About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Stress   Quit Support

Started Mar-19 by JerseyDee; 624 views.
JerseyDee

Mar-19

Eve touched upon this the other day but today ... The stress of this virus bringing on cravings.

Today is not like any other day in my quit so far ... I am facing some serious stress in thinking oh what thr hrck ... Just onr cigarette ... It isn't going to hurt anything... I am thinking real negative .. I know it is due to thinking of this virus thoughts .. Need help changing my mindset right now. Help!

Loreficent

Mar-19

Don’t.

You are doing the single best thing you can do to help yourself if you become ill. Not only with COVID19 but anything. Breathe the fresh air. Stay in this moment right here and now. One moment at a time Dee. Just lean in and hunker down. It is just a thought. Recognize it, shrug, and get on with your life.

Just don’t. 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Loreficent

Mar-19

I think you should not be imposing such strict limits with yourself and the gum. Have you tried the patch? If you were a regular smoker they are designed to be a 10 week quit program. All of known evidence shows that those who use NRT and a system like this have better odds of success. There are those who can cold turkey and that is so awesome! I am not one of them. I failed miserably at that approach. The bottom line is what works for you and nobody here thinks anything less of what ever that method is for another. It is whatever works. The cold turkey folks amaze me! But if gum is helping you do it. 

DebraAnne60

Mar-19

NO Way!!!!! - DON'T DO IT

You have come so far - the most critical days of your quite are behind you - don't go back.  Re-read your journal, remember how hard it was for your to drop those last couple of smokes, remember when you were dumpster diving for a few drags off of old smokes - you don't want to go back there do ya

Chew another piece of gum, -  if you have to- double up on it.  Chew a huge wad of gum but do not, DO NOT, DON'T SMOKE!!!  

Eve1973

Mar-19

Agree with Lor......turn off the TV! I think your at wOrk though, so stop looking at the social media/news etc.  Listen their is not much ME AND YOU can do to make this situation stop, except do our part, stay away from people the best you can. Use the hand sanitizer, don’t go on unnecessary trips to stores! The more people do this the less this will spread, plus it does give health care workers a chance to get a handle on this!

So I talked to a health care worker today, He said that they are running out of PPE..... they are treating the people with the respiratory problems, he has a Son at home to care for and has a family member quarantined! And through all this he STILL HAS TO WORK! Put my fears in perspective. Not saying we are not going to be stressed, but as long as I know I am doing everything possible NOT to spread this....that’s all I can do. I don’t have the power to do anything else! 

If you smoke, you will NOT change anything.... stay strong Deana! You will only be mad at yourself!

Hi Dee,

One of the biggest triggers of all in our quit journey is 'stress', especially that kind of stress that comes on suddenly as in a job loss or the death of a loved one.  These events trigger a huge desire to have 'one'.   You can get through this with all of us here on the forum.  One of the things the article below talks about is that smoking will do nothing to make the situation better.  Talk it through in your head.  You take that cigarette and smoke it -it's all over in 3 minutes and you are left with what?

Dee- This is a bit from my second year milestone.  Throughout my first year I had not experienced a great sorrow or loss(besides, of course, all the normal stress of quitting).  We will all be confronted with this at one time or another and right now we all probably have some anxiety going on.  Don't let it kill your quit.  You can develop a game plan to beat it - deep breathing - exercise and other helpful techniques.  You can get through this - we all can - with the help of each other and a plan for stress.

Year Two - Out the Rough Edges (This Thing Called Stress)

"Three months into my second year a tragic event occurred in my family. It was one of those non-seasonal triggers and it hit hard and fast.  My brain was begging for a cigarette as I watched a family member smoke.  All I wanted to do was grab it out of her hand.   Thanks to this forum I was prepared.  I was able to think through being right back where I started and having let down myself and my buddy group. I did clearly need more help handling sudden stress. So, as I reach my much second year, I thought a lot about what this year meant to me.  It’s meant going back to the basics and being informed about stress and learning new tools to cope until they become as automatic as the urge to smoke when stress hits.

So, I would say to anyone without regard to time quit that we all need a plan.  Stress can easily evolve into a `quit killer’.   A sudden stress event can hit at any time, expect it and prepare for it.  Believe me, it will happen and when it does our emotions run high".

JerseyDee

Mar-19

Thank you Deboranne -- I did not do it.  I chewed a second piece of gum and I may end up having another before I go to bed tonight.  I was convinced I had contracted it as my forehead felt really hot at work this afternoon .. however, came home and took temp and it is normal.  

i was just so panicked.  This virus scare thing is really getting the better of me . however, what stopped me from smoking was thinking *if* I did get it that is very worst thing I can do to myself as it is respitory in nature.

I am back on the saddle again though.  No longer thinking of the virus nor a smoke.  - Deana

JerseyDee

Mar-19

Thank you Eve .. I am doing better now .. thank you for your support.  - Deana

JerseyDee

Mar-19

Thank you Marge.  Very helpful.

Eve1973

Mar-19

Great ! I was worried!