About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Help. I don’t want to smoke...   Quit Support

Started Feb-21 by nomosmok; 1651 views.
nomosmok

Feb-21

At this exact moment I have one month...31 days. I don’t want to smoke but that’s what I did to deal with life. Life happened tonight. My brother, my best friend, has just passed away. I’m feeling very strong emotions & I don’t want to smoke. Help.

nomosmok

CC to Jatchat
SusanK1960

Feb-21

Oh nomo,

One question, If you smoke, will it help?

SusanK1960

Feb-21

I want to help you keep your quit.

I am so sorry about your brother!  Such devastating news!  Sending my thoughts and prayers to help you thru this awful time.

• Edited February 22, 2020 2:46 pm  by  SusanK1960
nomosmok

Feb-21

Oh Gawd NO Susan, it won’t help any thing. I think it will numb the pain but it will probably make it worse 

nomosmok

Feb-21

Thank you so much Susan. It’s just going to be a very difficult trial to walk through so early on.   They say you’re not given more than you can handle. Well, the universe must think I have buns of steel!!!

AnnieXS

Feb-21

Hi Nomo:

First, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your brother.  It is devastating so I know why you feel this urge to smoke, but please, please don't.  Smoking will change nothing.  You think it will give you a moment of solace but it won't.  It will put you right back where you were.  This addiction is insidious.  It makes you think the sticks are your best friend.  They are not.  This grieving process, without cigarettes, will make you unbelievably stronger.  It's a whole new world, learning how to cope with virtually everything without smoking and what you're experiencing now is the toughest test of all.  I know you are early on in this process so it is much more challenging, but I so hope you do this for yourself and stay the course.

AnnieXS

Quit May 8, 2015 

SusanK1960

Feb-21

Hi,
There are a few people on this forum who have lost loved ones while on this journey. In December alone, one member lost her dad and another lost her partner of 20 years.  Another who lost her mom 7 months into her journey.  The reason I bring this up is to reemphasize that you are not alone in your quitting journey.

Time is on your side.  Time and patience will help with your quit and your grief.  

cherbearquit

Feb-21

I am so sorry for your loss! But, please don’t give in to those “thoughts” that stress brings! Smoking will only make you feel worse. You have worked so hard to get to where you are. I lost a quit once after 9 months quit because I caved during a very stressful family situation. I hated myself for that. And it took me 10 years to quit again! So please don’t do that to yourself! I know you are hurting right now and wish we could take your pain away. All we can do is offer our support and let you know you are not alone. So lean on us, know we are here and stay strong. Tell that nasty nicodemon NOPE, NOPE, NOPE! 

nomosmok

Feb-21

Thank you, Susan

These are excellent articles that I’ve read & I needed to be reminded. That’s what I needed. A set of directions to get through this very tough time. Plus lots of support!  Thanks for being here.  Means the world to me. 
nomo