost lots of money that we can use for other worthwhile things. I saved over $15,000 over the 6+ years I've been quit. My husband and I both quit and we've bought a new car for the money we would have spent on cigarettes. So, make your choice and protect your quit no matter what crap you have to endure. It can be done! Read everything on this forum and help each other stay quit as you'll never regret it once you are free.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

ModAndrea

Feb-16

You are not a lost cause, AliceMay. I can't count the number of times I had relapsed before I first came here. I had smoked for 40 years. I joined the forum and quit in May 2013. I relapsed in July, but, like you, I continued to check into the forum. I got my act together and quit the following August. I've now been quit for over six years.

One of the things that was key for me was changing my attitude towards smoking. I had to stop looking at smoking as a reward. I had to realize that smoking wasn't really relaxing. All it did was end the withdrawal that sets in right after the previous cigarette. Smoking solves nothing. 

I decided not to drink alcohol for months after I quit. My association between smoking and drinking was a huge trigger. Also, I knew that drinking would dissolve my resolve.

Prepare yourself for your quit, AliceMay. You may find these articles helpful in getting ready.

Getting Ready to Quit:

What are Your Reasons to Quit Smoking?
Why am I Afraid to Quit?  
When is The Best Time to Quit? 
How You Can Prepare to Quit 
Quit Aid Choices 
Supplies to Have On Hand When Quit Day Arrives

Take it one day at a time. Join the new ex-smokers quit buddy group. Stick close to the forum. Reach out when you need support.

You can do this, AliceMay!

Hugs,

Andrea

• Edited February 16, 2020 11:51 am  by  ModAndrea

No, you’re not a lost cause - as my picture is already on that page in the dictionary. You’ll also find it under winning.

it took me 5 years to get 1 full year smoke free. Imagine five years on the forum failing. My original handle was StillStanding - knock ‘em, sock ‘em but he won’t fall down. I knew I was going to get knocked around but I was determined to be the last one standing.

Once I got a few years smokefree - I changed my handle to StandingTall - beat that bastard.

Five years of struggle - here is one jewel I learned: there is only one way that you will ever quit smoking: stop smoking.

so very simple..... stopping means no compromise, no exceptions, no excuses. Stop.

Guaranteed success.

Hands down, this was absolutely the one of the hardest battles but it has paid a sweet reward. best decision. Ever.

you have brains in your head, feet in your shoes - you can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

keep up the fight

best

ChrisMH

Feb-18

After 38 years and more than a few attempts, I woke up 2 weeks and 2 days ago and smoked 1/2 a cigarette. Something in my mind changed at that moment. I put out the cigarette and have been winning so far.  The battle is mainly with the sneakiness of the addiction. I'll be fine and then bam, big urge.  I've been able to shake it off but my dentist will probably not be happy with my pocket full of fireballs and candy kisses with the almonds inside.  I find letting the chocolate dissolve and then chewing the almond is helpful.  

turtles

Feb-19

I too had severe oral cravings when I quit.  Chocolate was the fave and I still have a block every day as a snack.  I started buying sugar free hard candy from Russell stover online, $5 a bag  it’s been a lifesaver for keeping my mouth busy 

4/1/19

• Edited February 19, 2020 12:32 pm  by  turtles
Becka (Becka1955)

Feb-20

Hi Alice.  I know that feeling of being a lost cause.  But you are not.  You just keep doing it and doing it and one day you're just sick to death of quitting and you stay there; no matter what!

I had 5.5 months in back in early 2018 and made some good friends here, then I let it go.  Then I quit again in Nov. 2018 and that one didn't hold.  So I had a lot of stumbling in addition to those quits.

I quit on August 3, 2019 and this time, I seem to be getting there.  I don't think about smoking much at all, but... every now and then I get a passing thought.  It's important for me never to romanticize those stupid cigs.  I almost never drink alcohol these days (too closely associated with cigs for me) and coffee isn't quite as enjoyable either, but seriously... not smoking after 46 plus years is wayyyyy more important to me.

You can do this.  These folks like Debbie, and Andrea, and Dee, they are rock stars with their unfailing support and helpful links, etc.

CindiS319

Feb-21

Welcome back my old friend!  Denim gave me a heads up so I popped in here to look for you.  Glad to see you back and congratulations on your quit since August.  That's awesome!  I'm at work now but will get back on when I have more time for us to catch up.  Missed you and hugs!

Becka (Becka1955)

Feb-21

Hi sweetie!  Good to see you. I’m heading out but wanted to wave and thank you for the welcome back. Talk again soon. 

alexisfree

Feb-24

You are definitely not a lost cause.  As long as you keep trying, you will make one of these quits your forever quit.  I started quitting back in 2013 and I'm finally free (albeit just for today).  Just dust yourself off, forgive yourself, and seek all the help you can get.  Like Debbie says - Quitting isn't for sissies!  It takes a village, but we can do this!  Sending lots of love your way Alice May xoxoxo