About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Stress Re: Virus    General Chit-Chat

Started Mar-16 by Eve1973; 1861 views.
Eve1973

Mar-16

Hi Everyone, 

Just wanted to Inspire all the non smokers! Yes we are all probably stressed regarding this Virus. No matter where you live in the world, We are ALL in this TOGETHER! 

Now my thought especially if newly quit, maybe there is a reason we chose to quit when we did. Maybe we needed our lungs healed some when this virus hit for our own survival. What ever you believe for a higher power, just maybe you were needed to be healed some to do something! Just a thought! 

Don’t always express myself great in writings, but I hope this inspires you to STAY QUIT! 

Stay SAFE everyone, EVE 1/30/2020

Loreficent

Mar-16

Mmmm...thanks Eve,

Have been pondering along those lines myself and I think you articulated the thought very clearly. Thank you for putting it out there as I bet many of us newbies have had at least a passing thought of that.

Ive also been thinking how Mother Nature often has an interesting way of slowing us down. Kind a way of telling us to regroup and reconnect with loved ones, perhaps in a more meaningful way, like just stay home with them and hang out! Our lives get harried in our culture and we tend to get caught up in stress and worry and business and drama. It is nice right now to just be home with my daughter. She is is 17 and will soon be flying the nest as all healthy little birds should. I’m grateful to have these few weeks of simpler times with her. 

“Always look on the bright side of life...da do da do da dodadodo! earth_americassunnyrainbow

Eve1973

Mar-16

Hey Lor,

see that’s your bright side.....I’m happy for you! I don’t have any kids....but I can see how this will be an opportunity to have some quality time! 

Be safe and enjoy! 

Loreficent

Mar-16

Well, I had her kind of late, at 42, and without trying, so she is definitely my bright side. She is very very happy I have quit smoking! I tell her how luck she is that kids seem to get more education on it nowadays. Our culture has a way to go with that but it is definitely different than when I was a teen with my high school smoking area and all.

She keeps me younger for sure. So do all of my fur babies!

Stay well Eve. We will get through this. 

Hapjap

Mar-16

I really should stop watching the news. Good news, hubs is not going to CA. His sister lives in NJ and decided not to go either. They will have a memorial service when things calm down. Was starting to get anxious earlier. I went and brushed my teeth again. So grateful for these tricks.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Loreficent

Mar-16

Yes. Stop watching. There is nothing new. It is out there. Do what you can and let it go. Don’t underestimate the power of media hysteria and an alarmist approach. I know you are a few weeks ahead of me in quitting but we are still new and fragile. Fill your mind and soul with thoughts of health and life! We are susceptible in many subconscious ways, us humble humans. My mind could readily turn all the hype into fuel for the addict. It could for all of us even if only on a subconscious level. Look at all the good in this so far!! Less carbon emissions impact already on our planet! A chance to slow down and pause, reconnect with others and ourselves. 
We truly do not have enough data yet to know a whole bunch. Go with what we do know. In this moment we are healthy. We are healing. We are stronger than we know.

Turn that stuff off. Let yourself get an update for what is going on in YOUR AREA ONLY once maybe twice a day, then just turn it off. It is kind of like smoking. You’re a non smoker till you light up. You don’t have COVID19 until you get it. 
Let’s marvel at the fragility of humankind. Mother Nature knows exactly what she is doing, and we will see the wisdom only in our hindsight.

You will be fine Hapjap!! 

Eve1973

Mar-16

Omg Lor  I think you are right on the money, I have watched all weekend......went to work, and was absolutely ANGRY! No one is doing social distancing, people eating in restaurants.....and many other things happened! On the way home from work, pondering in my head.....actually reached into my coat pockets for my cigs. Thank goodness not there! Probably would have lit up without realizing. Calmed myself down and actually thought everything you wrote and then came home and read your post. I gotta stop watching! 
I’m going to go relax .... and distress....may not be back on tonight. Be safe all!

CC to Hapjap
Loreficent

Mar-16

Thank you Eve,

I was worried about coming across as too harsh and that was not my intention. I am angry too, but in a different way. I’m angry there is not more reassurance for folks. But that doesn’t sell. One thing all the medical folks DO KNOW is that emotional stress and duress increase cortisol levels. Fact of physiology. Cortisol is our stress hormone. High levels of that have direct correlation with decreased immune response. So what she all be hearing at a minimum is some factual reassurance, if nothing more than throwing it in for good measure! We all know what a hysterical response breeds. 
Anyway, this our place of reassurance and support and encouragement and my hope was to bring a bit of that to all of us! We need lower cortisol levels right now and fresh clean air and good energy! We can freak ourselves out enough with our smoking history and such, but we can only change it forward not reverse. So we all will keep on keeping on and do our best to stay well, right! 
Im glad we are all here. blossomhibiscusrabbit2

CC to Hapjap
Hapjap

Mar-17

Our neighbors across the street and hubs and I decided to work on our fences. We basically need a new one. Neighbors need a good cleaning and painting. That should keep us busy. We have our first case of corona in our county. I have no plans on going anywhere.

JerseyDee

Mar-17

Eve -- hope you overcame the stress/trigger for a smoke yesterday on your way home from work.  This is a confusing and stressful time we are going through right now.  I hope this gets better under control soon.  Don't know if we will be open at work this week and if I will be working Thurs & Fri .. for now I am laying low and just taking walks ..

Trying to stay around from crowds, etc .. hopefully everyone else is and we can eradicate this virus.

Hang in there.  Crazy times right now but smoking is not going to help you .. it is just a trick to try to imprison you again.