About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What will you do with the MONEY?   General Chit-Chat

Started Mar-27 by JerseyDee; 274 views.
JerseyDee

Mar-27

So .. with costs of smokes now going up to $10 a pack for my brand here in Jersey and my habit of 1.5 smokes a day I will be saving $15 a day or a whopping $450 a month!  I literally would have not been able to afford any longer at that cost.

I can't even afford to set that aside and save that monthly.  Instead I am going to set aside the $300 that I was previously spending on cigarettes as an average and put into savings monthly when life gets back to normal and am working again.

In a year I will have saved $3600.  I am putting that toward a tummy tuck .. I know silly to some .. but I had gained a lot of weight after my injury and have lost all but 15 of it but it has left with me with some unsightly saggy skin in my lower belly ..

It's problematic for me as I was always an extremely active and fit person and seeing it just reminds me of the very dark years I went through with surgeries, pain, debilitation, etc .. and all during that while I also found comfort .. and I smoked way too much at that.  Was really living a very unhealthy  lifestyle is the bottom line,

Anyway, over the past 1.5 yrs I have gotten most of the weight off and now feel like my old self again, however, that skin on my belly really is a sad reminder and I want it gone.  

Have met with Drs about it and they said insurance will likely cover *some* of as medically necessary as it is pulling on my pelvic girdle and adding to all my back problems and pain but will not cover the whole thing.

As I only work part time due to pain I do not have the money to pay for the remainder of this surgery .. however, by saving my cigarette money I do! .. 

So that is my plan. That is what I am saving up for.  In a year to year and half's time my life will be really turned around from this medical nightmare.  My belly will flat again and I will long be done with cigarettes.

That is the long story of how my cigarette money is now going to serve me.  I look forward to everyone else's plans .. any nice vacation you are saving for?   Putting money away towards a nice, new car?  Some other sort of new toy? ...

Once life goes back to normal and you working again what will you be saving for?

This is just an exercise for some reading material for all of us and a way to bond my quitting friends but I do look forward to hearing from others.  Please participate in this thread!  

A happy smoke free Friday to all of us.  We are doing this. We are winning.  And I appreciate each you during this journey!

Loreficent

Mar-27

Hi Dee,

Those are good aspirations for you to spend your saved money. You should spend on whatever fulfills you and makes you happy!!

I can’t say I have a plan. I have not been putting aside so to speak, or added it up really. I should. Will give me something to think about. I did have a trip to Vienna and Prague that I was supposed to go on April 21st for 2 weeks that is now cancelled. No refund from airlines but they will let us reschedule, so probably next April. 
I will think about the money part. I should have been thinking about it all along, but didn’t really. I’m afraid if I figure it out now what I’ve burned up over the years it will make me cry!

I am so grateful to have made this decision to stop that mostly I’ve been thinking about how good I a, feeling physically. I notice a huge difference in breathing and my partner notices too. He is not a smoker, but is amazingly supportive and happy for me to have stopped. He was gracious all along really and seemed to have always known it had to be something I did for me and not because he didn’t like it. He smoked as a teen for a few years, but was one of the lucky ones that realized around 19 he didn’t want to anymore. 
So I’ll think about the money side. 
Breathing more deeply everyday is worth more than anything for sure. 

Eve1973

Mar-28

I sent you a PM on top of pAge look for something in orange 

JerseyDee

Mar-28

Thanks Eve.  I hadn't noticed that.  I just replied to you.  

Off to try to squeeze a walk in with the dog while the skies look to have cleared up temporarily.  Then it's laundry time.  The rest of the afternoon .. who knows? .. hard with both, lock down + rainy and even outdoor exercise off the table.

Write back when you have the chance.  Have a nice Saturday morning.

JerseyDee

Mar-28

Hello there.  I know what you mean about not wanting to calculate how much $ you wasted in cigarettes over the years. I haven't figured that either .. I know I would be very annoyed at myself.

It is too bad that your trip was cancelled and you lost money.  Hopefully you can next year.

It is good that you have an understanding partner.  I am sure he understands to a degree as he dabbled with it when he was a teen.  Probably gets the draw of it.  Lucky for him he never got hooked though.

I am glad you are feeling stronger and stronger each day in this quit. I think we are about the same amount of time into this .. right?  Today is day 23 for me.  Starting to really notice some changes .. and thanks by the way for making me see the light on using NRT's and it not being such a bad thing .. I am no longer beating myself up over it.

I hope you are having a pleasant smoke free day out in Portland today.  It is rainy yucky day out my way.  Can't even take walks today to get mind off the lock down and pass the time.  Bummer.

Amicahomi

Mar-28

Locked down in a nearby state since 3/9, Jersey.  Only reliable food delivery is a really good local gourmet market (poor me).  So today, to get mind off confinement and reward self for cessation progress, I made gray sole meuniere with mixed wild, red and white rice and fresh green beans and souverain 2004 from a WNY winery to chase it.  Only wish I'd included some red pickled cabbage.  So sad, social distancing meant no co-diners to enjoy.  Food obsessed much?  Owell, really needed distraction.  Lemon tart coming up after cleanup. NO SMOKES for for 360 days!  Thousand saved.

JerseyDee

Mar-28

Your dinner sounds absolutely delicious. 

Yes this lock down sure changes life.

360 days quit ... Good for you! ..  You are closing in on the one year mark. Looking forward to the day I can say that!

Amicahomi

Mar-28

Actually that thousands saved.  + or - One pack of Capri menthols per day at over $10.00 per pack one year ago - more now.  So, ballpark, $300 per month -   about 2/3 of the cost of the wall-to-wall I bought (though it is not installed yet).  Still, enough left for fancy groceries.

SusanK1960

Mar-28

Good for you!  I love your extravagance and at almost a year,  you should celebrate!  Dinner sounded beautiful!

Loreficent

Mar-28

Oh my! That dinner sounds fabulous! It also sounds you are certainly a better chef than me. 
Congratulations on the near year!! That is very much worth a celebration!