About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quiting this month - March    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Mar-10 by Jerry (jerryn916); 1269 views.
Jerry (jerryn916)

Mar-10

Hello All - this is my first post.  (Hopefully I'm doing this correctly!)  I'm 54 years and have smoked for 40 years - which I'm ashamed of.  I am the father of 3 wonderful teenagers and husband to an incredible woman.  I am so lucky!  But... I don't take care of myself and want to be around as long as I can for my family AND for ME!  In all this time, the longest I've quit is about 4 months and that was 2012.  My head is spinning right now.  I have a hard time picturing my life without smoking.  When I'm not smoking I want to smoke and when I smoke I feel horrible and ashamed.  I have been seeing a therapist on a weekly basis who is well educated in smoking cessation.  We've been planning for a few weeks and my quit day was yesterday.   Well - that quickly went out the window.  I'm seeing him this evening and have to get myself reset.  With his help, I will be picking another date.  I thinking this coming Monday, March 16th.  

Loreficent

Mar-10

Hi Jerry,

Welcome! This is great place to stay close to. Even if you don’t post a lot there is wisdom and encouragement and strength in everything here and tons of support.

Just take it a minute at a time. I did find some help with Allen Carr’s book I am using some of his philosophy of changing the way I was  thinking about cigarettes and smoking. I’m not the “cold turkey purist” Carr is, though do understand that is a logical piece and illogical to break the addiction with the very drug I’m addicted to, it works better for me to use gum or patch. Anyway...you will find your way and what will work and we are all here to help and root for you!

Eve1973

Mar-10

Hi Jerry,

Proud that you picked a date! I’m 46 and smoked over 30 years. I was up to a pack n half a day. Yes this is a very hard habit to break, even harder than heroin.......but it’s worth it!

You have a great family......don’t you want to be around to hold and play with your grandchildren?

Read all the articles on here, Alan Carr’s book is VERY helpful. I am still reading it. Make a plan, and sit with your wife and explain that her SUPPORT, will be critical in your success!

This forum is most of my support, and I have so far hung in there and kept with it. Many different things people do to get through a craving, go for walk, distractions are fantastic, drink ice water thru a straw, gum, mints.....etc. Find yours but don’t give up. We are rooting for you!

Best to you Eve 1/30/2020

Jerry9126

Mar-10

Eve,

Thank you so much for your response. It’s so helpful when you can hear positive things from others. I am learning so much from this forum. What is the name of that book that you mentioned?

Jerry9126

Mar-10

Thank you so much for your response. I can already see that communicating with others through this forum can be such a great help!

DebraAnne60

Mar-10

Allan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking"

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the Forum.  I was terrified of quitting smoking when I quit but this forum gave me the support I needed to begin and stay on the journey.  I know you can do this, just take one day at a time.

Supplies to Stock Up On Before You Quit

These Tools Will Help You Quit Smoking

Practical Tips for Your First Smoke-Free Week

Updated November 19, 2015. You may feel like you're on a roller coaster during the first couple of weeks of smoking cessation. Whether you use a quit aid of some sort or go cold turkey, you're going to feel some discomforts due to nicotine withdrawal.

Eve1973

Mar-11

Jerry,

See Debra’s comment! This forum is so very helpful! Stay close 

DebraAnne60

Mar-11

Hi Marge, is there a link in the forum to the Allan Carr's book, The Easy Way to Quite Smoking?

Hi Debra

We do not carry links to books sold online but all they have to do is google it themselves and it comes right up.