About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Deana's Journey    Quit Stories and Journals

Started Mar-2 by JerseyDee; 3240 views.
JerseyDee

Mar-5

Good Morning Susan --  Strangely morning coffee is OK with me, however, I stopped using cream and starting using fat free almond milk instead as I am also an intermittent fasting diet trying to lose 15 lbs .. so the change of the taste of my coffee may have something to do with it.

But yes, the cue, response has just got to change with other triggers in my life.

Thank you.

JerseyDee

Mar-5

Thank you Matt.  I will talk to neighbor and tell you that no matter of how beg, etc to never give me a smoke again.  I hope this never leads to me every buying a pack again though .. that is my fear.  But will tell to never again allow me so much as a puff again.

Thank you.

In reply toRe: msg 13
JerseyDee

Mar-5

2:30 pm my time .   on my second piece of gum today ... So far big time cravings are under control ... Feeling goid about going straight home at the end of the day for dark chocolate reward/ treat instead of stopping by stinky neighbor's to bum a somoke 

Feeling enetgized and entgused to go to be tonight without so much as a puff in my lungs.

May take 1-2 mote pieces of gum to get through but it is helping quite a bit.  Don't know if I could do it witgout it right now.

Will write back later with an update. Thanjs for support.

DebraAnne60

Mar-5

Even if you have to put a wad of that gum in your mouth - do it.  Much better to wad up than to smoke even one puff.   You will be glad you did.  

JerseyDee

Mar-5

H! .. well thanks for being there.  I did it .. I drove straight home!  And I am in the middle of having a few dark chocolate Hershey kisses and going to put my pj's on so don't get the squirley idea to go out back over there in later.

I am heating up some dinner and going to get comfy for the night .. If I can make it past 6:00 pm .. 40 mins from now I am good to go as I am out of the habit of having a cigarette so late in the night.

For the past 12 days I had one around 5:00 is but not later than that.  

I popped in a piece of gum around 4:45 before I left at 5:00 and that helped.  Then of all things I saw some addict lighting up and standing outside his car in the parking lot and suddenly he looked real silly to me .. like I was really seeing what a prisoner the poor guy was a how I wanted to be free from it.

I am feeling pretty good right it will be fantastic to go to bed tonight with not so much as a puff passing through my lips today whatsoever.  

I know getting through one day is a very, very small step but I am already feeling pretty triumphic.  I am in the for the fight of my life but I can and will do this.  it is so helpful just knowing others here have and.or are going through the same thing .. very helpful to me just knowing this.

Thank you DebrAnne .. how long have you been quit and what was the hardest part for you?

DebraAnne60

Mar-5

The hardest part was that first day.  It's not a small step, it is the biggest step.  I am so proud of you - way to go.  I am so proud of you I am in tears.  You did t.  Day 1, done.  Well done.  

relaxed

SusanK1960

Mar-5

Good evening Deana,

Good for you!  I am so very happy to hear you took the bull by the horns and resisted!  It is a huge step that you did not give in to your impulse!  That is a leap of faith in you!

Hugs!

JerseyDee

Mar-6

Thank you Susan.  Well I did it .. I went to sleep last night a non-smoker for the whole day .. not so much a as puff and feeling really good about that right now.

Worried about today though .. I am really going to have to dig deep .. have a company-wide meeting this morning .. all morning long .. and some of my counterparts are smokers and will be smoking on break times during the meeting ..

Am going to have to stick by the side of the non smokers in the group this morning when I usually I stick to the side of the smokers in the group .. all prepared to pop a piece of nicotene gum when break time hits and that should quell any urges .. I know the gum has mixed reviews but it is really a big help to me right now ..

Only plan to use it for a month or so though and then transition from it to sugar free bubble gum .. but I do feel like I need that crutch right now.

Well I will be back to journal likely later this afternoon or tonight .. thanks for your support.  - Dee

JerseyDee

Mar-6

Good Morning DebraAnne!  .. I DID IT!   Don't want to be too redundant in that I just replied to Susan with up update on where I stand right now .. however, I went to sleep last night at the end of the day a non-smoker! : ) !! 

Not so much as a single puff yesterday whatsoever.  I did go to bed early though .. really early .. a little after 7:00 pm just to get my mind off smoking .. but it was an absolute NOPE day for me yesterday and the first *real* day of this journey!

Today is going to be hard as there is a meeting at work and i have some counterparts that smoke .. I am going to keep plugging along though .. pop in a piece of gum at break times and stick to the side of non smokers when I would typically stick to the side of smoking group during break times during meetings.  I am determined to make today day #2 of not so much as a puff.

Work days are typically easier to get through as I keep myself busier ..AM worried about a lot of down over weekend and have lunch plans with a friend who smokes on Sat.  I think I am going to have to call her and tell her to please leave her cigarettes at home ... I hope it doesn't prove to be too much of a temptation being around a smoker so soon into this : ( 

That's the update from my end.  Need to get ready for my day now .. I have so, so much more time on my hands in the mornings now that the time isn't wasted in a big cloud of smoke from chain smoking and drinking coffee ..

My morning routine has been SO MUCH healthier for almost 2 weeks now .. it's been since not last Sunday but Sunday before that that i have given up my morning smoking routine.  Glad I have broken free from that ...

One thing I have noticed though . I am breaking up a lot of phleghm now .. apparently as a result from no longer smoking 1.5+ packs a day of stinky expensive murderous cigarettes!

Have a great day and again thanks for the support.  - Dee

DebraAnne60

Mar-6

You did do it.  Image result for snoopy dance