About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Help. I don’t want to smoke...   Quit Support

Started Feb-21 by nomosmok; 2729 views.
DebraAnne60

May-25

Hey NOMO, where are you?  Are you ok?  Havn't heard anything from you for quite some time.  Do check in.  Miss hearing from you.

alexisfree

May-27

Awesome job!!   Beautiful star ?? 

livtoswim

May-30

Hi Nomosmok,

My mother died on June 9, 2015.   During the month of May 2015 my mom was admitted to Hospice.  It was 30 days of watching her decline and then death.   I still feel grief and sorrow to this very minute.   After my visit with my mom I would go home have a glass of wine.  One day I decided to buy a pack of cigarettes and wine to comfort my pain and grief. 

That was it after a long quit.   It was so hard to quit after that.   If you do smoke for a little bit be sure to quit again soon.  The longer you smoke the harder it will be. I know.  

Today, I don't smoke or drink.   I hope your well.  Take care of yourself in a healthy way. Come back to the forum.   All the best.

overdoz

Jun-2

The coping mechanism of using nicotine/smoking is so engrained in a smoker after so many years. Im sorry about your mom, i watched my friend go through it with his father it was really painful for his family. I had quit smoking for almost 2 years, but there was still a lot of stress in my life and i was trying to deal with it, till one night in san francisco i was drinking at a bar and a girl offered me a cig, and i accepted it. I believe its more than quitting smoking, its also making big life changes that had led to using smoking as a mechanism to deal with things if that makes sense. Walking, bike riding, running if you can lifting weights are great replacement regimens to deal with life, and have good health. 

Have a great day, Overdoz quit 04-17-2020

DbAnne

Jun-3

I fixed your picture for you.  You just have to copy it from here.  If it is to big, copy it onto a message board, click on it, reduce its size then recopy it to save in your signature.

Nope62

Jun-3

I am glad to see that you are still doing well with your quit. As I remember you quit smoking and drinking at the same time! I was concerned that it would be too much all at once, but I was wrong. Great Job!

Take Care!

overdoz

Jun-3

Hi there, yes i quit both at once and then some..

Its hard with the alcohol, it is so socially acceptable and at most social gatherings nowadays there is alcohol and other things. I had a beer Saturday night, it was ok, nothing great. My friend said that it can spiral into more than that though which has happened to me in the past. So im just getting on track again to stay sober, i like diet coke much better anyway.  My cravings and junkie thinking have subsided for now, i went for a real long bike ride yesterday... So maybe that has helped not to have junkie thoughts...

How is your quit going?

Overdoz quit 04-17-2020

Nope62

Jun-3

I have 18 days quit right now. I had 20 days quit last month and lost that quit. Seems like I'm caught in a cycle. I can quit, but staying that way for any length of time keeps eluding me. I've quit four times since January 1st., and many times in the years before that. Seems silly doesn't it! I'm just praying, that at some point, my efforts will pay off.

I'm happy about your success! It takes a strong mined person to do what you've done.

Good Luck!

overdoz

Jun-4

18 days is good, a good amount of time. Try to have a plan if cravings or junkie thinking present themselves, they have presented themselves to me.. the chatter in my head that i can have one cig, and me wrestling with the idea of one, but i have not been successful in the past with smoking just a few a day, so i quiet that chatter. Running for me has been a fast way to get grounded quick, it requires so much physical endurance and concentration, builds your self esteem and releases feel good chemicals throughout the body. Yeah physical exercise is a very good alternative to deal with the illness of smoking i would call it. 

Overdoz quit 04-17-2020

livtoswim

Jun-4

Hi overdoz how are you today?  I have to say thank you.  You keep mentioning running.  It was a like a calling for me.  JUST DO IT.  I am so not motivated.  I am not new to running, swimming, biking.  I raced for years.  I just can't get it going.  YOU have inspired me.  I just want to avoid pain which i know is going to happen until I get stronger.   

YAY today is the day.  I don't know what came over me this morning but I am motivated to make some serious athletic changes in my life.  Coaching (the thing you lay on)  is not good for the health right!   Have a great smoke free sober day!