About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

DAY 26 mega struggle   Quit Support

Started Mar-13 by Craftyhels; 1062 views.
Eagle646

Mar-18

You can do this, you must stay strong and committed to your quit.

This is not the worst of it, sorry. It's still early in your quit, but it will eventually get better and better. But on your time. Take one day at a time. Remember each day you make it through is one day closer to that day when you'll feel it get easier. 

Vent, read posts, vent some more, read some more, vent even more and more, as much as you need to. Remember, while typing your post you are distracting yourself from the cravings and anxiety.

If you are doing this cold turkey, you don't have to. It's not a crime to use NRT's (like the patch, gum, lozenges, etc). They can help and the bottom line is to quit no matter how you have to do it. Your quit meter still ticks, you are not smoking.

A lot of the feelings you are going through is anxiety. It was huge for me. I don't have any more trees in the yard. I ate them the first 7 days with the shrubs for desert.

Drink ICE COLD water, take deeeeep breaths. It does make a difference. If it is cold where you are, open the door and take a deep breath of the cold air. 

Your attention span may become limited, it's hard to focus. Try cleaning anything you can, even if it's clean, clean it again. The action is a distraction and that's what you need.

Listen to comforting music. If you watch TV don't watch anything with a plot you have to follow. Watch the Funny videos or a cartoon. Even those adult orientated cartoon shows can take your attention. There's no real plot to follow and you can come and go as you please.

But the most important thing you can do is not to smoke. Think of all the rewards. I know it's hard, but if you can make it through this, you can make it through anything. This IS the hardest addiction to beat, but when you finally sever that tie you will feel a rush of relief and pride.

You are among quite a few of us long-time smokers. 42+ years for me and now quit more than 7 years.

...and before you ask, yes, it does get easier. It does get better. Just one day at a time.

Garry

Quit Feb 24, 2013

Loreficent

Mar-19

Hi again, 

I think I asked in a different post about tips. You gave great ones here, thank you!

Craftyhels

Mar-21

Thanks Garry, some great advice there hun xx yep its a struggle but I havent caved in. Im on day 34 now and having watched all those poor souls in hospital in Italy fighting for each breath just reinforces the need for us all to be smoke free xx 

candrew

Mar-23

Dear Craftyhels

Its downright insane what we have gone through for all those years. I know its going to take while to get used to this this new lifestyle . We are probably suffering from psychological withdrawals, a very powerful state of mind. I'm afraid this will be with us for awhile. I think  the worst is over as long as I stay smoke free.

I am proud to announce my 35th day smoke free. It's my third try in 60 days, I am confident that is my last attempt. 

I hope this email finds you well. 

Andrew

In reply toRe: msg 24
Hapjap

Mar-23

I’m having a hard time, perhaps it’s the icky 3’s. Did the exorcist again yesterday. Thought about this virus and wanted to cry. Feel bad for what I’m doing to the only close person in my life. Can we appoint my husband for sainthood when this is over? I know a pack would make me feel better but I just can’t do it and I don’t know why. This really needs to pass, sooner than later. I really DO know why

DebraAnne60

Mar-23

yeah, made me laugh too

Loreficent

Mar-27

Just stumbled on this...another sticky note made! This is good wisdom for so many things.